Disappointed & very Unhappy with Celebrity Business Practice

samel00

I booked on the Century 4/2/11 cruise after final payment date.

Watched the prices daily and just found a good price drop on only one category - C2.

I contacted my TA and was able to upgrade from a Cat 6 OV to a C2 for no extra $$. (The cost was actually $100 less than what I paid for the Cat 6).

So, yes, you can upgrade after final payment, but perhaps not if you booked as part of a group or had some other sort of special rate when booking. I can't comment on special circumstances.

My initial booking was as part of a group my TA had and a I did loose the OBC I had initially. TA did provide a lesser amt of OBC with which I was satisfied. It was enough to make it worthwhile for DH and me to make the switch.

I put this question in an other thread but it's probably better in this...

I was told by X when I booked my cruise that IF the prices where getting lower I could get the lower price. I had to pay a smaller penalty and didn't have to cancel and rebook. I could also get a upgrade and pay the difference (no penalty).

All of this before final payment day.

I'm now very confused about this, as it seems that everybody gets different answers...

Is this true?? Or don't they tell you everything?? For example: that all lowered prices is only for new bookings and because of that I can't take advantage of the better price? I suppose that if I cancel and rebook I will lose my deposit...

Let me just throw this in. Since a good number of us that are flexible with our travel dates will now wait to purchase our cruise fare until several weeks to a month out of the sailing date, look for the roll call boards on cruise critic to take a hit with active participants for a particular cruise. We had about 15 active folks on our April 2 sailing for the last 6 or 7 months, and suddenly within the last 4 weeks, a month before sailing, we have 20 new members. Not saying that it's bad it just changes the dynamics of the boards.

I was told by X when I booked my cruise that IF the prices where getting lower I could get the lower price. I had to pay a smaller penalty and didn't have to cancel and rebook. I could also get a upgrade and pay the difference (no penalty).

I'm now very confused about this, as it seems that everybody gets different answers...

Is this true?? Or don't they tell you everything?? For example: that all lowered prices is only for new bookings and because of that I can't take advantage of the better price? I suppose that if I cancel and rebook I will lose my deposit...

If the price goes down before final payment there is now a penalty to cancel but you do not have to cancel and rebook? I think there might be a new cancellation policy in the US, at least there is with Azamara.

I see you are from Sweden. When people post pricing policies, it helps to look and see where they are from. I think the 'best price guarantee' policy may only apply to North American bookings, for example.

I am not sure what policies would apply to you as it depends on who does your initial booking.

For our cruise in April we have been able to upgrade twice after final payment and the Celebrity Reps were great. I think they do what they can if you're nice, Maybe you should be nice, you kind of sound like a winer.:eek:

Much preferred the old price protection policy, especially since we benefited from it on many occasions and have been "burned" by the new one on two cruises since the policy changed. I get all the anger and frustration expressed in this and similar threads, as well as the feeling that X is turning its back on loyal pax who book often and book early. I'm all too happy to jump on the it's-not-fair bandwagon but the fact is, we're demanding more from cruise line than we do from just about any other entity with whom we do business.

Take the airlines, for example. They change fares on what seems like an hourly basis yet we don't demand protection should the airfare we paid drop between booking and actually flying. Unlike Celebrity, which protects a reservation until +/- 70 days prior to sailing (even if booked a year or more out), airlines will protect your fare for a mere 24 hours between booking and actually paying, and some have even started charging to hold a reservation at the fare quoted for that 24 hour time period. Air pax never think we're entitled to an upgrade if we book coach and business class drops lower than the fare we paid (yes, that does happen); and, airlines run last minute "sales" all the time, but none of us demands price protection when two weeks prior to a flight, the ticket we bought from NY to St. Louis for $400 is selling for $225. Beyond that, the airlines' "change" fees pretty much negate any savings should we try to cancel/rebook to get a lower fare. In short, when flying we have no entitlement mindset that booking early guarantees us the lowest fare, much less the ability to upgrade.

The fact, is, we've all become spoiled by what has been until recently an extremely liberal price protection policy offered by cruise lines. In the past, it was advantageous to book early to get the sailing/accommodations we wanted at a price that was guaranteed to be the lowest. Now the advantages to booking early are still there (with what still remains a fairly liberal price protection policy), but once final payment is made, those advantages may (or may not!) come with a price, literally.

For our cruise in April we have been able to upgrade twice after final payment and the Celebrity Reps were great. I think they do what they can if you're nice, Maybe you should be nice, you kind of sound like a winer.:eek:

Are you saying the OP is a whiner? A winner? Or just likes to drink wine? ;)

I am getting ready to book the cruise for the end of April and just wondered if you (Sail Girl) dealt with Celebrity directly or a certain TA to both book the cruise and then get the upgrade? Want to deal with someone who is going to work with us the best - this is our first cruise and we'd like to become one of the "regulars" as most of you are - but want to have a good experience. We'd love to have a Veranda...but it's so much more than the OV. Thx.

