Indochine Illuminations: On board reports

WesW

Hi Wes: So happy your travels were safe and you and Ida are onboard and enjoying your cruise. This is an itinerary we want to take, so really appreciate your posts. We just got back home, so we're in the post-cruise doldrums and your comments make us feel like we're onboard. Smooth sailing.

J&K

Wes, such a pleasure to read your posts, as I am homesick for the Voyager having just left her a week or so ago, and have done this itinerary. In Halong Bay, I did the junk cruise, what great photo ops with all the monoliths! Hope you enjoy your paddling!

We had drinks in the observation lounge with Karen and Wayne last night and then we all went to Compass Rose for dnner. Karen, Wayne, Ida had the Veal Rack and I had the Beef Tournedos. We paired our main course with a Robust CAB...sorry do not remember the vintage. Ida and I enjoyed the dance class yesterday (Cha Cha) with Dieter and Ilsie (there were 26 folks) nice turnout--very well done class. Ida and I had a nice chat over coffe in the coffee corner (post dance class) with Dieter (native of Germany) as we shared our decade of living in Germany experiences with Dieter

Eugene, mentioned to the GM, Michael Coglan that you enjoyed Stephanie (Michael's wife) and his performance during the Sydney to Beijing leg--he mentioned immediately,"Oh the Susskinds." Tonight, Ida and I received an invitation to have dinner with Michael tomorrow night--we look forward to it.

Hi Miriam, John & kathy, Rachel, Olivia, Maria, and Paula....it's been a while but the internet connection has been problematic. Finally, tonight (Fri at 11:30pm) good to go. Yesterday's enrichment lectures by Sandra Brown and Morton Dean were two of the best we've heard. Sandra is a boundless fountain of intellectual rich information, especially on the history of Indochina. I absolutely enjoyed Morton Deans wonderful presentation of the Vietnam war...he truly and sincerely expressed admiration for the fighting men and women of this war (he showed clips (early 70's) of his personal (where he was lead reporter for CBS)newsstories of the war. He then related how he kept in touch with the parents (today) of the Vietnam Veterans he profiled 40 years ago...he truly exudes passion for our Veterans--an wonderfully uplifting enrichment lecture.

Sidenote, this voyage is poplulated with many Vietnam Veterans returning to "Nam" for their first time since the early seventies....heartwarming to hear their

stories and joyful to know this Voyager cruise is making a reunion possible so these Vets get the opportunity to show their wives where they served.

We sailed into Halong Bay this morning. Was out jogging at 4:45am and as the morning light (about 45 min later) revealed the enormous rock "iconic" formations that are Halong bay's signature, it was truly surreal. We docked about 8:30 am. We left on our Kayaking Halong Bay excursion at 8:30 am...only 5 min wait in the theater for our bus--painless. Interesting observation is the sea is a different color here in the South China Sea vs Atlantic (green tint (maybe more salt) the blueish tint for Atlantic)...thus, the voyager pool water has greenish tint to it--but the temps are very comfortable for lap swimming at 6:45am, or 6;45 pm.

To put this excursion in perspective, we have spent two weeks sailing in French Polynesia--a nine out of ten....Halong Bay is a ten out ot ten..the most visually stunning sail- in (even during a misty/hazy morning) and excursion we have experienced on any cruise cruise since 2004. We spent two hours kayaking (rumps are sore) but the visual delights endless..will post pix on our Facebook page in ten days for those interested.

On the excursion today we met another CC'r, (Linda, aka, travel2Learn) we enjoyed lunch with Linda in La Veranda at the end of our excursion (about 1:45pm) Tonight we enjoyed before dinner drinks with another kayaking excursion buddy, Dick and his wife Nancy (Melissa had made our blue cheese stuffed olives for our martini's)...we then left for Compass Rose as they were serving Beef Wellington. Very well done (medium) paired with a nice California Zinfandel. We then enjoyed an entertaining showtime show the comedy impressionist, Ken Block. Tomorrow night is Cirque Voyager--we saw this last NOvember-- a truly magnificent production show.

Well the jet leg monster is almost slayed..but slowly creeping in...time to say Goodnight or Good morning.

Wonderful narrative, Wes.

One month and a couple of days since we were at Halong so I relive the memories with you.

