Hostility Towards Negative Reviews

Bad reviews are faked all the time ~ both on here and Trip Advisor. It's a proven fact and people have admitted it, on national TV, no less. :)

It's an easy way to smear their competition (for cruiselines, hotels, restaurants, etc).

If someone posts one negative review and every single thing was bad, then I tend to believe it's the person, not the experience.

My review was probably a little too much on the "positive" side, but honestly, the stuff I noticed that I didn't like wasn't enough to bother me or impact my vacation. *shrug*

Thanks for that answer. It seems folks DO in fact troll like that. I did not know. I am guessing the opposite happens just as frequently as well.

Or maybe they feel they don't have to defend themselves.

Benefit of the doubt folks.

And I'm curious, why does writing a negative review mean someone didn't do their research? I have had plenty of experiences where I researched something to death only to be disappointed because something went wrong on me. I think you are generalizing and making assumptions.

exactly. i cruised carnival 18 times before i had to write a negative review.

Benefit of the doubt folks.

And I'm curious, why does writing a negative review mean someone didn't do their research? I have had plenty of experiences where I researched something to death only to be disappointed because something went wrong on me. I think you are generalizing and making assumptions.

I have done enough research to know that if something bad happens to take it with a grain of salt, I personally will not let it terrorize my cruise.

And as for them not defending themselves, I have seen people post 'I will never sail this line again' and give a lengthy explanation bashing the line or service and once someone asks them why the didn't, for example, contact guest services they never respond. If they took the time to post the negative review why not come back and explain further to those who would like to know? Some people might really like to know if they contacted GS or not...did GS not help them if they did?

That is just an example of something that would stick out at me as trollism.

Where did you get I was kidding. I asked a question and you gave me an answer. I wondered if what you said was ever the case. It seems it is.

Now for the blatantly glowing raving reviews by new low post count folks. Those aren't trolls as well? Using what you mentioned, this place would be ripe to put in some phony positive reviews as well. Of course glowing reviews are easier to swallow so I can see how they slip by.

Point well-taken. :) The "good" reviews probably don't get as much scrutiny by low count posters, but I guess we should be aware of them as well. :)

I agree with the OP. I have only cruised on Carnival. I have only been on 4 cruises. I came here before my 2nd cruise to do some research. My 1st cruise I didn’t know a thing about cruise ships other then the commercials I had seen. I have had mostly good things to say about my cruises but there have been a couple things that upset me. Actually both times were on the Ecstasy and both concerned how Carnival handled the situation. But each time I cruise, I do so with an open mind. I do read all the reviews - good and bad of the ship I will be on.

Some people perceive the same events differently, so we have to keep that in mind when it comes to all negative reviews/posts. Some people are not planners or researchers like we CC people are. Some do wait till after the fact to research a way to complain and find this website.

not sure why i need you to ask me why i need to ask him. :rolleyes:

Okay, children. If you can not behave, you will have to be separated. AND, you will lose your snack-time privileges. :D

OP, I'm with H82seaUgo (gosh, I hate typing that user name...so confusing!!) because it was a little odd to start a whole new thread about this. Why not try posting in one of the existing negative review threads?

Okay, children. If you can not behave, you will have to be separated. AND, you will lose your snack-time privileges. :D

OP, I'm with H82seaUgo (gosh, I hate typing that user name...so confusing!!) because it was a little odd to start a whole new thread about this. Why not try posting in one of the existing negative review threads?

Wouldn't that be construed as an "off topic post" by taking that OP's individual review and adding a plethora of other beliefs by this OP? I think it did warrant a new thread IMO.

Wouldn't that be construed as an "off topic post" by taking that OP's individual review and adding a plethora of other beliefs by this OP? I think it did warrant a new thread IMO.

I meant that the OP could try addressing the "reviewer" on that thread, instead of asking people who don't actually know why people do it. Otherwise, yes, it would be an "off-topic post".

OP. You have to understand human behaviour to understand what you are questioning. People like to feel superior over others and like to show that superiority expecially over the net. They also take great offence when, in their opinion, the company can do no wrong and by posting a negative review, it must be the poster that caused it or it must be fake. They get very protective over "their" cruise line and combined with that they can enjoy being rude, immature, know-it-alls without having accountability due to the net. It simply makes them feel better about themselves in real life.

You can even see some of it happening on this thread.

