Dining attire on non dressy nights

1maggie1

What cruise line? They all seem to have different rules. Some lines do not allow shorts in the main dining room at night, some like NCL do. Some lines don't allow jeans and some don't allow t-shirts unless they are golf or polo type shirts.

Can men wear shorts and a t shirt or polo shirt. Do they need to wear pants? Are jeans acceptable. My husband and son are asking me what to pack. For the girls it is easy but don't know what to tell the boys.

It depends on the cruise line. None that I know of allow shorts. However, I believe Carnival allows dress shorts. None that I know of allow t-shirts, however, many do make it into the restaurant wearing t-shirts. Some allow Jeans, others don't. However, they all allow Genes.

Our guys carry 2 pairs of khakis, (the younger guys carry khaki cargos) and polo shirts. They rotate between the khakis and polos and there are 2 formal nights, so the suit pants will get thrown into the rotation for dinner. As soon as dinner is over, they change into the shorts and t's. Depends on the cruise line as to the acceptable attire for dining room, but the khakis don't take up anymore luggage space than the jeans (and they don't feel "dressed up" in the khaki cargo pants. That seems to satisfy the requirements for all the cruiselines.

LOL good question. I just packed for a 14 night TA on RCCL and really, its too much clothing. So I also want to scale back. BUT being a busy Mom, all I seem to have is formal clothing and jeans/tee shirts! So I am also trying to find a nice Balance for the dining room! (and not pay huge fee's for pressing!)

T

As a rule I'd say having full length pants jean/dockers is safer but depending on cruise and locale you can get by with shorts, YMMV. For the younger ones nice shorts probably work, but again jeans are safer.

Can men wear shorts and a t shirt or polo shirt. Do they need to wear pants? Are jeans acceptable. My husband and son are asking me what to pack. For the girls it is easy but don't know what to tell the boys.

Thanks for all the answers. I will have them take khakis and polo shirts. I'm sure they will change right after dinner so two pairs will be fine. We are sailing on the Carnival Pride.

Carnival will allow your kids to wear kid clothes in the MDR, but the staff may be a bit more strict on adults. I've even worn jeans (not holey) to non-dressy dinner. Usually, though, I dress up a little and often even wear a tie! I guess if my wife looks good (and I think she does), I should look good too.:)

Have a great trip. First drink's on me!:D

Archived