I dont have a Regent cruise booked for a while and am feeling quite homesick for the spoiling.

Miriam

Hi J&K, Rachel, Olivia, Paula, Elsie, Susan & Jeff, Miriam, all.

First, thanks to John and Kathy for their wonderful Seabourn CC thread on board reports last month while they were on the Sojourn (these veteran Regent sailors loved the Sojourn and their on board reporting reflected their passion) Do know Orpy/Tom and Barbara are now brimming with excitement for the Sojourn voyage next month. Also, thanks for your cruise well wishes too. Except for the first 45 min out of Hong Kong, sailing has been wonderfully smooth...this area of the So China Sea has been/is lake- like for the last 48+ hours. (absolutely no sloshing of pool water)

Rached speaking of FlyerTalk, post as ColonelWes...spend my time on miles & points, AA, Delta, Cathay Pacific, Community and AMX threads.

Olivia, thanks for your kind words too...yesterday's kayaking in Halong Bay was a blast, a visual feast for the brain, but (as mentioned briefly above--a pain in the rump (after two hours sitting in the Kayak--esp with Admiral Ida giving me precise commands).

Thanks also for the cruise well wishes Jeff/Susan. Melissa is taking good care of us in the observation lounge (she made enough bc stuffed olives for st up martinis for the rest of the cruise--thanks Jeff for introducing this tasty drink on last November's crossing.

Paula, Elsie, Miriam--so glad you are enjoying our Indochine Illumination posts.

Today's (seaday) highlights; enrichment lectures The Music of Vietnam and Thailand with Sandra Bowern. Followed by The World According to Mort, stories culled from a lifetime (morton dean, cbs news world correspondent) traveling the world as a correspondent Iran? Iraq? Vietnam? Cuba? Cambodia? Yemen? Somalia?---can't wait to hear this lecture. At noon we have a French Lunch (quiche anyone?) presented by Chef Reinmuller and his culinary team. Post lunch, we are again going to Social Dance Class with Dieter and Ilsa (very good, very patient). At 3:15 is another enrichment lecture, The Arts of Viet Nam with guest speaker Lewis Falb. We have dinner with the Voyager GM, Michael Coglan at 7:15pm in Compass Rose, then look forward to seeing Cirque Voyager again with Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers.

Ida and I are really enjoying many of the constantly smiling, effervescent Regent servers in La Veranda (Sylvester & Abigail (M'ds), Ley the wonderful Pasta pro, Mirjana, Frederick (super servers). Eggs benedict, blueberry pancakes, Belgian waffles, special lunches have been exceptionally tasty. Sylvester told me this morning that La Veranda was full by 8pm last night as the Vietnamese menu is wildly popular (they normally have 60-80 per night, they had 125 last night.

Only niggle to report so far is the pool light was not turned on last night at 6:45pm, so lap turns were difficult due to low visibility. Water temp in pool is deligtful--they have the heaters working just right.

To be continued, thanks for reading.

Wes and Ida,

Very much enjoying your step by step account of your cruise - sounds fantastic.

You do get up very early in the morning - how much exercise do you both do in a day? I enjoy a brisk hour walk most mornings, but if I knew I had a 2 hour kayak trip ahead, I would have slept in.

Wes have enjoyed your posts but didn't plan to respond on this board until VOILA !! today you mention my friend Lewis Falb. I'm sailing with these very distinguished and charming guest lecturers again in September on Silver Cloud-- give them my regards and don't believe a word they tell you about me;)

Hi J&K, Rachel, Olivia, Paula, Elsie, Susan & Jeff, Miriam, all.

First, thanks to John and Kathy for their wonderful Seabourn CC thread on board reports last month while they were on the Sojourn (these veteran Regent sailors loved the Sojourn and their on board reporting reflected their passion) Do know Orpy/Tom and Barbara are now brimming with excitement for the Sojourn voyage next month. Also, thanks for your cruise well wishes too. Except for the first 45 min out of Hong Kong, sailing has been wonderfully smooth...this area of the So China Sea has been/is lake- like for the last 48+ hours. (absolutely no sloshing of pool water)

Rached speaking of FlyerTalk, post as ColonelWes...spend my time on miles & points, AA, Delta, Cathay Pacific, Community and AMX threads.