OP. You have to understand human behaviour to understand what you are questioning. People like to feel superior over others and like to show that superiority expecially over the net. They also take great offence when, in their opinion, the company can do no wrong and by posting a negative review, it must be the poster that caused it or it must be fake. They get very protective over "their" cruise line and combined with that they can enjoy being rude, immature, know-it-alls without having accountability due to the net. It simply makes them feel better about themselves in real life.

You can even see some of it happening on this thread.

you seem to be lumping all people into one category. is this a scientific study, or just how you perceive others?

There are some sites called complaint boards. I wasn't looking for them but when I have a cruise coming up, I read and google like a psycho. I have come across a few. There are some actually ridiculous complaints - far worse than anything I have read on here lol..(they are amusing to read-to me) Who knows if THOSE, too, are fake but there are enough that at least some must be real. I see some people declare that they "WILL GO ON EVERY WEBSITE OUT THERE TO LET THE WORLD KNOWWWWW" about whatever their particular complaint or issue was. So not all posters who APPEAR to be trolls are trolls. Maybe they don't come back because they are busy on the other thousands of sites, copy and pasting the same thing on them. As for the negative feedback they get...I'll read some, sometimes I am amused. I am internet savvy enough to know that in this day and age you will see and read a lot of BS and smart enough to know what is useful information. I think most people are. The ones who feel the need to fight with and insult strangers are probably not people I would care much for in the real world, so they don't concern me at all in cyberworld. :)

Exactly. It is possible that when a new poster writes a bad review, they are not going to spend 24/7 on CC like some of these members. When they do return a day or 2 later and read all the hostility against them, they probably just move on and choose not to associate with these people. In many cases, I can't say I blame them.

Exactly. It is possible that when a new poster writes a bad review, they are not going to spend 24/7 on CC like some of these members. When they do return a day or 2 later and read all the hostility against them, they probably just move on and choose not to associate with these people. In many cases, I can't say I blame them.

a true newbie doesn`t know we can see their last visiting time, as well as the little green light.

conjecture at best.

a true newbie doesn`t know we can see their last visiting time, as well as the little green light.

conjecture at best.

Perhaps, but that was not the case with the recent rant about the Paradise. The entire time I read, and returned to that thread, the green light was never on.

By the way, according to reports here on CC, that green light stays on for up to 15 minutes after you log off.

conjecture at best.

Just wanted to point out that just because they may be a "newbie" to CC doesn't mean they are newbies to message boards. ;)

Many people are well aware you can appear off-line when you actually aren't.

Perhaps, but that was not the case with the recent rant about the Paradise. The entire time I read, and returned to that thread, the green light was never on.

By the way, according to reports here on CC, that green light stays on for up to 15 minutes after you log off.

That member could of just turned on the setting that always shows them as "offline" even though they aren't.

conjecture at best.

Just wanted to point out that just because they may be a "newbie" to CC doesn't mean they are newbies to message boards. ;)

Exactly. The program and layout of Cruise Critic is not unique to them. This is a pretty standard internet board arrangement.

That member could of just turned on the setting that always shows them as "offline" even though they aren't.

Could have. But that's nothing more than a guess. Just like my guess they didn't want to return based on replies. It's all speculation and we will never know who was right.

That does happen but it's rarely the case. Moderators can see the IP address of the individual in question and if it's a current member the account is deleted and, generally, the post in question.

:)

Well said Mach, but as we both know with 3 and 4G it's very easy to portray a different IP. Not to mention the millions of "proxy" opportunities available.

Yes, it would be easy to call these folks "Trolls" since it fits with the cheerleader style, but I think it very arrogant to believe all these negative reviewers would go to such trouble.

YMMV

Why do people come on cruise critic for there 1 time post and let everybody know how bad a time they had. ? All they want is to charge up the post. They know what happens. Now whats true and whats not, nobody knows. People like to make things more the what they really are they like to make it sound good. Alot of people make ther own problems on a cruise or there expectations, they get that from what they read from someone they don't have a clue about. No cruise will be the same from week to week. Reviews really become entertainment, its only one person out of 2000 to 3200 people that were on the cruise. Even when you read a review from 2 people that were on the same cruise, they were in different worlds. Have fun reading, don't bet the farm on peoples reviews. God or bad, go see for yourself.

now i realize i`m entering my own world of conjecture, but when you read posts about triangles, signatures, countdown clocks, ignore, and best of all, "i can`t find my post, follwed by some long timer responses of "i never knew that" i would think it`s a lot less than many.

Archived