Hostility Towards Negative Reviews

My rule in life is to always apply the "sniff test". I just ask myself does this smell fishy? Does it appear logical? Would a common person, applying common sense, look at it and say something just doesn't add up. I also remind myself that I am only getting one side of the story.

This applies to things people tell you, things you see, things you read and things in the news. I am amazed at how many times people automatically believe something they hear based one source. It doesn't mean you have to come out and call them a liar, but you don't have to believe them either. Some people lie, some people exaggerate. All people see the same event through a different set of eyes.

because it was a little odd to start a whole new thread about this. Why not try posting in one of the existing negative review threads?

I did in a few but honestly it was off topic. It was for their review, not me asking why they called them trolls. I wanted to avoid hijacking the threads further.

Starting a separate thread seemed entirely appropriate for some reason.

i have found that if the review is negative, the more you read, the more you find that that person wouldn't be satisfied no matter what. A balanced review gives more credability to the poster.

People get called trolls here because they come on, post a negative review, then we never hear from them again. It's amazing how they never find this board before their cruise to learn what it's all about, but somehow always seem to find it after to vent that they didn't get what they expected.

i can understand where you are coming from when you say you never here from them again. However, I have been a member of this site for many years and i don't have many posts. I read many of the posts that interest me, but i am not the type who has to jump in on every thread. You can learn more by just listening or reading than talking and having to respond to every thread. I'm on here quite alot, but rarely post. Another main reason i don't like to get involved in these threads is a good bit of people on here don't want to hear anything one has to say unless they agree with it. I said all of that to say that this could be a reason why they are one post wonders.

Gee, do you have proof to back this accusation? (note: I see Mach already addressed this and my thoughts seem to be right on)

If one really thinks about it, a newbie cruiser can take their first cruise only to be disappointed. At that point, they may decide to tell others about how horrible it was - quick internet search reveals a site called "cruise CRITIC". Wow, seems like the perfect place to warn others to me ... We have to remember that we, 'cruise critiquers', are in quite the minority of the cruising masses. Research can be done any number of ways for a cruise - not just through this site.

I truly feel for those folks who end up being verbally attacked for stating their opinion. No cruise line is perfect no matter how many cheer leaders say it is.

There in lies the problem. If you will statistically note how many of the reviews you read that are posted as 100% negative, I think you will note that the majority are first posts. You will also note that the majority of them do not start, ".....I've been lurking here and other websites for months to get research on my upcoming cruise...." and then post a 100% negative post. It just does not happen IF one has done one iota of research ahead of time. I am well on record about not being able to understand with even one grey cell, those people who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a vacation and then literally never do one hour of research, let alone days, weeks or months worth (how does this happen???).

I can only speak for myself, but if I read a review on any subject (be it travel, retail objects, whatever) and I find that the post is either 100% good or 100% bad they cannot be trusted. I've yet to find anything in life that is completely good or completely bad and everything has some pros and cons. Further, I think you will also find that, statistically speaking, the reviews that are 100% negative are written in such a way that you can take away, typically with crystal clarity, that the person posting same is someone who God Himself could not make happy. You can read by their words that they are just generally unhappy people who would make Eeyore look like Rachel Ray. In addition, statistically speaking, those who post 100% negative reviews never come back to answer such questions as, "Did you not experience ONE THING good on the cruise," or "Was the weather nice?" or any other question that might elicit a POSITIVE response.

I also know that since I have been here there have been some instances of old timers opening new accounts and posting controversial topics, but as Mach pointed out, those are dealt with (usually) swiftly. And yes, I am convinced those people get off on all the attention, like a 3 year old who will act up to get mommy's attention, be it good or bad, it's just the attention they want.

I can fully respect a bad review, as long as there are at least some mentions along the way, of the good. I have been traveling since I was 20 (27 years), cruising since 1984 and while I have had many, many trips that were in the 90s% for awesomeness category, none have been 100%. I don't think there is such a thing, quite frankly. Given that we are all imperfect humans, I don't think it is realistic to expect that. One thing I have noticed about the negative reviews is, I find myself checking things off the list. For example, someone might whine about having to wait for the elevators. While a negative for them, I check that off as a "doesn't bother me" category and by the time I finish the negative review, I realize how blessed I am to not be bothered by so many small things. Cannot imagine living that way :eek:

a true newbie doesn`t know we can see their last visiting time, as well as the little green light.

conjecture at best.

Why would you care when they last visited? Besides, just because they may have logged in, they still did not go to the thread they started and feel no need to justify their perspective. Especially with the hostility that come from some of the members here.

OP. You have to understand human behaviour to understand what you are questioning. People like to feel superior over others and like to show that superiority expecially over the net. They also take great offence when, in their opinion, the company can do no wrong and by posting a negative review, it must be the poster that caused it or it must be fake. They get very protective over "their" cruise line and combined with that they can enjoy being rude, immature, know-it-alls without having accountability due to the net. It simply makes them feel better about themselves in real life.

You can even see some of it happening on this thread.

Love it!! And so true.

IMO some of the negativity is pointed at people who seem to have nothing good to say, and want to wallow in their pity, and bring others into their pity party with them...

Gets really tired, really fast.

There are some people out there who just love being unhappy....

Has anyone ever thought that the reason why some people come to Cruise Critic to post a critical reveiw on their first visit here is because of all the Cruise Critic Member's Signs they see on the cabin doors on the ship they are sailing on?

The first thing I thought of when I saw my first Cruise Critic door sign was something like; "huh, I wonder if these people are like food or theatrical critics?" I am just glad that I checked this place out because everything I have learned about cruising I learned right here.

THANKS for all your great advice everyone!

Archived