NCL Epic or Carnival Dream Please Help!

Rmunson72906

My husband and I, and our friends are planning a 7 night eastern caribbean cruise together for November. we are all in our mid-late 20's. My husband and I have been on 2 previous cruises, noone else has been on a cruise before. The first time we went on the carnival sensation and last year we went on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. I love Royal, especially Fos fiercely, but my husband thinks that we should try other cruise ships and lines, here lies our dilema.

We can't decide between NCL epic and Carnival Dream, and this is why i need your help. We love the "mega" ships, and always having something to do or go, which both of these are.

Im nervous about ncl because there staterooms seem ridiculously small (which how much time do you spend in there anyway) but it stil matters to me for some reason but isnt a deal breaker, and NCl seems to have a small pool for such a large ship, we like to swim and hang out in the hot tubs without 25 people being on top of you. also we dislike the fact that the only deck you can go outside and walk on are the pool decks and up. On freedom we could walk on the promenade outside deck 5, wich was nice. However we love that epic has the blue man group, bowling and the svedka ice bar.

As for Carnival Dream, well Carnival has kinda left a lackluster taste in my mouth. We had a blast on the sensation, but i wonder if it was more to do with the group we were with than the cruise line. for having the motto of being the "fun ships" sensation was positivly dull, it seemed everything closed at 9pm even the pools and hot tubs and the entertainment was hit and miss. The appeal for the dream is that is a large new ship, not a small refurb like sensation, and it has a waterpark, and the wrap around lanai to walk with the hot tubs on it.

So which would be the better option for our group? We aren't really picky, we just want to have fun. Dance till 3am, see a great show, have fun on the pool deck, relax with a fruity drink at the pool or in a hot tub, and have a few good meals. (were not foodies, so were not expecting gourmet fare, just very good.)

Sorry if this was lengthy, also any pics or videos you have of these ships would be welcome.

I was torn between the two as well. I have never cruised anything than RCCL so I have done tons and tons of research and read almost every post under the sun.

We ended up choosing EPIC due to that variety of things to do. We have over 20 people cruising with us in cabins ranging from Suites to insides and ages 9-65.

Yes the cabins seem tiny but we only use to sleep, change and shower!

I found this ultra long picture show of the Epic helpful:

http://public.fotki.com/HeinBloed/norwegian-epic/

Although there are mixed reviews about EPIC I am taking the chance and going for the overall experience. My friends sailed in January and are overly picky and had a great time.

I am hoping to love it!

thanks for your reply. eventhough epic has more to do, the small rooms bother me, just cause people will be sharing 3-4 to a room. It doesnt really matter to my husband and I, but the majority of our friends have never cruised beore so i dont want them to be uncomfortable. Also the fact that NCL is raising their prices fleetwide 10% is not winning me over. Right now i am leaning towards the dream. I hope you have a great time on epic.

The Epic balcony rooms will be difficult with 3 or 4 adults. It's fine for 2 adults and 1 or 2 kids. I'm not sure any not-suite room on any line will be good for 3-4 adults though. We loved the balcony room with 4 of us in it (2 adults, a 10 and 16). The beds were the most comfortable ever, there was a ton of storage, and the split bathroom design provided options that traditional layouts could not. The couch is not a fold-out and is firm. Perfect for a teen or kid to sleep on, but not an adult if they're over 120lbs or 5'6 or so. The pull-down bed would actually be more comfortable for an adult, in my opinion.

We really enjoyed the Epic and have zero information on the Dream. I can't really help in direct comparison. I've always avoided Carnival ships because of their frat party reputation and garish decor. The Epic has so much to do it's not even funny. People spending 14 days on her have said they still have not done everything. Before you abandon Epic, really compare the accommodations and how well they support your group's needs. The balcony stateroom isn't any smaller than what we sailed on other ships.

