Fresh food on Celebrity?

travelberlin

Dear CC members,

yesterday I was talking to a friend, who told me that the only cruise line that actually cooks the food from raw ingredients is Princess. Being a Celebrity fun, I was wondering if in the Celebrity ships the food is fresh cooked or it is just heated or defrosted...:confused:

We were in Aqua Class on Solstice for the 3/6/11 voyage so we ate in Blu and everything tasted fresh and much better than what we had on Princess last year. We didn't eat in MDR so I can't comment about the food there.

We did not like the food on Princess at all!!! We found it very salty and very weird combinations of ingredients, had soup 2 different nights and it was the same broth with different things in it. I know food is subjective as others really like their food. It was just not that appealing to us, we enjoyed the food on our Royal cruise so much. I have heard so many great things about Celebrity that I am sure we wont be disappointed. I think a good chef can make anything taste great.

Every cruise line uses a mix of fresh and frozen food products, including Princess. It's impossible for any line to have totally fresh products, especially meats and seafood, due to spoilage. Not even the luxury lines use totally fresh foods.

I can speak to from-scratch but not to fresh vs frozen. My son has food allergies and the chef would walk him and us through the buffet telling us what was safe and what was not. He said he could only vouch for what was made onboard and would tell us what was made elsewhere and brought aboard. At breakfast that was very very little, just a few items in the Asian station. Lunch for him was the grill. Dinner was the MDR and they'd make his dinner in the special needs kitchen. Unlike RCCL that often 'cooked for him' by leaving off a pre made unsafe sauce/coating/ crust, Celebrity made the component in a way that was safe for him.

They certainly get much of the produce fresh, just watch them at the dock loading the pallets of food onto the ship. Celebrity is the only line we sail that alway's seems to have fresh berries in Spa Cafe. I have been on the kitchen tour on several ships and it sure seeme that they make most of the food from scratch.

Princess food is so salty that they might use more preservatives or canned sauces than any other line.

It's salty because the salt water of the ocean mixes with the air and gets on the food.

Because we breathe the salt air it gets into our bodied causing weight gain.

So it is not our fault we gain weight on a cruise. It is from the salt water.

Dear CC members,

yesterday I was talking to a friend, who told me that the only cruise line that actually cooks the food from raw ingredients is Princess. Being a Celebrity fun, I was wondering if in the Celebrity ships the food is fresh cooked or it is just heated or defrosted...:confused:

Normally the food gets better the more expensive the cruiseline is. An example: the food on Celebrity should be better than food on say RCC,Carnival,Princess. We do Cunard & folks I've met who've done both Cunard & Celebrity say the quality is about equal. The food in the Cunard Grills is excellent,as is the food in Celebrity's alternative rest. We're looking at Celebrity as Cunard seems to be scaling back it's Caribbean schedule.

Archived