For most cruises AQ is higher than C2, C3 and sometimes C1. It used to be higher than all 3 Concierge classes but not that lately.

on our last cruise in Jan , AQ boarded right after suites & was considered the first level under suites..

First Time Cruiser here... A couple of questions, for you seasoned cruisers. 1) Is it better to book through Celebrity or an independent TA for "after booking" service? 2) If you book an OV for $349 while the Verandas are $499, but then they go to, say, $399, can you pay the new difference ($50) and upgrade to a Veranda at a later date? 3) Are there any "bad" Veranda rooms (obstructed), and how would you research that? Thanks so much!!

2) If you book an OV for $349 while the Verandas are $499, but then they go to, say, $399, can you pay the new difference ($50) and upgrade to a Veranda at a later date?

After you've booked, and you find an attractive price on a cabin in a higher category, you can pay the difference and upgrade *if* the rate you see is a 'standard' rate. If, however, you're looking at a 'special rate' (such as a Tuesday special, or some other promotion), these are usually considered "for new bookings only" and you'd likely not be able to upgrade even by paying the difference.

Is it always clear what's a standard rate and what's a special? Is X making a wise business decision with this practice? This is the controversial issue that's being discussed in this thread and in others.

In the future all my Celebrity bookings with the exception of a trans Atlantic (prices are almost at rock bottom to start ) will be after final payment .Here is the reason : airline prices since last year have gone up 6-7 times in cost . On recent Celebrity Millennium sailings thru the Panama Canal & West cost celebrity had literally dozens of Concierge Cabins & suites & Cat 2As vacant all because of jacked up air fares .

Most people are on some sort of budget & when they add air to their cost of a vacation they simply can not afford to go on a long distance from home cruise.

We have a daughter who is well off & earns in a medium 6 figure bracket thru their own business ;however, if they travel they need to add 6 airfares to the total bill. Thus ,they spend the monies going with their motor home ,boat & other toys.

It is the high airfares that are hurting cruise line business. Now if they injure their most loyal customers watch out as the top & bottom lines shrink

Not true I paid a bit more to get concierge & it was a Tuesday special...There is absolutely no consistency with their own pricing policies .some people get lucky & some never have any luck

This is a big problem. It doesn't help that the website policies can often be interpreted in different ways.

It is the high airfares that are hurting cruise line business. Now if they injure their most loyal customers watch out as the top & bottom lines shrink

Airfares are definitely making me carefully consider my travel plans. If the cruiselines are yanking my chain with pricing/upgrade wackiness it is even more irritating because I have to pay big bucks just to get to their ship in the first place.

Not true I paid a bit more to get concierge & it was a Tuesday special .Perhaps Celebrity favors certain people ,lol .There is absolutely no consistency with their own pricing policies .some people get lucky & some never have any luck

Glad to hear it. That's why I said, "likely not be able to upgrade" -- knowing that Celebrity is consistently inconsistent when it comes to customer service. ;)

The way I look at it is the same as buying a giant widescreen TV. If I pay $3000 for a flat screen and then 6-8 months later see it in an advertisement or on a shopping channel for significantly less, well that's on me. I bought it when I wanted to, paid the price I did when I bought it, and ran the risk that it would later be marked down. Same for a cruise. If I book a cruise a year in advance and then 2 months before sailing the price is slashed then that's my tough luck. I can't get that new price just like I can't get the sale price on that TV when it when on sale 6 months after I bought it. The same goes in any business practice, so why should it be different in the cruise industry? You bought that cruise and were happy with the price at that time, got the cabin you wanted and the dining time you wanted. If it is marked down in a 'fire sale' to get rid of the rest of the cabins (or to go back to the previous analogy, those remaining TV's in inventory) I don't get to take advantage of that Tuesday sale by Celebrity Cruises. It may seem unfair, but that's the way it is. Like it or not.

Sorry but this is not even close to being the same kind of a thing. I would bet that if you bought a TV 6 or 8 months ago BUT DIDNT GET THAT TV DELIVERED YET, and never even got it in your home to use, you would be on the phone in a heart beat telling them you want it at the lower price.

You can defend Celebrity all you want with the "you knew what the deal was when you signed attitude" but the bottom line is, if your business practice is causing your customers problems, it is probably flawed.

