Hostility Towards Negative Reviews

Can someone tell me WHY some people fully :rolleyes:review their cruises in the general CC forum area......as opposed to the Member Cruise Review ?

Doing so, when there is a negative review, makes certain members defend their personal love of the ship or the cruiseline ! No ?

I find the Review section interesting and informative. And not a wrestling match ! And as always taken with a grain of salt.

Many post pictures and answer specific questions regarding the ship/ports from others. This is not possible in the member cruise review section.

With a ship filled with people, by percentages, some are not going to have a great cruise. It is impossible to think otherwise. When something goes really wrong they start to notice the little things going wrong as well. That is very natural. It is usually when someone had a bad trip that they seek out a place to vent and Cruise Critic leads in Goggle when they do that search so they come here. And they rarely try to counter argue their own feeling of anger or stress.

I don't ignore them as there is a chance that if you'all gave good advice to them, they may feel better and find some resolution. Imagine if Carnival treated someone's complaints by slamming them for having the nerve to say things went wrong. They would not be in business long.

It does no good to treat them worse than the company would since Carnival may even feel their complaints are justified. Why can't we just tell them where to go for help with their issues and treat them with respect while letting Carnival make the call. It would be a shame to drive complaining cruisers away without Carnival ever having a chance to remedy some of these issues. I am asking more than telling.

Everyone is not going to have a great cruise. Things go wrong.

Things do go wrong.

And just because it has not been my particular experience does not mean that it does not happen.

As for defending Carnival or trying to help them retain a customer, ahh, I don't work for Carnival.

And I sincerely believe, based on my own experience, that Carnival would benefit from increased customer service and people handling skills training. Also I found that there also may be cultural or language differences getting in the way of understanding.

If someone asks I will tell them my opinion based on my experience.

For example, cruising may be more affordable than one might think...or not...depending on how much research they are willing to do.

The food is okay, sometimes wonderful, but sometimes mediocre.

No, I have not seen tribes of naked drunks roaming the hall puking and urinating.

Yes, normal people can feel comfortable onboard.

No, I don't like their shows and would not watch them unless they paid me to, but some people really enjoy them. My mom did.

Yes, someone who likes to sit outside, read and gaze at the sea will have no trouble finding a quiet spot to enjoy.

And finally, you are buying a ride on a boat, not a best friend.

You are not a member of Carnival; you are a customer.

Educate yourself because they are not going to hold your hand when something goes wrong.

One of the more recent reviews of the Splendor, I think February, only gave the ship a one ribbon (or whatever they are).

Opened the review and the rater gave mostly 3s and 4s and did not have much bad to say about their experience altoghter.

So my question is, why only give 1 ribbon instead of 3 or 4?

OP, my hats off to you...I commend you for that. I have been on here for years, and don't post a lot because of just that reason. I read, but don't post. Guess I don't have thick skin and can't take some of the negativity this board and others dish out.

Just sayin'.....

first off, not everyone can write. and I've also learned that not everyone can read.

and then, there are some that jump to conclusions.

but tantanmount is to know HOW to write to the intended audience.

a trash piece about carnival written on the rccl board will be met with praise, and the same thing posted here will be picked apart, line by lie, word by word.

but clearly, if one wishes to write and share any experience here, they better be prepared to defend their.experience, or move on. why else would one write it?

hyperbole always stands out, and when one writes using such, they better have some thick skin.

I didn't have any one particular review in mind but all the negative ones. I do thank for your your reply though.

I just dont see how its considered malicious intent when a person posts a bad review. Some folks just have no tact. Why fake a bad review? Do folks think other cruise lines send in trolls to create such posts?

are you kidding? did you not see the recent trip advisor clib wherre the guy was paid to make phony, less than flattering, posts?

if i were "in the business", this place is the perfect breeding ground to mar my competition.

I'm with you - why does the OP care in the first place? :confused:

Maybe because they are afraid that when they get back from their Carnival cruise in April and find themselves in a position to post a less than glowing review, they will be called unflattering names and be chewed up and spit out by certain members of this board. The whole process is rather juvenile.

Why?????

I think a review should list both good and bad, it can focus on one more than the other but as long as it covers both, I consider it a good review.

BUT

If it has nothing but glowing admiration of the cruise and lists no cons, I feel the review is incomplete. Same goes for one with nothing but negativity. To me both types are incomplete and biased but appreciated nonetheless.

So what if a persons first and only post is a negative review. Many searches about cruise questions lead on to this site and many will assume its a place to get a good review. Good reviews are critical in nature (of course how good depends on balance and tact.

Most people are not professional critics and shouldn't be expected to create well read and balanced reviews. Hell the pros dont balance stuff out. Look at movie reviews.

When I look into doing things I look at all the reviews I can, especially the negative ones. Not to discourage me, just so I know what the possibilities are. I know most who are happy with things never leave a review for anything, its mostly the pissed off folks at times. I know for every one bad review of almost anything, there are 10 times more happy folks who just went on their way.

So for those here who get angry or mildly hostile when a negative review is posted. Why? Why take it personally? If its because of brand loyalty I can sort of understand the emotion behind it, just not the action. If you like the brand to the point of emotion, why not be an ambassador to it?

Instead of calling them a troll and such,why not empathize and reassure? If they come back, your pet brand does well, they succeed and you get to enjoy your favorite brand longer.

Running them off and calling them trolls will ensure they never return. Even if they say they are done with said brand, they may turn around, YOU may turn them around. But you sure wont by being a course jerk to them.