Olivia, thanks for your kind words too...yesterday's kayaking in Halong Bay was a blast, a visual feast for the brain, but (as mentioned briefly above--a pain in the rump (after two hours sitting in the Kayak--esp with Admiral Ida giving me precise commands).

Thanks also for the cruise well wishes Jeff/Susan. Melissa is taking good care of us in the observation lounge (she made enough bc stuffed olives for st up martinis for the rest of the cruise--thanks Jeff for introducing this tasty drink on last November's crossing.

Paula, Elsie, Miriam--so glad you are enjoying our Indochine Illumination posts.

Today's (seaday) highlights; enrichment lectures The Music of Vietnam and Thailand with Sandra Bowern. Followed by The World According to Mort, stories culled from a lifetime (morton dean, cbs news world correspondent) traveling the world as a correspondent Iran? Iraq? Vietnam? Cuba? Cambodia? Yemen? Somalia?---can't wait to hear this lecture. At noon we have a French Lunch (quiche anyone?) presented by Chef Reinmuller and his culinary team. Post lunch, we are again going to Social Dance Class with Dieter and Ilsa (very good, very patient). At 3:15 is another enrichment lecture, The Arts of Viet Nam with guest speaker Lewis Falb. We have dinner with the Voyager GM, Michael Coglan at 7:15pm in Compass Rose, then look forward to seeing Cirque Voyager again with Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers.

Ida and I are really enjoying many of the constantly smiling, effervescent Regent servers in La Veranda (Sylvester & Abigail (M'ds), Ley the wonderful Pasta pro, Mirjana, Frederick (super servers). Eggs benedict, blueberry pancakes, Belgian waffles, special lunches have been exceptionally tasty. Sylvester told me this morning that La Veranda was full by 8pm last night as the Vietnamese menu is wildly popular (they normally have 60-80 per night, they had 125 last night.

Only niggle to report so far is the pool light was not turned on last night at 6:45pm, so lap turns were difficult due to low visibility. Water temp in pool is deligtful--they have the heaters working just right.

To be continued, thanks for reading.

Wes

I told you that Halong Bay was not to be missed !

When you mentioned some of your fellow cruisers returning to Vietnam it brought back our cruise . My wife Christina first husband was a Navy pilot and was lost on a mission off the coast. I wrote a note to the captain giving the position and asked if he could tell us when we would be the closest to the location. He responded with a very nice letter and a chart showing the ships position and time we would be there. We put some flowers in the water of the stern.

Hope there will be some in the group that will still be on board when we join the ship in Bangkok! We leave Honolulu on April 6.

John & Christina

Hi Grapejuice, Mary Ann, John & Christina, all:

Grapejuice, Ida does one work out a day about an hour, I get a 2fer in (am/pm) early/late when most cruisers are still asleep or dressing for dinner--better to swim laps then. Do over 150 min of exercise daily (jogging (75 min), speed walking (25 min), lift weights (2x week) 30 min, lap swimming (25 min), and do at least 30 min on the elliptical daily.

Mary Ann, nice to see you posting here :), will absolutely pass your very warm greetings along to Lewis (he and his partner were with us on our Kayaking excursion--they passed on the kayaking and stayed on the junk board.

John & Christina--yes Halong Bay is as others have written and you wonderfully intimated an eighth wonder of the world. Thanks for sharing your very personal and heartwarming story of Christina's first husband's ultimate sacrificie--sincere thanks for his service.

Dinner last night with Michael Coglan was fun, and entertaining as Michael regaled Ida and I, one other couple, and a special lady guest of Michaels with this experiences on ten different cruise ships (10 years with Silversea, MA...e.g. he told us the Whisper was going to be named the Mirage until the LV Hotel threatened legal proceedings. Eugene, he appreciated your very kind comments about Stephanie and her exceptional soprano talent. Michael also confirmed Appollo, PCH will immediately focus on a new build for Regent once the Riviera (Oceania's next new ship is launched in April). We enjoyed delicious seafood appetizers (crab legs) paired with a delicious chard (Jordan), then most of us (Michael had the Duck L'orange) had Asian steak and Michael paired this course with an exquiste Amarone (full bodied, chewy, hints of chocolate, blackberry)

Off for morning workout (5:15)...next up (8am) will be our Da Nang excursion (China Beach)

Thanks for reading, to be continued.

