Chair Hogs BEWARE

thank you sweet carolina girl for agreeing with me. it's not the idea of policing the chairs it's the time limit. i would hate to be enjoying the pool or hot tub or standing in line for an ice cream and have to time myself. IMO one hour seems more than reasonable.

When I first cruised with RC on Navigator OTS, I didn't have a problem finding a chair; though, I must admit, I was rarely on the deck. I do hope to get prime Solarium chairs for me and my new hubby without being told they are taken or to see someone's stuff on them.

Thanks for this rule.:D

but how about if it was your stuff removed when you were only standing in line for an ice cream or visiting a bathroom or stopped to talk with an aquaintance.

I agree, I like that the rules are being enforced and hogs will hog no longer. ;)

I have to say though I understand the comments from those who like to be *in* the pool for an extended amount of time. We do too!! Personally since we don't use chairs much I would be just fine with a cubby or shelf to place my shoes and bag while we are in the pool or hot tub, or in the H20 zone with the kids. That would be nice to have and just may cut down on the chairs being occupied by towels, books, and bags.

but how about if it was your stuff removed when you were only standing in line for an ice cream or visiting a bathroom or stopped to talk with an aquaintance.

30 minutes seems sufficient. Ice Cream, bathroom, talking generally don't take more than 30 minutes and if they do then ask somebody to watch your stuff. I suspect their timing isn't to the precise second or minute so there's probably a little slack time.

We're only at sea a few precious days when the demand for chairs is highest and an hour of prime time pool use is a very long time to be unoccupied.

Especially in the Solarium. The amazing covered chairs were either taken or being held with things in them all day.

If you're going to be gone more than 30 minutes then you can find another chair when you get back. If we all did that then there'd be more availability.

I too am thrilled to see that RCI is actually enforcing this policy. Too many times I have seen towels saving chairs for people who show up hours later. As for those who are genuinely in the hot tub for 30 minutes? Firstly, not really good for the bod to be in there that long, but if it's the case, you could actually leave a note asking the crew to come to the hot tub and verify that it's you who are there and requiring the seat to remain. If it's a policy, it should be enforced. Well done, RCI!

As long as one person was there they wouldn't bother them....at least if it wasn't a big group of chairs they were holding....but ones that sat empty with no folks were bagged and tagged. I did see some people come back and then have words with the people who were now sitting in those chairs....and to be fair it had nothing to do with people complaining....deck crew was doing it on their own.

Yea! This is great. Two things I like to share when the subject comes up and it does frequently. My apologies to those who have heard my story before. I was on Freedom, got lucky and found two chairs together. After about an hour, some guy comes up and starts yelling at me asking where his book and towel is. Being as mellow as I am on vacation I tell him it was empty when I arrived here an hour ago. He continues to yell at me about moving his stuff and I'm almost to the point where I am looking for cameras so I can find a spot to throw him overboard and not be seen when he realizes his stuff is still where he left it, in the same position on the other side of the solarium. He just stormed off with out an apology.

Below is a picture another CC member took when Freedom was brand new.

chairhog.jpg

I think 30 minutes is a bit short! :eek: Maybe an hour, but not 30 minutes! My DH and I like to sit in the hot tub, pool or go get ice cream etc. If I come back to my chair and my belongings are gone I will be extremely angry! :mad: We pay to much money to cruise to be treated like children!

If your in the pool or hot tub, just keep an eye on your chair. If you were to speak up and say, "I'm here" I bet that would be fine.

I think this is great news! As for the 1/2 hour time frame, I feel this is very reasonable. If anyone is going to be away from their seat for more than 1/2 an hour, it is probably reasonable for them to vacate the chair so someone else can use it - if everyone did this, there wouldn't really be a problem.

This is a big problem on my cruises. I am happy RCI is doing this and will be a big factor in me considering them in the future. To be on a cruise and not be able to get a chair (for basically an entire cruise) anywhere near the pool should not be. Thanks RCI and keep it up. And 30 minutes is perfect.

I certainly believe that 30 minutes is more than long enough. If you want drinks, they will bring those to you. If you want ice cream, one of your party can go get it. If you need to go to the powder room, only 1 needs to go at a time.

Honestly, I find it quite entertaining when these 'chair hogs' return 1-2 hours later (sometimes longer)to find their stuff gone **poof**. It was some of the BEST entertainment on the ships and I for one enjoyed it as well as my family. :) (we were in our chairs;)

just an observation. what if you and your husband are in the pool or hot tub for more than 30 minutes you lose not only your chair but have to hunt down all your belonings. i, too, do not like chair hogs but maybe 30 minutes is too short of a time, what do you all think.
IMHO 30 minutes is plenty and very generous, as mentioned 30 minutes in a hot tub isn't recommended.

So happy they're enforcing this policy. I think 30 minutes is plenty of time. It's not healthy to spend that much time in the hot tub, and I normally take a quick dip in the pool just to cool off. A quick trip to get some ice cream or a snack certainly takes shorter than that. I think the policy is fair.

When I was on the Allure in Jan, the 30 minute signs were up, but I didn't see any enforcement of the 30 minute rule.

Having said that, also on the Allure, we were never able to not find a deck chair. Sure it might not be in the first row near the pool, but we could always find chairs, even at noon on a sea day.

