Picture Question

Poohbeck

I know there are photographers on the ship taking pictures you can purchase, but can you get them digitally? Or, can you only purchase the actual photo?

This is our first cruise and I was curious how this works. I want a bunch of family pictures, but, don't want to break the bank purchasing them. Thanks so much!

You can only buy prints. To get any other size than what they printed, you have to buy the first one, then pay for the extras. We scanned our photos so they could be put in our shutterfly books.

They put RFID tags on the back of the photos so you don't walk away with them. It is practically impossible to remove them without damaging the front. I set off the alarm at work trying to carry in my 8x10 to show co-workers. (We have scanners to keep keys from walking off property.)

You can only purchase the actual picture. However, there is a release forn that will allow you to make copies at any photo lab.

http://www.seauonboard.com/cruise101_files/Photo%20Release.pdf

Good to know. Thanks.

Unfortunately, if you plan on purchasing a bunch of pics, you will BREAK THE BANK..

That's what I figured. I have 27 more days to save $$. Any idea on how much a picture is?

You can only buy prints. To get any other size than what they printed, you have to buy the first one, then pay for the extras. We scanned our photos so they could be put in our shutterfly books.

They put RFID tags on the back of the photos so you don't walk away with them. It is practically impossible to remove them without damaging the front. I set off the alarm at work trying to carry in my 8x10 to show co-workers. (We have scanners to keep keys from walking off property.)

I guess I'll just be buying one and then getting the copyright so I can get them reproduced here at home. I

The 8x10 pics are about 22.00, the 5x7 are about 15. We bought a canvas 16x20 last year for 60.00 and had it framed.

Beautiful pics, even the candid shots. We have spent a lot of money on pictures on the cruise. They are worth it, especially if you have your family all cleaned up and looking really nice in formal wear.

We usually buy the formal night dining room pictures too, since we travel as a group with my in-laws.

We buy pics on every cruise.

There is no reason you can not get your family together and politely ask a fellow travelor to take your picture with your own camera. With a digital camera you immediately know how the pictures come out. On our cruise sometimes I would rearrange people after I took the picture the way the group wanted me to take it. I would do some pictures really getting close to their faces, some pictures with a lot of scenery included. It can be a lot of fun. Then you can save your cash for the occasional picture that the ship took that turned out amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I guess it depends on the ship. I have sitting next to me a digital picture taken of my husband and myself on the Splendor last year. We had to purchase the 8x10, pay $10.00 more for the digital image and the copyright letter.

However, we were just on Ecstasy and were not able to purchase a digital picture. They said CCL does not allow it. Um, I have purchased the digital on both Splendor and Freedom.

So, maybe it is just the bigger ships

We had only one picture forced on us to be taken. Some goofy pirate in the MDR held a sword to my throat. Never looked for the picture. But had a line item on my bill for 1056.00 and then a credit back for that amount. I should've found that picture. :pMust have been one helluva picture.:eek:

All my pictures that I paid for on cruises are in drawers somewhere so have been a bit of a waste of money for me. I haven't seen anywhere you can buy digital copied specifically (and I was on the Splendor last year) though I wish they would offer that....they could make more money and save on printing costs.

I would say that it's worth having a really nice photo taken at least once on your cruise - especially if you dress up for formal night.

In September 2010, it was offered. There was a flyer by the register that offered digital prints for $10.00 more. $9.99 to be exact. You had to order it and then pick it up the next day.

With all this discussion I decided to ask John Heald directly. This is his response from Facebook:

John Heald - Re the digital photo question on Cruise Critic.....Right now we are not offering any digital images, if asked by the guest in person we will provide it at an additional cost of $9.99 per image . cheers

So there's the official answer. I guess they stopped advertising it and now it's available by request. I wish I had know this last week. I would have been more forceful with the photo people on Ecstasy.

We never buy those pics, in fact if they get us on embarkation that's usually the only time we even allow your picture taken all week, just because we know we aren't going to buy them and it's a waste of paper.

Some people love those staged pics I guess. We come home with 1000 pictures from the cruise, many of us together. Can't imagine maying 25 bucks for another in front of face scenery.

I thought it was funny last year after a full day on HMC, one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet, we saw a girl getting a formal picture done that evening in the lobby.....with a fake beach as a background.....ironic.

Want lots of pictures, bring your own camera. Ship is out to make money its a huge profit center and they do all they can to make sure the continue to make money :D

FWIW on formal night every ship I've been on won't let you use their backdrops. If you want nice family pictures get the family out in the Atrium before the rush and get some good pictures at the foot of the stairs.

If you got a DSLR and a nice bounce flash you'll get pictures that rival anything the ship can do, minus the background.

I know there are photographers on the ship taking pictures you can purchase, but can you get them digitally? Or, can you only purchase the actual photo?

This is our first cruise and I was curious how this works. I want a bunch of family pictures, but, don't want to break the bank purchasing them. Thanks so much!

Archived