cruising up the coast weather in May

Gingee

Dense fog for us every May in San Francisco so I am assuming the coastals in May are likely to be fog-ridden too since the fog moves inland from the ocean.

We are on the Coastal in May (14th) on the Sapphire so we shall find out. I hear the worst is sailing north of SFO, where all the currents "meet." I don't generally get seasick but I may just take some medicine before we set sail just to be sure I don't turn green. :D

Katherine

We're doing the 'Millenium' May 3 - 13.....San Diego to Vancouver, and, sorry Gingee, I'm one of the "crazee's" hoping for some weather....:p

The NOAA's forecast for May is an extension of the La Nina conditions that have plagued NA for the entire winter/early spring. Supposed to remain cooler than normal, with good chance of above average precipitation. Regardless of forecast though, the ocean environment north of Ca is generally quite cool, so wouldn't worry about taking the bikini.....

Oh that makes sense.

Anybody have decent weather?

We did this sailing last May, San Diego to Vancouver and most the time the seas were calm, they became a little choppy from San Francisco north, but nothing that one couldn't deal with.

This past January we were on a ship from Los Angeles to South America and once we crossed over the equator, the seas became noticeably rough.

We're booked on the Celebrity ship departing San Diego this May 3 for Vancouver and we're hopeful that we'll have repeat weather as last year. However, as we all know, weather can happen anywhere. We always travel prepared for whatever may come our way.

If it is a little choppy, that is fine. But if it is so bad the decks are closed, women are told not to wear high heels and the dancers can't perform, then I guess it must be really bad. Hope we don't get any of those.

Did a LA to Vancouver 7-day coastal last May. The weather in LA and Santa Barbara was beautiful. The seas weren't bad from LA to San Fran. In San Fran it rained for the majority of the day...but still a great city to visit. The day at sea from San Fran to Astoria was quite rough with near gail force winds. I hadn't experienced rough seas before and it did put a damper on my day and limited the activities that we did. The rest of the trip was great, very comfortable weather and the seas cooperated.:p

Hi:) I am on the same cruise as the OP (hi Gingee:D) and I can't

wait! We have an overnight stay in San Francisco! Wooohoo! I LOVE

that city:D We actually sail 4 weeks from Saturday!

I am bringing layers....I realize the Pacific Coast can have a chill in

the air but that is ok with me;) I pack accordingly and I always have

great cruises.

I remember Mark Twain's quote...."The coldest winter I ever spent was

a Summer in San Francisco".....gotta love it.

I am thinking about one of the coastal cruises in May too. I took my first cruise around 20 years ago, and the seas were so rough between San Pedro and San Francisco! I think my husband would love it, and I wouldn't!

Where are you seeing the wave forecast?

I can't tell you how the seas will be, but in San Diego we have what is called May Gray and June Gloom. Foggy and overcast in the morning, but burns off between noon and 2PM. Today however we were in the 80s.

If it is a little choppy, that is fine. But if it is so bad the decks are closed, women are told not to wear high heels and the dancers can't perform, then I guess it must be really bad. Hope we don't get any of those.

I agree. I am not concerned about gray skies, it's extremely rough seas that get to me. I am still looking into it.

Kathy - are you looking at going this May or next May with the AZ Cruisers?????:D

Hi, Ginny,

I am looking at a short (4 day) coastal cruise this year. I really want to go somewhere, but because of a family illness, we can't be gone long.

gingee....there is REALLY very little to be scared about on these boats...most have automatic stabilizers that do an excellent job of keeping them still in rough seas, and even if they don't have them, their size alone allows them to handle anything that Mother Nature throws at them. They may move around a bit, but that is to be expected, and, is what boats are meant to do. I fished commercially along the entire B.C. coast for over 30 years, in boats much, much smaller than these cruise ships, and there were many a night when they would pass me, quite noiselessly, when I REALLY wished that I was on board them, instead of tossing and lurching about in the inky, cool, darkness looking for shelter......LOLOL

That was reassuring to hear. The other cruise to Vancouver was my first. Since I was a single traveling solo, I was assigned to share a room. We were in the very front of the ship. Needless to say we felt the current much more than those in the middle.

Archived