What's up with Carnival's schedule?

MizLizzie

For several weeks now, my (big) family group has been trying to book a Mediterranean cruise for late spring 2012, but Carnival is showing nothing. Finally I called them today, and they said the Magic was there now, but returning to Galveston and may not go back. The rep I spoke with said it was possible they may not operate in the Med for 2012. ???

Right now the upscale lines all have their Med schedules up way into summer 2012, and the NCL Epic is booking. But we really wanted to go Carnival, or maybe RCL as 2nd choice. But RCL, too, is not showing any Med cruises for 20102. (I'll cross post there, I guess.)

Does anyone know of a reason why Carnival might leave this market? Is it normal for the schedule to not be up at this point? Because of the size of our group, and varying and complex family needs, we must book soon. Are we destined to be stuck on the Epic?

Thanks for any insight.

I thought Carnival only did a couple of initial cruises in the Med for new ships then the ships permanently reposition to the US with one transatlantic. I don't think any return to the Med once they repo to the US.

Carnival has not had a ship home ported in Europe for quite a while... not since 2007.

The Dream did a season there in 2009 and this year the Magic, which will sail in about 40 days, will do the same before coming to her homeport in Galveston.

:)

I thought Carnival only did a couple of initial cruises in the Med for new ships then the ships permanently reposition to the US with one transatlantic. I don't think any return to the Med once they repo to the US.

The Liberty called Southampton home port for quite a while...

OK, so sounds like I am mixed up. The Magic isn't sailing yet. Do they have a ship there now that is coming home to Galveston? That was what I understood her to say.

Nope... the Magic's inaugural voyage will be May 10, 2011. She's then do a number of voyages around the Med and top it off with at trans Atlantic bringing her home to Galveston in early November.

The Carnival Breeze is suposed to come out the spring of 2012. Her itineraries and home port are scheduled to be annouced in April. April 28th rings a bell so I guess we just have to wait a few more weeks. I assume she will do at least a few sailings in Europe before coming to the US, just like the Magic. Magic's inaugural is May 1 from Venice to Barcelona and then she will be using Barcelona as her home port until her transatlantic to Galveston.

Well, dang. Thanks for the info. Posting at RCL, but it looks like we will be stuck with NCL . . .

Thanks for your help.

It's not that their pulling out of that market, they really have never been in it. I'm with you. We have done one with NCL and would have booked CCL if they had been in the Med. I started a thread on this a while back. Seems that they are happy with their current situation and staying pat. So for the mean time we are doing the same thing, NCL or RCL if we must.

It's not that their pulling out of that market, they really have never been in it. I'm with you. We have done one with NCL and would have booked CCL if they had been in the Med. I started a thread on this a while back. Seems that they are happy with their current situation and staying pat. So for the mean time we are doing the same thing, NCL or RCL if we must.

The Liberty spent about half her time in Europe and the rest sailing from Miami, not uncommon for many cruise lines.

When the economy went south Carnival elected to 'bring the fleet home' so to speak, in and effort to place more ships closer to where folks could get to them without the expense of flying.

MizLizzie - we're in the same boat (no pun intended) trying to plan for a 2012 big family cruise in the Med. NCL or RCL will be alternatives but have it on good authority that Breeze will be ready to go in April next year and will spend a few months in Europe then reposition to the US (just like Magic is doing this year). Not sure what's causing the delay but be patient..!!! Will be worth the wait!!

Magic's inaugural voyage is May 1, 2011 out of Venice. I know this because we will be on this first trip. I can't wait!! I've never been the first to be on a new ship!

That should be an awesome experience. Congrats! Enjoy!

We will see her in Galveston

For several weeks now, my (big) family group has been trying to book a Mediterranean cruise for late spring 2012, but Carnival is showing nothing. Finally I called them today, and they said the Magic was there now, but returning to Galveston and may not go back. The rep I spoke with said it was possible they may not operate in the Med for 2012. ???

Right now the upscale lines all have their Med schedules up way into summer 2012, and the NCL Epic is booking. But we really wanted to go Carnival, or maybe RCL as 2nd choice. But RCL, too, is not showing any Med cruises for 20102. (I'll cross post there, I guess.)

Does anyone know of a reason why Carnival might leave this market? Is it normal for the schedule to not be up at this point? Because of the size of our group, and varying and complex family needs, we must book soon. Are we destined to be stuck on the Epic?

Thanks for any insight.

Can I ask what you may have against the Epic? I was on the Epic in November and loved the ship... One of the best cruises I have taken... I am going on the Valor in a couple of weeks and I really wish I was gonna be stuck on the Epic... Would love to travel her again...

Archived