Col Wes, your exercise program is quite impressive, makes mine pale in comparison. The kayaking sounds really great. We did a week long kayaking trip in Glacier Bay several years ago that was just amazing, but since that is not my usual form of exercise, was really sore the first few days. Hope to visit Vietnam sometime. My husband lost several friends there.

The food sounds outstanding. Keep us posted.

Hi Rachel, Elsie, Maria, all; thanks again for the words or encouragement on our posts and nice words in private messages I have rcvd. A pleasure to give back to the Regent board as many other CCr's led the way during the last year, with their robust on board reports.

Forgot to mention Cirque voyager last night's show, was just as we remembered last November--a visual delight.

A few more joggers, walkers were out this morning enjoying the sunny weather (temps mid 70s today & humid). The GM was also out for his morning 2-3 miles--Michael (when prompted) did share--as has been earlier reported here on the Regent board--that the new build is planned for 800 pax and will have six restaurants.

Rachel thanks for your exercise complement--the joy from exercise--as your son probably also knows is--mostly learned form the fitness culture in the military. As well as the desire to enjoy a healthy lifestyle and the delicious Voyager cuisine and adult beverages on board.

We also turned in our mid course cruise comment card--we exclusively took the time to recognize the above & beyond Regent crew we have observed; Ricardo & Bosun (pool cleaning), Deck Washing crew (esp Alvin, Fernando), Carolina in Destination Services, Melissa (Obsvn Lounge bartender), LV M'd's (Sylvester & Abigail), LV servers Mirjana, Ley (pasta pro) compass Rose sommelier Darko and exceptional CR service by Mary Ann. Did give a frown for the computer turning off the sauna/steam room at 6pm (spa closes at 9pm). Am betting Michael will have this fixed by tonight.

We had another outstanding excursion to Da Nang/China beach today; visits to Cham Museum, pedicycle ride, visit to a local market, visit to Marble Mountain and ending with a visit to the Sandy Beach resort at China Beach. We ended our tour with a complementary iced cold local Vietnamese beer that hit the spot. Ida and I waded in the waters (somewhat cool) at China Beach and enjoyed the panorama of multiple waves coming to shore. Destinations did an excellent job organizing the tour process...no long lines, minimal wait, exceptional organization..even with the added step of having to have our Vietnamese Landing Card stamped before we left the ship area.

During the excursion we met a very nice couple from Chile tho they have lived in Cincinnati for the last three decades. George has been on every Regent World Cruise since WC's began (almost 900 nites on Regent)...politely asked George what he thought the difference was since Apollo took over, he told me, "he did not notice much of a difference--same outstanding cuisine---they enjoy the included excursions as well." He did express disappointment that there will be no more Regent WC's. George turned us on to the delicious smoothies now available on the pool deck. Also, enjoyed meeting a few other Veterans on this excursion--taking advantage of this wonderful itinerary. Maritn, a navy flag officer with 36 years service who also mentioned there is a retired three star (vice admiral) in their group as well.

For College Basketball fans, Regent showed the final four at 5 am and 7:45 am today.

We plan to dine in La Veranda tonight and enjoy the French/Vietnamese based menu. Showtime tonight is Stand-up comedian Jack Mayberry and featuring singer Michael Hughes.

Hi Joanna, Kathy, Maria, all; glad you are enjoying our indochine reports--thanks for your kind words. Maria, this voyage is spectacular (ship, pax, crew, itinerary, pre cruise) can't remember our flights--but did get the dreaded disembarcation paperwork yesterday...not looking forward to two overnights (Bangkok, then HK) and four flights

home, altho the long haul (HK to Toronto) will be relatively painless on Cathay Pacific.

We enjoyed a wonderful evening last night on board. Had drinks in the obsvn lounge before dinnner where we met Doug and Janine (CCr's from Tasmania). Just pure joy in the initial moments you finally meet a CC couple you have shared digits with. I soon regreted (kidding) having drinks with Janine as she proudly showed Ida her 30th wedding anniversay gift from Doug he bought her last Wednesday in Hong Kong. A stunning white gold/diamond (was blinded by the bling :) anniversary band--Kudos to Doug for expressing his love for Janine so wonderfully. Doug was surpised he could enjoy a free sauna and steam bath on board--will show him the common spa area today. We then decided to go to CR for dinner. We all had Shrimp Tempura and an Asian Salad to start with, followed by mouth watering slow roasted spare ribs (I doubled down and also had the Veal oscar). White wine for first two courses was a Gavi, followed by Cline Cashmere for the beef dish.