Here are a bunch of pictures from our trip

http://public.fotki.com/ritchiefamily/san_diego_family/2010-pictures/epic-cruise-public-/

We have been on both ships. Spa balcony on both. The Dreams balcony was very small! The balcony on Epic was great I had a lounge chair,2 chairs, and a small side table!!! I agree with others the rooms on Epic are not made for more than 2 adults!!! U will not like the bathroom setup with 4 people!!!! No matter how well u know them!!!! The Dream was just ok. The ports sucked we did the western caribbean. We had a blast on the Epic!!! We did the eastern caribbean. It all depends on what u like!!! All I can say is we just booked the Epic again for Feb.2012!!! I would go for Epic but 2 cabins if u can!! Where ever u go have a great time and remember u are on vaca and not working!!! Good luck!!!

reading your posts we wil definately not be putting 4 people in a non-suite room on the epic. we have done this on our past 2 cruises, and it worked out well with the suite on sensation and a js on fos. so were thinking 2-3 people, 3 if we absolutely have too. also why is the e. caribe so much more than the w. caribe on epic?

We have been on the Dream 3 times. We booked 3 sailings right off the bat - just based on the HYPE (we were drinking the Carnival Kool-aid at that point in time).

After just getting off the Epic earlier this month - I must say we were very impressed. The Dream is just a larger Carnival ship with all the same stuff (with more people crammed onboard). The Epic was above and beyond in terms of venues, entertainment options, and dining options.

I don't know that we would EVER sail on the Dream again - but you'll notice in our signature that we have never re-booked a ship as quickly as we did the Epic. In fact I just booked several cabins for our office cruise on that sailing as well. I feel that strongly about it!

Tom

U will not like the bathroom setup with 4 people!!!! No matter how well u know them!!!!

Sorry, but I disagree. We loved the bathroom setup with our 4 people. We were able to multi-task where we could not in a standard bathroom.

OP since you are looking a 3 in a cabin, perhaps you should look into the studio cabins for the 'odd man out', they won't carry a 200% fare and many people think those cabins (pods) are truly unique. There is also a living room perk for solo cabin dwellers although it might not be something for your people as they will be doing things with your group.

Just a suggestion :)

My husband and I, and our friends are planning a 7 night eastern caribbean cruise together for November.

What date in November are you considering?

If by chance it is over Thanksgiving, just beware that there is a spike in the number of kids compared to other weeks that month.

I'm not saying that having a lot of kids onboard is a bad thing - it is what it is!

Tom

I went on the Epic the week after Thanksgiving 2010. It wasn't horrible with kids. The Epic had so much to do. Entertainment was awesome. If you want to get away from everyone go to the adults only area and the hot tub will not be over run with 25 people. Blue Man Group is great. Second City, Howl at the Moon, Legends in Concert....I can't say enough good things about the Epic.

I went on the Epic the week after Thanksgiving 2010. It wasn't horrible with kids. ..

I am GLAD to hear that - as that's the week we picked for later this year! (I had a ~5 year old kid HIT me on the elevator on our 2/26/11 sailing, and there were not that many little ones on our sailing!)

Tom

the sailing date is for nov. 6th. my husband really wants to go on epic, especially for the blue man group. The dream looks nice, but like i said carnival left me disapointed last time....... Plus weve never been to miami. all the studios are sold out for that sailing unfortunately but it was a good suggestion. We also have a large group sailing with us, and some of them dont manage their money well :o so price is a slight concern. Really hope i can get on this ship though, we went on fos last year in may and LOVED it. looking forward to the ice bar lol

the sailing date is for nov. 6th. my husband really wants to go on epic, especially for the blue man group. The dream looks nice, but like i said carnival left me disapointed last time....... Plus weve never been to miami. all the studios are sold out for that sailing unfortunately but it was a good suggestion. We also have a large group sailing with us, and some of them dont manage their money well :o so price is a slight concern. Really hope i can get on this ship though, we went on fos last year in may and LOVED it. looking forward to the ice bar lol

Yep - I noticed a week or two ago that the studios were sold out the first two weeks on November. I saw one of them on our 2/26 sailing and thought there were very cool.

We have been on ~50 Carnival cruises - and I can honestly say that the Epic was more of a FUN SHIP than ANY of our Carnival sailings! Of course, each sailing is different... we have been on a several Carnival cruises that seemed to have a lot of night life, and just as many which did not. Bliss lounge (on the Epic with a top notch DJ) puts to shame any of the discos on Carnival -- with their guys that just play CD's...

Tom

sdmike I liked the bathroom set up! Not everyone is comfortable with it. We were in a spa deluxe with the bed by the balcony. It was great for us! Gotta cut this short my son just called his wife's water broke!!!!!:D:D:)

sdmike I liked the bathroom set up! Not everyone is comfortable with it. We were in a spa deluxe with the bed by the balcony. It was great for us! Gotta cut this short my son just called his wife's water broke!!!!!:D:D:)

Congrats GRANDparent!

