Random thought - Living on the ship?

lelalenore

It may be cheaper than assisted living. But then again, if you need to live at an assisted living community, then you may not be able to live on your own on a cruise ship.

Who said assisted living? Not all residents of retirement communities need assisted living. A lot of them live there for the community feel and the prepared meals and housekeeping that's taken care of. Hmmm, sounds like a cruise ship. A lot cheaper on a ship and in an emergency, there's an actual doctor a few feet away. Retirement communities, unless they're a nursing home, usually don't have a doctor there 24/7.

It seems like a cool idea at first. But don't you think the "special" feeling about cruising would be lost after a while? Maybe I should try a world cruise first to see how it feels after 6 months or so.

It seems like people try to get on ships that might repeat itins often, but more throughout the year. Like you do easter/western carrib 8 times, but then move to hawaii for a month, then asia and then europe. RCL or Princess would be a better choice than CCL in such a case.

Several people have done it. Probably the most famous is Bea Mueller of New York who lived on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth II for a number of years. She allowed that living on the ship was cheaper than an apartment in New York...

:)

And I worked on the QE2 when she lived there!!

If I was rich I would cruise on all of the ships on different cruiselines. I would also stay in Land Resorts all over the world.

I would also stay at the All Inclusive hotels in different countries.

I would also stay in Bed & Breakfast Victorian homes in Canada.

I would live in a Active Senior Community too as my home base.

I am presently able to do that..... but only a few times per year.lol.

My wish is to be able to do it more often since I am retired. A gal can dream and sometimes dreams can come true. All I need is for a Leprecan to share his pot of gold with me.lol.

If I was rich I would cruise on all of the ships on different cruiselines. I would also stay in Land Resorts all over the world.

I would also stay at the All Inclusive hotels in different countries.

I would also stay in Bed & Breakfast Victorian homes in Canada.

I would live in a Active Senior Community too as my home base.

I am presently able to do that..... but only a few times per year.lol.

My wish is to be able to do it more often since I am retired. A gal can dream and sometimes dreams can come true. All I need is for a Leprecan to share his pot of gold with me.lol.

Or the winning Mega Millions Jackpot Friday night!

There is a guy I meet who said he does Carnival once a month short cruises out of New orleans. he had over 100 cruises on just Carnival. He sang Battle Hymn of the Republic during the talent show and of course got huge applause.

With 100 cruises probably 1/2 the past guests had been on his roll calls at some point.

I was thinking, just last night, that buying a small 1BR condo in Miami for retirement and then taking one cruise a month would be a good way to spend retirement. That way we wouldn't get "cabin fever" with such a small apartment because we really wouldn't be in it but 3 weeks a month. Now to get my husband to retire early so we can get this plan rolling. :D

Id be 1st in line..lmao

I love this thread what a great one :)

It made me laugh too and with the day im having im lovin it...

My 16 yr old son would love this idea to live on a ship if he could..along with the rest of us of course but I think I would put on alot of weight with eating all that great food and not to mention the Chocolate Melting Cake ouch!!

Thanks for readn' my post! Yeah, this is a good thread, these are the kind I look for on my lunch break at work- my afternoon is a lot happier. I was thinking this afternoon, if this floating retirement community would have solar panels that spraw out on floating platforms for power the ship could be fossil fuel free until needed to move ship. I think I think to much at work:D. By the way, thanks mentioning 'chocolate' and 'cake'. I'm really hungery for chocolate cake now!:p

Back when I was in the Navy in the 70's, I made two seven month cruises to the Med. Now mind you I was on a grey ship, slept in a room with 30 other guys and had to work 12 hour days....I plan on retiring in about 5-6 years. This concept sounds doable. I'd love to be back at sea for a good six month, of course I'd probably gain 500 pounds in those six months...have any of you thought of that?

Thanks for readn' my post! Yeah, this is a good thread, these are the kind I look for on my lunch break at work- my afternoon is a lot happier. I was thinking this afternoon, if this floating retirement community would have solar panels that spraw out on floating platforms for power the ship could be fossil fuel free until needed to move ship. I think I think to much at work:D. By the way, thanks mentioning 'chocolate' and 'cake'. I'm really hungery for chocolate cake now!:p

Plus add a few windmills to generate more electricity.

:)

I met an older woman and her husband on last cruise that stated they could cruise cheaper than stay in assisted living and had the benefit of being with each other. They were adorable. She said "We get three meals a day and never have to do anything or clean anything." I think it would be awesome to do in yur later years if your health is not to where you need more medical assistance that you cant get on the ship. Its a great thought to be married at that age and be able to do this. Ship living sure beats the crap out of assisted living.

This is a great idea. Totally Doable, if your house is paid off by the time you retire.... sell it and take that money and your pension and your all set. I have been thinking about this all day, since I read this post last night..

How awesome would that be...........

This is a great idea. Totally Doable, if your house is paid off by the time you retire.... sell it and take that money and your pension and your all set. I have been thinking about this all day, since I read this post last night..

How awesome would that be...........

Until you get pnumonia and they put you off the ship in Phuket.

Archived