Port stops help please

Scorpiorose

Ok, I have some plans finally made:

Santorini - beaches and a car on our own

Olympia - Private taxi to Olympia, museums...

NOW....to firm up plans for Mykonos and Corfu

Suggestions? Which is good to just get off and do the port area and see what is offered on the pier?

Not a lot of readily accessable beaches on Santorini. Some. Your rental car will be required. The scenary in Oia is the best.

Olympia, OK. You have to see Olympia. A guide would be nice. We did a ships excursion that was Olympia and the Mercouri Vineyards- wine tasting and a pretty large snack. One of the best ship's excursions I have ever done.

Corfu- We took a island tour. If we had it to do all over, we would take the shuttle into town.

Haven't been to Mykonos.

Ok, I have some plans finally made:

Santorini - beaches and a car on our own

Olympia - Private taxi to Olympia, museums...

NOW....to firm up plans for Mykonos and Corfu

Suggestions? Which is good to just get off and do the port area and see what is offered on the pier?

You can do a search back and see lots of earlier posts on options for Mykonos. What we did was walking around this island's main village with its narrow passage ways, seeing the windmills and harbor scenes, etc., in the morning. Then, in the afternoon, we got a rental car and explored some of the various beach areas, etc. Below are some of my visuals from visiting lovely Mykonos. Your plans can be affected by how many other ships are in port that day and how it impacts the crowds. If you like the old, old stuff, there is the historic Delos Island, an archaeological sanctuary, 30 minutes away by boat. It is rated as one of the five most important sites in Greece, birthplace of ancient Gods Apollo and Artemis, and a UNESCO landmark of world importance.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 35,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Mykonos’ market and outside dining area overlooking the harbor:

MikMarket.jpg

With a rental car on Santorini you might want to drive all the way out to Red Beach (a bit of a walk from the free parking lot). Mykonos is a terrific beach port and we always recommend Paradise Beach although some find it a bit too crowded. You can get to Paradise by using the local bus that leaves from the bus station near the Windmills (there is another bus station on the side of town closer to the port..but the right bus does not use that bus station). If you go to Paradise and do not like the place you can grab a water taxi right from that beach and go to Super Paradise which is less commercial.

As to Corfu you will get some different opinions. You can walk or take a shuttle (or taxi) into Corfu Town whiich is OK, but its just another city. We prefer to rent a car (there are some local rental car companies right at the port terminal building) and drive around different parts of the island. Take your swim suits because there are beaches scattered around the island, but we do just enjoy looking at the countryside and stopping for an ocassional drink or snack.

Hank

Ok..I love CC, such great information.....plans so far are:

Olympia - I hired a private tour guide to take us where ever we want. It's $250 for up to 4 people. We can do the arch. sites, museums, beach and lunch so I'm happy with this decision.

It seems for the rest of the ports this might be a good plan:

Mykonos - Walk around the port town then Take the bus to Paradise beach and maybe super paradise????

Corfu - A rental car, venturing out to see the island and stopping to swim and eat. ANY idea about who to rent a car from and how much for a day?

Santorini - Not a clear plan here.....see Oai - find a way to get to that? ANY more suggestions for Santorini?

Ok..I love CC, such great information.....plans so far are:

Olympia - I hired a private tour guide to take us where ever we want. It's $250 for up to 4 people. We can do the arch. sites, museums, beach and lunch so I'm happy with this decision.

It seems for the rest of the ports this might be a good plan:

Mykonos - Walk around the port town then Take the bus to Paradise beach and maybe super paradise????

Corfu - A rental car, venturing out to see the island and stopping to swim and eat. ANY idea about who to rent a car from and how much for a day?

Santorini - Not a clear plan here.....see Oai - find a way to get to that? ANY more suggestions for Santorini?

There a couple of lively threads here on Santorini. You can get from Fira to Oia by walking ( about 6 miles each way) taxi for 20 euros each way, for up to 4 people, or bus. Don't remember the exact fare for the bus, but think it was a couple of Euros/pp. We took the bus out and taxi back. I think we would taxi both ways next time. Bus was very crowded. Taxi was very easy.

You definitely want to see, explore, and perhaps have lunch in Oia.

There a couple of lively threads here on Santorini. You can get from Fira to Oia by walking ( about 6 miles each way) taxi for 20 euros each way, for up to 4 people, or bus. Don't remember the exact fare for the bus, but think it was a couple of Euros/pp. We took the bus out and taxi back. I think we would taxi both ways next time. Bus was very crowded. Taxi was very easy.

You definitely want to see, explore, and perhaps have lunch in Oia.

Found out there are no other ships in port at any of our port stops....is that good luck or just the slow economy? Either way it's good for us.

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART SatJun25Venice, Italy 5:00pmSunJun26At SeaMonJun27Corfu, Greece 8:00am3:00pmTueJun28Santorini, Greece 1:00pm10:00pmWedJun29Mykonos, Greece 8:00am6:00pmThuJun30Olympia (Katakolon), Greece 9:00am6:00pmFriJul1At SeaSatJul2Venice, Italy 8:00am

Here are the times: What do you think? Time wise? I guess I am looking at DINNER in Santorini - So out to Oia for supper then back, WHERE? What to do at that time of night? Anything?

Corfu, maybe not enough time after all for a rental, maybe just explore around the port area, shop, lunch?

Mykonos and Olympia plans seem to fit.

You guys are awesome!!!!

Found out there are no other ships in port at any of our port stops....is that good luck or just the slow economy? Either way it's good for us. I am not sure where you got the info there were no other ships in port with you. If you used the standard on line sites, they are not 100% accurate, although they were on our last trip, stating there were only two with us at Santorini. That was the only port we were worried about.

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART SatJun25Venice, Italy 5:00pmSunJun26At SeaMonJun27Corfu, Greece 8:00am3:00pmTueJun28Santorini, Greece 1:00pm10:00pmWedJun29Mykonos, Greece 8:00am6:00pmThuJun30Olympia (Katakolon), Greece 9:00am6:00pmFriJul1At SeaSatJul2Venice, Italy 8:00am

Here are the times: What do you think? Time wise? I guess I am looking at DINNER in Santorini - So out to Oia for supper then back, WHERE? What to do at that time of night? Anything?

Corfu, maybe not enough time after all for a rental, maybe just explore around the port area, shop, lunch?

Mykonos and Olympia plans seem to fit.

You guys are awesome!!!!

Your times, with the exception on Santorini, were similar to ours. You need to be where you can see the sunset in Santorini. The color changes on the caldera are impressive.

There are many small resturants in Oia over looking the caldera. Others may have recommendations.

Your times, with the exception on Santorini, were similar to ours. You need to be where you can see the sunset in Santorini. The color changes on the caldera are impressive.

There are many small resturants in Oia over looking the caldera. Others may have recommendations.

Someone on CC gave me a site and I went to it to see what other ships were in while we were in port......I'll try to find it again! OK, I guess Oia dinner to watch the sun set????

Restaurant suggestions?

If you walk along the edge of the caldera, on the southern most "street", which is a walkway, you will see many resturants, with their menus on display. We just picked one. Superb view.

Sorry, don't remember the name.

You mean in Oia, correct? Sounds great, it will be nice to have a port where we aren't rushed!!!

Archived