Taxi drop off Manhattan Pier

TwinCruiserMom

I have been reading all the information I can about cruising out of Manhattan and I would like to know where do the taxis drop you off for the Veendam?

I have seen several posts that have people getting dropped off on 12th Ave. Are taxis not allowed into the port? I was hoping to get dropped off right next to the luggage collection like they do in Fort Lauderdale.

Where do you get a taxi after your cruise?

Thanks for any information.

depending on traffic, you can drive up to the terminal and drop off of your luggage. if traffic is heavy and the traffic signals take forever to change then sometimes its just easier to walk the block or so to the terminal

after the cruise, there is a taxi stand near by that can dispatch a cab for you

I've taken a taxi to the Manhattan cruise terminal several times. The embarkation terminal is up a steep hill. On a few occasions, when traffic was heavy getting into the port, taxi drivers have tried to talk me into being dropped off at street level. It might not be a big deal to take an elevator up to the embarkation terminal, but I've always insisted they "go up the hill" to drop me off...and they always have. I also tip them well-it's a tough job, and the drivers have invariably been kind. Once you're "up the hill" and out of the taxi, there will be lots and lots of porters to take your luggage. They're also nice folks who deserve every tip they get. You'll then go indoors, where people are waiting to direct you to the appropriate cruiseline.

On debarkation day, you'll be directed to where you can collect your luggage and to go outdoors to the taxi queue. Depending on how many ships are in port, it'll be a madhouse. The best advice I can give is to find the port worker giving out tickets for the queue. She (it's always been a she, in my experience), is the one shouting out numbers, and having the ticket will make your life much easier. Remember, they're moving massive amounts of people and you WILL stand in line for awhile. Sometimes it goes fast, and sometimes it doesn't.

I've probably made it sound complicated, but it really isn't. You will need patience, though. It might not be as fast a process as you're used to. Sometimes it's very slow indeed!

When it is a mad house to get a Taxi there are lines with TLC Dispatchers across the street which for me was much quicker then the long line on the side of the pier.

Thanks! This is very good to know. How does it work? Collect luggage in the terminal, take the elevator down to street level and go to the TLC Dispatchers there?

Thanks! This is very good to know. How does it work? Collect luggage in the terminal, take the elevator down to street level and go to the TLC Dispatchers there?

If you're at Pier 88 you will already be at street level when you collect your luggage. After you clear immigration and customs and after you exit the terminal building just continue walking and cross 12th Avenue to the northbound side of the street.

We are looking for place to store our luggage in NYC for 2-3 hours prior to our departure home on Amtrak. I’ve read that Amtrak has storage room for luggage. Is this true, has anybody used it recently? If so, where is it located and how do we get access to it. Yes, we will have tickets for Amtrak.

If no longer an option, does anyone have anyother recommendation on short-term luggage storage near Penn Station?

Thanks!

If you're at Pier 88 you will already be at street level when you collect your luggage.

Googel Earth or Google Maps for 48th St & 12th Ave, you can see the Taxi Stand clearly in street view (pictured on a day with no ships in port) on the southeast corner.

Yes you have to lug your luggage across the street, but the lines are shorter. I've even been dropped off there so my family who was not curising didn't have to go thru the traffic and up the ramps and was able to give my luggage to the porters right on streeet level and get a good picture of the bow of the shop ;)

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking for place to store our luggage in NYC for 2-3 hours prior to our departure home on Amtrak. I’ve read that Amtrak has storage room for luggage. Is this true, has anybody used it recently? If so, where is it located and how do we get access to it. Yes, we will have tickets for Amtrak.

If no longer an option, does anyone have anyother recommendation on short-term luggage storage near Penn Station?

Thanks!

If it's only 2-3 hours, you can probably just check your luggage directly. My information is about a year old, but at that point, you could begin checking your luggage in 6 hours prior to train departure. Call Amtrak for confirmation.

Archived