A year to lose.....

CrimsonQueen

I have a year to lose the weight I gained when I stopped smoking. Although I have a cruise booked in two weeks, my "eye is on the prize" of my cruise on March 17, 2012.

May I have a buddy that will commit with me for an entire year??

I'm here!

My story is that I'm turning 40 in March 2012...the cruise has been booked since summer 2010 (there was a steal of a deal because the cruise line picked the wrong week for the spring break price hike and we jumped on the deal). It wasn't really until September that I found a physical activity that I could honestly enjoy doing. (ZUMBA). I've been going steady ever since...I'm over six months into this change...I'm totally in for the long haul...and I'm about halfway to goal.

I've been loving have the long term goal...it helps to encourage developing healthy habits that can last...not just a quick fix...whatever you do, be sure to take your measurements in addition to using a scale...sometimes...your body will undergo a change in composition that will result in zero change on the scale but significant change in inches...this happened to me...I didn't lose weight for several weeks...I think two months?...but I lost 2" around my bust and hips in that same time frame...being able to see progress helps to keep the motivation. :D

If you want someone who is going to be pretty much 100% on track and will do her best to motivate you, send me an email :) My next cruise is January of 2012 as well. I expect to be at my goal weight before then.

A lot can happen in a year... in one year I lost 116lbs. You can read about my journey at http://stomach-rumblings.blogspot.com My email address is there as well.

I have ~35 more to go and I know it will come off more slowly as I reach goal but I am very excited to get there!

I'm here!

My story is that I'm turning 40 in March 2012...the cruise has been booked since summer 2010 (there was a steal of a deal because the cruise line picked the wrong week for the spring break price hike and we jumped on the deal). It wasn't really until September that I found a physical activity that I could honestly enjoy doing. (ZUMBA). I've been going steady ever since...I'm over six months into this change...I'm totally in for the long haul...and I'm about halfway to goal.

I've been loving have the long term goal...it helps to encourage developing healthy habits that can last...not just a quick fix...whatever you do, be sure to take your measurements in addition to using a scale...sometimes...your body will undergo a change in composition that will result in zero change on the scale but significant change in inches...this happened to me...I didn't lose weight for several weeks...I think two months?...but I lost 2" around my bust and hips in that same time frame...being able to see progress helps to keep the motivation.

Congratulations on being half way to to your goal, and thanks for the tips on taking measurments.l I received a "wellness screening" two weeks ago as part of my insurance requirements, so I have a beginning mean. :eek:

We have a Weight Watchers at Work group that meets in our building every Wednesday...and that is my "lifestyle" right now. In fact, I use to work for WW back in the 80's so I understand the program and know it works!!

I want to add some physical activity and walking is it for me at this time..... I also have some line-dancing tapes, but currently can't get the silly DVD/VCR to work! :mad:

Thanks for agreeing to stick with me for the year.....and you look fabulous already.....can't imagine when you hit the Fabulous Forty!! :)

May I ask your name? I'm Ginny

Congrats on quitting smoking! Losing weight will be easy compared to that.

Kirk

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kirk! When I first quit (June 30, 2009) I didn't gain any weight at all. However, come September of that same year....first Alabama football game....and I panicked!!:eek: I get very nervous when my team is playing, and it just hit me on that Saturday that I would have to go the entire season without a cigarette!!! It was either eat or smoke, and I chose to eat.....:o

If you want someone who is going to be pretty much 100% on track and will do her best to motivate you, send me an email :) My next cruise is January of 2012 as well. I expect to be at my goal weight before then.

A lot can happen in a year... in one year I lost 116lbs. You can read about my journey at http://stomach-rumblings.blogspot.com My email address is there as well.

I have ~35 more to go and I know it will come off more slowly as I reach goal but I am very excited to get there!

Congratulations, Susie.....wonderful news!! I will look at your blogspot!

Congratulations on being half way to to your goal, and thanks for the tips on taking measurments.l I received a "wellness screening" two weeks ago as part of my insurance requirements, so I have a beginning mean. :eek:

We have a Weight Watchers at Work group that meets in our building every Wednesday...and that is my "lifestyle" right now. In fact, I use to work for WW back in the 80's so I understand the program and know it works!!

I want to add some physical activity and walking is it for me at this time..... I also have some line-dancing tapes, but currently can't get the silly DVD/VCR to work! :mad:

Thanks for agreeing to stick with me for the year.....and you look fabulous already.....can't imagine when you hit the Fabulous Forty!! :)

May I ask your name? I'm Ginny

I'm not familiar with WW on a personal level, but I think I get the jist from several people I know IRL or through the internet...the accountability is great...but one thing I caution you about are those weekly weigh ins...I think the pressure of those can be nerve wracking and as a woman, this especially doesn't help weight loss...I recently read a book that explained about all the different hormones, what affects them, and how they can contribute to weight gain or loss...I think the book was called Ultimate You and I detailed the most interesting information in my Zumba thread...

Anyway...my point is to just relax and let things unfold...if you stick with it...change will occur.

