How Strict is the Vatican Museum on Entry Time?

trabeler

Apologies if this question has been asked before... I did some searching and couldn't find anything.

We will be in Rome in June for one day and will pre-book Vatican museum entry tickets online. The site lets you select times in 30 minute increments.

I've seen some posts about people who showed up a little early (15-30 minutes) and had no problems with entry, but none concerning being late or being very early, etc.

We plan to arrive at the Vatican around mid-day, so there may be some error in our timing. Our question is whether or not they are strict with entry, particularly if we are, say, 30 minutes or so late. If you're not on time, is it better to be early or late?

Thanks to all for all the great input on this forum.

Having only the day in Rome - coming from a cruise ship, we're also thinking about an appointment time. We will probably play it safe and book the 3:00 museum entry time (the last appointment). That way if we are delayed with earlier touring, we'll stand a better chance of making the appointed time, and won't feel as rushed (except the museum closes at 6:00).

Sorry if I didn't have an answer, but missing the appointment time was a concern too, and I don't want to chance it.

i've read here that they are pretty stern about you arriving 15 minutes early. and make sure both men & women need to cover shoulders and knees or they won't let u in.

Can't answer as to the how early or how late you can arrive, but I don't think the Vatican museum cares if your knees and shoulders are covered. It is the Basilica where you must be dressed properly.

That said, a lot of people plan to go directly to the Basilica after the museum, so just be prepared.

The vatican website says you must be dressed "appropriately to visit the museums, St. Peter's basilica, and the Sistine Chapel. That means shoulders and knees covered. I assume this is because all roads in the museums inevitably lead to the Sistine Chapel, which is a place of worship. Also, no photography in the chapel.

We were there last week, we arrived about 3.20-3.25 a little late for our 3pm slot and got in no problems.

If you can, do the Basillica and St peters first, as they are even more amaxing than the vatican museums IMO. You wont have time to visit them after the museums, as they start turning people away about 5.30-6ish as it shuts then.

We were there last week, we arrived about 3.20-3.25 a little late for our 3pm slot and got in no problems.

If you can, do the Basillica and St peters first, as they are even more amaxing than the vatican museums IMO. You wont have time to visit them after the museums, as they start turning people away about 5.30-6ish as it shuts then.

In the winter, yes. In the summer the basilica is open until 7 PM.

Archived