So what if they only post one. To some folks, me included, they find places like this, drop a review and move on. You may never hear from them again. So what? It does not mean they are being a troll and have malicious intent. They might just be leaving a review and thats it.

Anyway. I just don't see why being hostile is so popular with some. You guys who are the most passionate have the most power to sway them and keep your brand in business with repeat sales.

Use your passion to help rather then to hinder.

It is the same way that some people on here get so up in arms over tipping & everything else. They feel the need to control & dictate to everyone the way they should think & feel. I like to hear about the negatives as I take them with a grain of salt. It also allows me to maybe watch for something when I cruise. Is it going to change me based upon a review, NO. Reveiews are opinions, I base my decisions on facts. Now if you say something Negative & then I read a Press Release from Carnival somewhat substaniating it, then that I will believe more. And that is something that might change my mind about something.

Overall there are too many CC Religious Nuts on here that monopolize these forums. I know I will get flamed, but hey I DONT CARE. I cruise to get away from the pressures of life & the drama in it. Some of these people here add to it based upon their posts & negative attitude to those of us who dont toe their line.

OK, FLAME on me everyone.....

...but more importantly, op, why does this bother you?

More important to me is why do you need to ask why it bothers him. He is expressing his thoughts & feelings. Negative or Positive. I thought that was what these forums were for. But I guess that you & the others that ask this is trying to say in a subtle way. WE WANT TO CONTROL THINGS HERE

I didn't have any one particular review in mind but all the negative ones. I do thank for your your reply though.

I just dont see how its considered malicious intent when a person posts a bad review. Some folks just have no tact. Why fake a bad review? Do folks think other cruise lines send in trolls to create such posts?

Bad reviews are faked all the time ~ both on here and Trip Advisor. It's a proven fact and people have admitted it, on national TV, no less. :)

It's an easy way to smear their competition (for cruiselines, hotels, restaurants, etc).

If someone posts one negative review and every single thing was bad, then I tend to believe it's the person, not the experience.

My review was probably a little too much on the "positive" side, but honestly, the stuff I noticed that I didn't like wasn't enough to bother me or impact my vacation. *shrug*

I appriciate all reviews, good or bad. Let's me know where to go, what to look out for, where to avoid, etc. What I DON'T appriciate is people who come on here, post one 'nightmare' story and never return. Maybe they really did have a terrible time, maybe there are making it all up. Who knows. What I know is that I don't give much credence to such one post reports.

More important to me is why do you need to ask why it bothers him. He is expressing his thoughts & feelings. Negative or Positive. I thought that was what these forums were for. But I guess that you & the others that ask this is trying to say in a subtle way. WE WANT TO CONTROL THINGS HERE

i'm curious, and am asking the op. I thought that was what these forums were for. not sure why i need you to ask me why i need to ask him. :rolleyes:

to the OP... as one of the people you called out earlier by using the term "troll" I still feel this review was written by a troll.

I know not all reviews need to be granduer or trash. I too have experienced some sub par things on a cruise. In my last review I mentioned things that bothered me. Did it ruin my cruise heck no. I go looking for the best in things... I also go into a cruise well informed knowing what could possibly go wrong.

I know to each there own. I might love something someone hates and vice versa. but I really think if you can not find one thing you enjoyed about the cruise you are just typing this to stir the pot aka Troll

I mean the service could of been bad, the food not to your liking, other guests enough to make you want to push them overboard, the ship not as great as you had hoped. But really you did not enjoy the weather, the ports, there was no one person on the cruise you had a conversation w/ that made you happy.

I have only cruised CCL and find myself defending my choice to cruise CCl to others in my life. I still don't find myself a CCl cheerleader. I have just not had a oppertunity to branch out my

I have had issues on my cruises I have also come here to vent... sometimes I had sympathy other times I have been flamed to no end. But I am not a troll as I still come back to chat, I defended my original post, I offer help when I can, etc.

I do value everyone opinion. I take a little nugget from the good and bad reviews.

are you kidding? did you not see the recent trip advisor clib wherre the guy was paid to make phony, less than flattering, posts?

if i were "in the business", this place is the perfect breeding ground to mar my competition.

Where did you get I was kidding. I asked a question and you gave me an answer. I wondered if what you said was ever the case. It seems it is.

Now for the blatantly glowing raving reviews by new low post count folks. Those aren't trolls as well? Using what you mentioned, this place would be ripe to put in some phony positive reviews as well. Of course glowing reviews are easier to swallow so I can see how they slip by.

To put my 2 cents in...I think that if someone comes here and their first and only post is totally negative about their cruise than they did not do enough research prior to their cruise or they are totally incapable of being satisfied period.

Most of the ones I have seen once someone calls them out as a troll 'poof' they are gone. They don't stay to defend themselves.

Thus showing, they are a troll.

To put my 2 cents in...I think that if someone comes here and their first and only post is totally negative about their cruise than they did not do enough research prior to their cruise or they are totally incapable of being satisfied period.

Most of the ones I have seen once someone calls them out as a troll 'poof' they are gone. They don't stay to defend themselves.

Thus showing, they are a troll.

Or maybe they feel they don't have to defend themselves.

Benefit of the doubt folks.

And I'm curious, why does writing a negative review mean someone didn't do their research? I have had plenty of experiences where I researched something to death only to be disappointed because something went wrong on me. I think you are generalizing and making assumptions.

Archived