Walking is excellent exercise...do you have a heart rate monitor?...one thing that you can do to increase your physical benefit from walking is to change up the pace that you walk...the best thing you can do is irregular intervals...you can walk to the beat of a varying song list...the last thing you want to do is just try to maintain the same pace for the whole time...your body will quickly get used to whatever you do...so push it for a while...then ease off...have irregular intervals of high heart rate and lower heart rate...don't worry about trying to stay in the "fat burning zone"...what you really want to do is throw your body into what is being called metabolic chaos...I talk about this too in the Zumba thread...this is one thing that can make Zumba such an effective fat burning exercise...but you can duplicate the results by doing the irregular intervals yourself.

Thank you for the compliment...I assume you mean my avatar? One thing that helps with that picture is that I'm wearing a great color for me...do you ever spend time on the Fashion board?...Read any Curt Jerome Wild threads?...I'm totally into color analysis...but that is one reason why I look so good in that photo...;)...plus...it's just a head shot...you can't see the abs...:p

I go by Anita online...I had an issue happen on another message forum that was a bit of a worry and choose to not reveal personal information since I have revealed my Houston location...:o

I am happy to be here for the year...you haven't revealed your goals...my ultimate is to be 137 pounds...I base this on my height and frame size (based on the measurement of my wrist)...I may have to reevaluate this as I approach because I have a muscular body type...I'll have to see what my measurements and body fat % is as I get closer to goal...right now I'm weighing in about 175...but my big thing is measurements...I've lost about 6" everywhere around my torso and over 2" around each thigh...I started somewhere over 205...I didn't really want to get on a scale...and that was my highest number...

Thanks, Anita....I weigh in on Wednesdays and will try and post the -/+ each week. I understand about the stress of the weekly weigh-in...as a lifetime member, I'm only required to weigh in once a month. However, at this point, I need that accountability.:o

Yes, I have a heart rate monitor, and since I live in the country, I will actually be walking the natural terrain, instead of a treadmill. Since I live in Tennessee, there are several small hills :) and I have three different routes that I take, so I don't get bored. I've just started back walking, since we've switched to DST....before that, it was dark when I got home. I actually work in Nashville, so I have quite a commute....dark when I leave, and until recently, dark when I returned.

My first goal is simply to lose the weight I picked up when I quite smoking....I'll round it off to 30 pounds :eek:. Once I hit that goal, then I will look at my permanent goal....because of my age, and bone structure, I don't want my orignal WW goal of 125 pounds....perhaps 150, but I'll see when I get near that.

We've have a "partnership" insurance program now, and it keeps my costs lower to take an active role in my health....hence the no smoking, and now the weight. Besides, with my family's health history, I feel like a walking time bomb anyway!!

I do read the Fashion thread on this website, and I was "color-coded":) years ago....I am all about skin care/makeup/overall pampering Ginny :pI don't follow my "season" as much as I once did....but I basically wear black/white/red and grey....easier to match shoes and carry one makeup palette.....

I am so proud for you!! You've really made your goal not about a number, but about your health....good for you!! And, that's exactly what I want to do as well.......Ginny

That's awesome that you have such a nice place to walk around in...at least, I'm picturing a nice place...and being outside is always better...dealing with the differences in terrain as you walk outside helps your body to not become too accustomed to what you are doing...and that's what you need to do in order to have your exercise (whatever it is) continue to be as effective as time passes.

With commuting...and trying to walk...food planning is going to be a biggie for you...I know all about that...not because I was the commuter...DH was...for over two years he drove 120+ miles every work day...through HORRIBLE traffic...could be over 3 hours on the road. Do you have a good system for eating? We kind of perfected our own for him...I know how that commuting can be so limiting on time...if you don't have a good plan in place either the food or the exercise plan will suffer.

We have to deal with evening activities 4/5 work week days...our system for dealing with that is evolving...that is our big food challenge...it's hard to resist "picking something up" on the way home...but that's the goal...eat from home.

What was your season? I'm an autumn/earth (Curt's label). I love the dressing according to the color palatte...it has made my life so much easier...shopping is easier too...and I love not having any restrictions on the colors...I just have to find warm, muted colors...between the colors and the weight loss, I've been in the process of a total wardrobe makeover.

Ginny, how'd it go last night?

I'm so sorry, Anita! I leave in 7 days for my cruise, and between shopping/packing/catching up at work.....well, you've been there, right? All the extra work is worth it once we step on that ship!!:D

I lost 1.4 pounds! :) Slow and steady wins the race....I'm in this for the long haul, and not just wanting to drop some quick weight.

Total weight loss at this point is 9.2 pounds.....20.8 to go to reach my first goal.....

My cruising buddy is also on WW, so hopefully we can help each other on the cruise. Plus, we are in an aft wrap balcony, so we will have to walk to get anywhere!! :o

And, how are you??

I only weigh and measure monthly...LOL. My long-term goal started at over 70 pounds...I wanted to see big differences from measurement to measurement...I weigh and measure next week!

Tonight I have been getting ready for my Zumba training class tomorrow. Should be quite a calorie burn tomorrow...I understand from my Zumba instructor that it will 8 intense hours of activity!

Archived