Tom

I don't know that we would EVER sail on the Dream again - but you'll notice in our signature that we have never re-booked a ship as quickly as we did the Epic. In fact I just booked several cabins for our office cruise on that sailing as well. I feel that strongly about it!

Tom

Tom, are you hiring?:D

. . . We can't decide between NCL epic and Carnival Dream, and this is why i need your help. We love the "mega" ships, and always having something to do or go, which both of these are . . .

I'm basically going to just say "Ditto" to everything Tom has said earlier. I've been on Carnival Dream three times (all booked while it was "still in the womb" so to speak"). I had a really nice cruise vacation during that first 9-day voyage, and was easily able to overlook as few of the Ooops moments, due to it being a brand new ship, and it's first-ever sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Second and third voyage brought about things that were (to me) glaring.

Never, ever, again.

My husband and I, and our friends are planning a 7 night eastern caribbean cruise together for November. we are all in our mid-late 20's. My husband and I have been on 2 previous cruises, noone else has been on a cruise before. The first time we went on the carnival sensation and last year we went on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. I love Royal, especially Fos fiercely, but my husband thinks that we should try other cruise ships and lines, here lies our dilema.

We can't decide between NCL epic and Carnival Dream, and this is why i need your help. We love the "mega" ships, and always having something to do or go, which both of these are.

Im nervous about ncl because there staterooms seem ridiculously small (which how much time do you spend in there anyway) but it stil matters to me for some reason but isnt a deal breaker, and NCl seems to have a small pool for such a large ship, we like to swim and hang out in the hot tubs without 25 people being on top of you. also we dislike the fact that the only deck you can go outside and walk on are the pool decks and up. On freedom we could walk on the promenade outside deck 5, wich was nice. However we love that epic has the blue man group, bowling and the svedka ice bar.

As for Carnival Dream, well Carnival has kinda left a lackluster taste in my mouth. We had a blast on the sensation, but i wonder if it was more to do with the group we were with than the cruise line. for having the motto of being the "fun ships" sensation was positivly dull, it seemed everything closed at 9pm even the pools and hot tubs and the entertainment was hit and miss. The appeal for the dream is that is a large new ship, not a small refurb like sensation, and it has a waterpark, and the wrap around lanai to walk with the hot tubs on it.

So which would be the better option for our group? We aren't really picky, we just want to have fun. Dance till 3am, see a great show, have fun on the pool deck, relax with a fruity drink at the pool or in a hot tub, and have a few good meals. (were not foodies, so were not expecting gourmet fare, just very good.)

Sorry if this was lengthy, also any pics or videos you have of these ships would be welcome.

well i never been on ncl but if i was u i give them a try i just sailed on the dream never to sail her again very unhappy with her very small pools can not handle any kind of seas rocks really bad i never get sea sick but i did on her food was less then average rooms where nice well thats my oppoin i hope this helps

Thanks for your advice. both ships seemed to have mixed reviews.

As for the pool issue, it seems epic and dream are about even in this, with the small pools, both have water slides and hot tubs and an adults area. I've heard mixed reviews about both on food, not an issue for us, were not picky, im sure well find something to eat.

We have decided to book the dream. The only thing we are disappointed about is that epic has the ice bar and the blue man group. I hear the entertainment is good on dream but we know that we will be missing out.

Thanks for your advice. both ships seemed to have mixed reviews.

We have decided to book the dream.

Have a great time... :confused: confused though since the overwhelming reply to this thread, and even the same one you posted on the Carnival board ( ! ) was THUMBS UP for the Epic.

Alas, you'll be at sea - having people take care of you the entire week!!

Tom

After 24hrs and a c-section we have a very healthy 9lb3oz, 22in grandson!!! Thank god it wasn't me!! Now back to the post! I believe there is a big difference when it is 2 adults and 2 children in a cabin. Also they say there is a big difference when your bed is near the bathroom area. We made sure for both sailings our bed was by the balcony!

After being on both ships I still say there is alot more to see and do on the Epic! It was our first time on NCL and we loved it!!! We booked Epic for 2/12 within wks of getting off!!! Like I said before the Dream was just ok!! We had a EPIC time on the EPIC!!!!

Archived