Police dogs @ miami port

Winning

But the ship will not have a dog on it so it would be safe to run to the ship!

There could be a service dog on board. There was one on our last cruise. On the last day we were laying out by the pool and the lady with the service dog came out on deck and as the dog walked by another woman laying on a deck chair with her eyes closed the dog licked her foot. Boy was she surprised.

I have seen drug and explosive sniffing dogs around the customs areas but never had one come near me.

I traveled with some friends who do smoke pot but didn't take it with them on the cruise. They were stopped getting off the ship because the dogs indicated it. They were honest and told the cops they smoke at home but didn't have any with them. They were told that the dogs probably smelled it on their luggage. After a thorough search of their luggage they were sent on their way.

Exact same thing happened with two from our group. They were stopped getting off the ship before we even got to the luggage and taken for questioning. The officers had their luggage waiting for them and searched it very thoroughly in front of them. They were released shortly afterwards.

She was severely attacked by a dog and has a hard time with being around any dogs. She has tried many of things to overcome this, with no success. Her next step is shock therapy if that doesn't work then who knows.

There are police dogs in a lot of places all over the world, and pet dogs even more places. Somehow this person is OK with "electric shock therapy" but not with a dog and handler who are there to do a job, that makes no sense.

One time in San Diego, my sister was stopped by the Ag Inspector when the dog when smelled her lemon drops and candied ginger in her suitcase when she was debarking.

In Long Beach, I see the dogs sniff the cargo while it is in the holding area waiting to be loaded.

I've seen dogs at embarkation, debarkation, ports, and international & local flights. They are non intrusivie unless you have something they are looking for. Most times you don't even see them, but they are there. If someone has a phobia, I can't help.

ETA... these are NOT attack dogs. I don't know (and don't really care to cuz it is just to scary), but these dogs have a 'JOB'. They are there for one reason, and they are there with a handler. The only advise I can give is to make sure they have read all the info available to them, so a dog does not pick up on them.

I find it ironic that people assume that this is about smuggling weed on board.

This is from the same people who consider shoving 750ml Captain Morgan bottles in their butts and put liquor in their children's backpacks to get by CCL screeners.:rolleyes:

We just got off the Triumph in New Orleans from the Mardi Gras cruise. We were woke up on debarkation day for the dog to enter our room to search. We were asked to leave the room immediately and stand outside. I felt violated and although I understsand their reasoning for doing the searches, we gave them no reason to suspect anything from us unlike rooms on the other end of the hall, where there was an obvious odor of weed. Let alone not allow us to get dressed.

When they do a search like that it doesn't mean they suspect you they have to do a certain percentage. You should be happy that they are doing thier job not feel violated

Oh and when they come to do a search it is SOP to make you step out right away in order to prevent hiding of or removing from your personal effects contraband

Sometimes there are dogs at the ports and sometimes there are none. Most times they do not come near passengers, just sniffing luggage.

I have never seen the dogs anywhere near the passengers either. They are usually sniffing around in the baggage areas if they are present at all.

Are there really police sniffing dogs in the Miami port, our friends are traveling with us and the wife has a phobia to dogs. They are considering cancelling there trip because of this. Can someone please help...

CBP has dogs at EVERY port of entry into the US, whether by land, sea or air. Sometimes you see them sometimes you don't but they are ALWAYS there.

Yes, while waiting for a taxi a Sheriff deputy and his canine patrolled beside us and you know the doggie was a-sniffin' for drugs.

If your friend has a dog phobia, you may want to check on what other phobias exist. Could be that a cruise is just not their thing! Way out at sea is no place to discover you are afraid of not seeing land.

It's pretty easy to get away with smuggling it on board.

Just don't even think about smuggling it off! Also, some police in the local ports (Bermuda especially) will enter your room with a dog to find the drugs. The fines support their local economy!

the wife has a phobia to dogs. ...

:eek:

Man, that sucks (for her)! I can't imagine being afraid of dogs....that's truly awful.

On the bright side, I have never personally come across dogs at any port (although I know they must have them there) BUT there was a working dog (a black lab) ON the last ship I sailed.

There are also dogs on some of the islands...I've seen (and played with ...don't lecture me) stray ones running loose.

Cruising with this couple may be a nightmare for you. :( I'm truly sorry.

My heart breaks for people with phobias and I thank God I have none.

I have sailed out of Miami 4 times in the last year and a half.

Twice they had dogs sniffing luggage just AFTER you hand your documents and declarations sheet to the customs officer when getting off the ship. Most recently the guy in front of me was sniffed out by a dog and they pulled him and his bags aside for a thorough search. The dogs don't jump on anyone. They stroll past the passengers carrying their luggage and give the signal to their human agent when they detect something.

I too have a fear of dogs, but never did I feel scared when they sniff my stuff they were very docile. They aren't the same dogs that the police use on the streets.

Although I have seen more of them in airports than anything.

Are there really police sniffing dogs in the Miami port, our friends are traveling with us and the wife has a phobia to dogs. They are considering cancelling there trip because of this. Can someone please help...

Due to a terrifying experience I had as a child, I am very scared of any dog bigger than a Dachshund. I have not seen dogs at ports myself, but tell your friend that police dogs are very strictly trained. I heard that they sniff the luggage being brought onboard and really don't bother with people.

I have seen them before. I don't recall which port it was where we were standing in line for customs ( I think NOLA) and they brought a dog who would take an occasional sniff. He went by us and then came back and sniffed DH butt :eek: and then walked off. I and everyone around us thought it was funny. DH was not so thrilled!

When we were getting of the Pride in Port Canaveral, there was a beagle sniffing at everyone's bags and such as we were walking through the terminal.

He zeroed in on some gum in my friend's bag and the police asked her if she had food with her and she replied with "Just gum" and we continued on our way.

It was a totally painless experience for us getting off the Liberty March 5th. The dog and his handler were there as we entered the terminal. The dog merely sniffed at everyone as we went by, did not touch us, did not react in any way. Truly nothing to be worried about. Yeah, what is up with people going off on someone for asking a question. :rolleyes: We are all different, and a simple question deserves a simple answer, IMO!

No smart remarks just a comment that when we landed at FLL in November to visit our son, there were police dogs sniffing luggage at the airport. We were chatting with one of the handlers and he told us they do routine training at the airport to keep the dogs sharp. Hope your friend is able to cope.

This is from the same people who consider shoving 750ml Captain Morgan bottles in their butts and put liquor in their children's backpacks to get by CCL screeners.:rolleyes:

Have you considered that this is apples to oranges???? One product is legal to consume and the other is NOT. It's a drug. Wow, talk about judging and coming to the defense here. :cool: By the way, neither is right but really, don't compare sins. Both are wrong.

We have never cruised out of any port where there were not dogs sniffing the luggage:eek: However, this past June leaving NO was the first time that while we were line to get off the ship that a dog, with handler, were coming down the hall sniffing at people. The dog came back to my son's small carry off a couple of times, and after giving him a very dirty look:mad: he said "don't look at me, I don't have anything. I don't know what that dog's doing". But I must say I saw do this to a couple of people:eek: After a few minutes of walking the hall they left. We had not made it to customs yet, we were still in line to get down that way.

There not just in the port they bring them on the ship. Both ships last Jan at debarkation we were on the lido deck and here comes sniffer checking out the bath rooms. No big deal you don't know when they will show up or where. If you got problems with that, its your problem. All cruise lines may have this done, its not the cruise lines that do it. We talked to 2 of the officers and people throw drugs away in the bathrooms, thats why they check it out. Almost all the luggage get sniffed at the baggage area. They even do this at the airport.

Archived