In contrast, we have been on other ships where we could not find a chair after 9am because mommy wants little Johnny to have a chair, even though he is still sleeping in the stateroom.

To be considerate of others, my wife and I always vacate our pool chairs if we will be gone for awhile, say to lunch. But you are in the immediate area, then I don't see a problem if your chair goes unattended for awhile.

I suppose old geezers napping for two hours could also be classified as vacating their chair for more than 30 minutes, but I'll not get into that. Heck, it might be me one day.

There are only so many chairs at the pool; 30 minutes is more than sufficient. While I am sure that I will ruffle a few feathers with this comment, it seems selfish to me to expect no one else to use a chair in the event you may or may not want to use the chair at some future time. Yes you paid for your cruise and want to enjoy yourself, but so did everyone else.

Glad to see RCL start to enforce the rules.

awboater,

I read your comments regarding chair hogging on RCL and would like to give my opinion on your thoughts. Your comment about "old geezers napping for two hours" hit a nerve with me. There are plenty of young adults that occupy chairs for well over two hours at a time sunbathing. Would you tell them that after thirty minutes they have to give up their chairs? What is the difference from napping and sunbathing when one is occupying a chair? If a chair is not being used and is empty for over 30 minutes I can see your point and agree with your argument but to comment on "old geezers" occupying a chair for their pleasure of "napping" for two hours is a derogatory insult that should not have been included in your comments on chair hogs. I realize it is your opinion, but not a fair one. You stated at the end of this comment "but, I'll not get into that", but obviously you have by that negative comment on the seniors use of deck chairs. And, yes, you might be a senior on day and I hope you will be able to enjoy and be healthy enough to experience cruising without the negative complaints from the younger passenger population that you are chair hogging while enjoying your nap (sunbathing) for more than 30 minutes. Seniors have the same rights to sunbathe as the young adults do, we have earned it. Bon Voyage..! :)

Honestly I didn't know there were so many hot tub experts on this board!:eek: My DH and I own a hot tub, and yes we do sit in it for more than 30 minutes! Sometimes we are even in for hours! Oh no! :eek: Seriously, if I want to relax in the hot tub on the ship for 30 minutes, it's my choice. I am on vacation and don't want to keep wondering if my belongings are going to "poof" dissappear! Some people on these boards can be so judgemental! :(

IMHO 30 minutes is plenty and very generous, as mentioned 30 minutes in a hot tub isn't recommended.

As moderator of whatsthebest-hottub.com your getting into my territory there a bit. Sometimes my definition of a hot tub and RCI's doesn't match. I've found them to be anywhere from 85-104 degrees F at anytime. Anything above 100 for more than 30 minutes may not be recommended, but that can vary. Outside air temp can be a factor as you breathe cooler air in to cool yourself off. If your very overweight, then 10 minutes at 104 may cause you problems. Hot tubs sold in the US must have a configured max setting of 104, but I don't assume that RCI has to follow those guidelines. If you have a cool drink in hand and get and/or sit on the edge a few minutes now and then 30 minutes is no problem. I can do 30 minutes at 104 if its at or near 0F

BTW, I have found on my cruise history so far I have to hunt around to find a tub over 100F most of the time on RCI ships. I'll look forward to seeing how this is on Allure.

Honestly I didn't know there were so many hot tub experts on this board!:eek: My DH and I own a hot tub, and yes we do sit in it for more than 30 minutes! Sometimes we are even in for hours! Oh no! :eek: Seriously, if I want to relax in the hot tub on the ship for 30 minutes, it's my choice. I am on vacation and don't want to keep wondering if my belongings are going to "poof" dissappear! Some people on these boards can be so judgemental! :(

Hi, glad to introduce myself, see my message right after yours ;)

I think 30 minutes is a bit short! :eek: Maybe an hour, but not 30 minutes! My DH and I like to sit in the hot tub, pool or go get ice cream etc. If I come back to my chair and my belongings are gone I will be extremely angry! :mad: We pay to much money to cruise to be treated like children!

If you are sitting in the hot tub or pool, you should be able to keep an eye on your chairs. If an employee goes to move your things, I'm guessing if you said, "we're over here in the hot tub, we'll be right back to the chairs in a minute," they would not bag up your belongings.

If the ice cream line is more than 30 minutes long, I can't imagine both my husband and I standing waiting for it. "You pay too much money to cruise" to stand in line all day. Leave your husband in line and go sit on your chair.

I suppose old geezers napping for two hours could also be classified as vacating their chair for more than 30 minutes, but I'll not get into that. Heck, it might be me one day..

Only if you mean they are napping under their chair, as I don't think anybody cares what you are doing if you are occupying the chair.

I have to say I just returned from Allure on Sunday and never saw them clearing anything off chairs. They did make announcements and perhaps they did clear chairs but jusy not around us. We left our chairs occasionally (only 2 chairs) and were never gone more than 45 mins to an hour and never had a problem. We would leave to grab something to eat, etc and return which I think is a very fair deal.

We are heading onboard in June and a'm happy to hear they are enforcing the rule. We have 2 young kids but we only take 2 chairs. When we were on Oasis last June, we really had no problem finding seats around 1 of the pools.....sometimes not a lounger, but always seats. It IS aggravating when you just want to be out there and chair after chair has stuff on it and no one shows up for hours!!:rolleyes:

Archived