Today's highlights; enrichment lectures a.m. (Saigon, Past and Present by Sandra Bowern; On the Campaign Trail by Morton Dean (colorful, incisive and humorous behind the scene stories about pol campaigns. Social Dance class with Dieter and Ilsa. Fellow Guest presentation (World Poker Champion Barry Schulman) presents Major League Poker. Wine tasting with head sommelier Darko--sample wines from around the world and one more enrichment lecture by Lewis Falb, "Angkor Wat-The Crowning Glory of Angkor"

Evening entertainment (showtime) is stand up Comedian Ken Block (we really enjoy Ken)

Dusababy (Mary Ann) passed your warm regards on to Lewis last night in the Observation Lounge--bright (1000 WATT) smiles erupted for Lewis and his partner and they mentioned they will be with you on the Whisper in September. Can't share (at least on very public CC) the Mary Ann stories they shared :)

I have enjoyed every word your reporting of the Indochine cruise, Wes, and indeed it is one of the only things which gets Barbara up to look at your posts on the computer, so we are almost as unhappy as you are that your cruise is coming to an end. You are clearly a man of pleaant disposition, enjoying the good life and appreciating the efforts of others.

Only three weeks before our Sojourn cruise, but, not having free internet, I doubt if I will be writing every day. Though I will try to do a resume of the Seabourn experience when we return. Then you will have the Quest to look forward to.

Wes and Ida - thank you for bringing back a lot of memories. I did a similar cruise in 2008 on the Mariner starting in Hong Kong but continuing down the west coast of Australia to Sydney. Reading your comments was like being there again. Have a safe trip home. Elsie

Hi Olivia, Joanna, Tom/Barbara, Elsie, all;

Olivia we passed your warm regards along to Anatoli, who smiled brightly and said oh, "Olivia your last name" and then said my name Colonel last name (and I had never been introduced to Anatoli). Still looking for Navin...will let u know. Joanna, will see George (he is probably watching the final four) and Lilly this morning before we go off on our excursions in Saigon and will pass Tony and your fond regards too.

Tom/Barbara, you're way to generouse in your kind words--thank you. can't wait to hear about Barbara and your Sojourn journey.

Elsie, so glad you're reliving your indochine voyager...we are all fortunate to do this itinerary as regent will not offer next year

Ida and I had a wonderful before dinner drinks session in the Obsv Loung last night with Maryella (we just met her--also WC segment CCr.) Kudos to Maryella for blazing a trail on this voyage, as her husband had to cancel a few days prior due to biz commitments.

Wonderful sailin to Saigon in the lowlands at 5am this morning...Voyager is huge compared to the very tiny fishing boats...sunrise--spectacular.

Off in ten minutes to cu chi tunnels....

we have Local Folkloric entertainment direct from Ho Chi Minn City tonight in the constellation theater for showtime.

thanks for reading, to be continued

I just searched the rest of this thread for "Navin", and this is the only mention I've seen.

I know there's more than one Navin in the world, but when I disembarked Mariner on 3/23 in FLL I left one magnificent Navin on board. I always saw him in LV; for breakfast he was the Omelet Guy (starboard), and at lunch he manned the carving station, for the entire 3 weeks of my trip.

I put his name down on the comment card. Great sense of humor, excellent memory, and of course his omelet-making skills were absolutely superior. One of the most sparkling faces on board.

Oh dear friend, I've finally gotten here to CC to read about your wonderful journey and I am so pleased to "see" this beautiful part of the world once again through your eyes. Obviously, I am reminded fondly of our extensive land trip of a couple of years ago.

I just knew you would love it, and your descriptions do poetic justice. I'm only disappointed that you're not getting to Hanoi. Ah, but another time, perhaps.

As well, hearing how well Regent is pleasing you with food, wine, and the excursions makes me look forward with great anticipation to our first Regent voyage in August.

Thank you for sharing. Continue celebrating your good fortune, your love for travel, peoples and cultures, and most importantly, stay safe and healthy!

Archived