I don't know why so many people complain....we KNOW the rules and "new bookings only" means......new bookings only. Guests who book early have a better choice of cabin. If price is more important than location, wait until the last minute and take your chances. When we book a cruise I check every week for price drops but, once that final payment date arrives, I never look at them again because I know what the rules are and am willing to abide by them.
We totally agree. Everyone sets their own priorities, and you know the rules going in so why complain after the fact.:confused:

Early booking cruisers looking for later discounts or upgrades have to ask themselves.......Would you be willing to lose your pre-selected premium cabin location and select a cabin from the left over inventory that is available at the time of the price drop or "special pricing"? Would you be willing to lose your selected cabin and be put into a Guarantee cabin situation? Some would, many would not. You can't have early bird cabin selection and last minute pricing both. And if air travel is involved the early bird bookers undoubtedly got far better airfare than the latecomers will. It's all a give and take.

Early booking cruisers looking for later discounts or upgrades have to ask themselves.......Would you be willing to lose your pre-selected premium cabin location and select a cabin from the left over inventory that is available at the time of the price drop or "special pricing"? Would you be willing to lose your selected cabin and be put into a Guarantee cabin situation? Some would, many would not. You can't have early bird cabin selection and last minute pricing both. And if air travel is involved the early bird bookers undoubtedly got far better airfare than the latecomers will. It's all a give and take.

Got to tell you I saw 40% price drops on Cats 2A , concierge C2 & C3 s .When that happens people get upset. We have done 50 + cruises & most with Celebrity & Royal. what has happened imo is their business policies are makeing people angry .That imo is not the way to stay in business.

The other fact are the airfare increases . I personally believe that many ships will not fill because of the airfare price increases

Actually I can, and I did. The cruise lines are selling a PRODUCT, not a 'relationship'. Just like if I buy a hotel room in Miami at the Intercontinental and then six months later see it on a motels.com site for cheaper. Or an airline ticket. Or any type of Service or product. That's the risk YOU take. We all take. Like it or not. The cruise lines may give the opportunity to 'upgrade' to a higher category cabin based on the price difference. We are lucky they allow that. But bottom line it is a product that they are selling.
Well said..

Because of all of their ifs, ands, and buts, Celebrity is going to experience a shift in bookings. Loyal cruisers are going to wait until AFTER final payment to book their vacations, so that they can take advantage of the price drops AND the OBCs, AND the Passages coupons AND (for some) the AMEX amenities.

Bellybutton 530.. If you're still out there or anyone who knows... what are the AMEX amenities????

We jsut got a Platinum AMex card and are finding that it has lots of benefits... the most important being fastracked to the front of the security line in Toronto and all the lounges you can use. Are there AMEX benefits on a ship?

This IS very confusing... I have booked directly through X but it seems that they have different rules/offers/policy depending which country you came from. Also that you really can't trust what the say when you book.

I surley can live with the fact that it's a penalty if you wan't to get a lower price or that I can't take advantage of that after final payment.

But it would be nice if the rules are the same for all...:cool:

Bellybutton 530.. If you're still out there or anyone who knows... what are the AMEX amenities????

We jsut got a Platinum AMex card and are finding that it has lots of benefits... the most important being fastracked to the front of the security line in Toronto and all the lounges you can use. Are there AMEX benefits on a ship?

Are you sure about being fast-tracked through airport security? We've had the AmX Platinum card for years and yes, re airport lounges but it does nothing for security lines herein the US or Europe - unless, of course, we're holding first class tickets. Re Celebrity cruise privileges, Am X Platinum affords a one-category cabin upgrade (inside to inside, outside to outside only), free specialty dinners, welcome bottle of champagne, double AmX points provided you book directly through AmX Platinum travel services. All privileges are extended to up to three cabin reservations for the same sailing made with the card. The final decision re privileges is at the discretion of the cruise line, and privileges come with certain caveats, limitations and exclusions and are not available for all sail dates, all cabins, group, senior and other special rates, or certain sales/specials. That's it in a nutshell but you're best off checking AmX's website for anything I may have omitted.

Earlier in this thread, someone asked if anyone would be willing to pay a $150 fee in exchange for being able to take advantage of all price drops. A few years ago we took a family reunion cruise on Carnival Legend and essentially did that.

My husband and I booked a suite on that ship which was adjacent to the suite our daughter's family booked. The way this program worked was that our deposit would not be refundable if we cancelled our cruise, but could be credited to a future cruise less a $150 fee. In exchange, if we subsequently found a lower cruise rate for our category, including websites from travel agents, up to 2 days before our cruise, Carnival would adjust our price accordingly. In our case we found a substantially lower price from an online travel agent two months after we booked that cruise, and Carnival adjusted the cruise fares for all of us. All we had to do was submit that information to them in an online form on their website since we booked that cruise directly with Carnival. We were very lucky because shortly after we got that lower fare, our category was completely sold out and comparable suites never became available again for that particular cruise.

Since we didn't cancel the cruise we never had to pay that fee, but were willing to risk the possibility in exchange for the benefits of this program.

Archived