Excursions

jrkfrk

On previous cruises, in foreign ports, we have usually scheduled private tours as we don't care to be moved about with zillions of other people on a bus to places we'd rather not go! We will be on our first Seabourn cruise this fall from Rome to Istanbul (Seabourn Pride - so I already know that there can't be "zillions"), and wondered about the quality of their "ship's" excursions. We'd appreciate any input from past cruisers!

Fran (and Jeff)

I'm with Wripro on this one. We try and do as many private tours as we can and often arrange these via the web with private companies. We do also take Seabourn tours, usually when we are in a port where time is a factor and we don't want the stress of having to make the ship on time. For us it also depends what country we are touring in. If traffic is a factor in a city as it sometimes can be in Asia we tend to book the ships tours but it really does depend on what country we are touring. The Seabourn tours we have done have always been well organized but some have been better than others. I have done about 4 shopping with the chef experiences and loved all of them.

going on first SB in May,and not sure what to book,,,did 2 online,,because time seems a factor,,,but will wait on others,,or do them ourselves...since ship is smaller,,hopefully the crowded buses,,or large groups not a factor...going to Norway....so scenery is main draw,,,not towns per se....love CC advice..:)

There have been many other discussions here about the trips to the Fjords and all. Have you tried a search for them? They also include some stunning photos by a few of our very talented photogs. (If you have, sorry for this suggestion.)

I never had a crowd on the little sisters and have never gotten off the one Odyssey cruise, which was in the Caribbean.

I'm with Wripro on this one. We try and do as many private tours as we can and often arrange these via the web with private companies. We do also take Seabourn tours, usually when we are in a port where time is a factor and we don't want the stress of having to make the ship on time. For us it also depends what country we are touring in. If traffic is a factor in a city as it sometimes can be in Asia we tend to book the ships tours but it really does depend on what country we are touring. The Seabourn tours we have done have always been well organized but some have been better than others. I have done about 4 shopping with the chef experiences and loved all of them.

Any tips on finding the best private companies at the various ports? I am looking for recommendations for Lisbon, Valencia and Bordeaux.

Wripro's suggestion is good. In Valencia I took a ship's excursion and the successive times I have been there, just got a cab/shuttle and parked myself at a cafe outside the market, which is fabulous.

There is a great driver/guide in Lisbon, whom many of us use. Miguel Conde. I have emailed him to be sure his information is correct. However, perhaps a cruiser has used him more recently and can chime in. I had planned to use him one day, and used him for 3.

Would you mind giving the email address for Miguel Conde?

This is the address I have and I emailed him to try and check it. Perhaps someone else has another one. Martita, when she disembarks and is back on land, may have it. She always uses him when she's in Lisbon.

magdac_71@hotmail.com

Good luck, he's a treasure!

• 2 weeks later...

We did a Seabourn tour in Pompeii and it was worth every penny. Bus was not full, only about 25 of us on the tour instead of the usual large crowds that we passed.

Our guide was very knowledgable and he altered his tour to take us away from the crowds, there was so much to see.

Another tour was to Delphi, again the tour guide was excellent. Very well organised.

If you need a guide in Rome or a transfer to the ship I can recommend Joe(Guido)Banana. We used him recently from the Spirit. He was fantastic, and less expensive than some of others I have used in the past. If you want more info you can contact me at jagi@gmail.com.

I have used Miguel Conde (Lisbon) for many years ~actually, we now think 'we're cousins! Do give him a phone call as he doesn't check his e-mails often. He owns two black Mercedes ~his father drives the other car.

I have a wonderful car/driver in Funchal, Madeira if anyone would like a reference. Just used him in April.

Happy Easter:p

Martita B.

Archived