An OCD review of Golden/Hawaii-Pictures!!

hermajestylanie

:rolleyes: The Girl From Yorba Linda Goes Cruising.

Tall and tan

And young and lovely

The girl...

Oh, wait..

That was, 'The Girl From Ipanema'

I'm sorry, I got carried away.

Lanie, your cruise review was absolutely the best I have ever read!

You are a gifted writer who takes us all along on your terrific

cruise adventures and shore excursions. I feel as though I know

you and 'husband', who likes to be the center of attentions. LOL.

You and husband make a lovely couple! I can understand that you

both entertain your dinner table companions as well as those who

are with you at trivia. Because you entertain all who of us read this review.

Your pictures enhance the whole cruise experience. You have both

had some marvelous meals and those desert photos make me hungry.

However, I have to admit that I'm a little sad knowing that you are

almost finished with your cruise review. It has been one of the

highlights of my day for the past several days.

I hope you are prepared for those inevitable cruise withdrawals

once you return home to your usual lifestyle. The best cure is to

book another cruise as soon as posible.

Now, back to reading the rest of your wonderful review.

I must compliment you' date=' Lanie, on your food choices. I am a WeightWatchers Lifetime member, but have gotten away from the plan. Just yesterday, I went back bc I have gone 6# over my goal weight and I have an important wedding to go to in May 2011. I see you eat high-fiber and low fat. I also like how you make allowances for sweet deserts since you are cruising. LOL

I'm a die-hard RCI cheerleader and just couldn't imagine what everyone raves about with the other lines. After looking at your pic and reading your review, I now know why!! Wow.

Also, the DH and I are booked on POA with NCL for a Dec Hawaii cruise. It is sooo POC loaded. I used to think, why would anyone want that many sea days when going to HI. Now I know. If ever I get to go to HI again, I'll go with a line that has more sea days just to relax some and not get worn out. Thanks for taking the time to write the review. Just love your foodie pics.[/quote']

Thanks!

I try to eat well, but lately have fallen off the wagon too! I didn't do so bad on the cruise, but I have been totally binge eating since getting back. For example, I made these little goodies:

That's right. It is an oreo cooked baked inside a chocolate chip cookie. A double stuffed oreo. Bad self. Bad. But now I have a request from the PD to make some for the department. So I have to make more. Right? And taste them.

6 is not too bad at all, I am sure you will have that off in no time and look fab for the wedding! And your upcoming cruise! I know many people fly over to Hawaii to cruise form there because it is more port intensive, and I really like getting off for the ports too. But, yes, the sea days are really relaxing! I found it a bit hard on this cruise that the ports were all right in a row! it was a bit exhausting, i like to have sea day breaks in between if I can get them, but this worked out well with the sea days before and after so we could relax. It just depends what you are going for!

Have a great time on your cruise!!

Lanie thought you might like to follow along with this thread: It is a world cruise, I thought it would be fun to follow along. It is on Holland but it would be exciting to read: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327543

Ooohh! That one looks fun! I know what is going to be in my dreams for the next week! Thanks for the link.

Tall and tan

And young and lovely

The girl...

Oh, wait..

Tall and tan

And young and lovely

The girl...

Oh, wait..

Thank you! I have been much entertained by the reviews I have read on this forum, I wanted to give back! There are some pretty good ones going on right now. A very fun one over in Carnival "B2B on the Dream," the writer is a hoot!

Yes, the withdrawals are still present! I almost impulsivley booked a transatlantic for May because it was soooo cheap! But airfare.... I have heard that the coastals and the little 3 or 4 days out of LA are nice to tide one over and i noticed you have a couple coastals scheduled in your signature. Have a blast!

Whoop! Forgot the picture I was going to post above. It is not cruise related, but it is so good I thought it needed to be posted. Ah, still dreaming of those delicious Princess cookies. They were so nice, just to walk by the the IC and grab some. Mmmm.

6509021.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAICVZTCX4LOIOAEXA&Expires=1302910404&Signature=AQW7fXKcBC2w23cLNU%2B0QAMJMeY%3D

I saw the oreo cookie pic yesterday but don't see it now. Did you remove it? Yes it was quite blurry.

I was mistaken about the weight. I'm 7.2# overgoal. That poundage is smack at my waist, giving me that mom-of-two-sons look. UGH. Someone recently did me a big favor and sent me a pic of myself sitting in a lawn chair, and OMG I said. Back to WW, especially for the MOG dress and wedding pic coming up end of May. I'd rather walk in reality than deception.

At the early onset of my weight loss journey (2008), we took a cruise. I followed my plan to the tee, went to the gym each morning like you, took the stairs, etc and lost 2# by end of cruise. Amazing!! On the next cruise, I gained bc I was too tired to get up for gym, had 4-5 slices of bacon each morning, etc. So, I gained 2#. LOL. There are no cruises in my horizon until Sep 2011 and then Dec 2011.

I like a daily challenge that works towards a goal. IMO, the closer you get to the "goal" the harder and slower it is to loose weight.!!! I'm hungry all the time, though I eat a pretty good calorie intake, it is just low-fat and all that high-fiber passes thru quickly. So self-discipline.

I have a pretty good idea of our Hawaii excursions, just need to finalize it and make flights. I'm waiting until after May to book flights. You are right about cheap cruise tickets are off-balanced by high-priced plane tickets. I have a next-cruise credit to go to Panama, but I dunno. Might not go bc of flights.

I don't know how I found myself on Princess board. Must have clicked on it by mystake. When I saw your review, I began reading. I will check out that review you mentioned B2B on the Dream. If it is funny, then I want to chuckle icon11.gif, especially after paying my 2010 taxes. icon9.gif Have a great day decompressing.

Forgot to say, twice now, that I'm a survivor of a POC intensive New England/Canada tour. OMG. Both Dh and I were exhausted each day. A lot of those POC had very, very steep hills once you got off ship and had to walk, near vertical IMO, up the hills to get to their centers of town. Whew!! DH and I are in reasonable cardio shape, but found ourselves worn out each day. Don't know if that was bc we were in On-cruise mode or being in late 50s is catching up with us!!!! At any rate, an Hawaiin intensive POC is daunting to us, but it is a bucket-list thing too. LOL.

I plan to take a cardboard box sign that says: Will cruise for food. and have my pic snapped in the buffet area. Saw that on the CC board. It makes a funny pic.

Question:

Did you notice if the sanctuary was full or not? Thank you

Sorry, I didn't go in there at all. Just went by it once as I was looking for shuffleboard... it didn't look crowded even though it was nice and sunny.

Anyone else have experience with April cruising from LA to Hawaii ? A bit nervous about the rough seas

It is mainly just the first couple of days. I researched this on these boards and that is basically what everyone says- the first couple are rough, but it gets better. Husband tends to get just a little seasick and he was fine after the first day without any drugs. But there were a lot of people wearing the little patches the entire trip.

Anyone else have experience with April cruising from LA to Hawaii ? A bit nervous about the rough seas

It's a trans Pacific.......and we have done this 8 different times, and have never found the ocean to be very rough. Of the 8.......I would say the 6 trips were very smooth........and 2 were with swells, but no storms.

Is this your first trans ocean experience?? If so, let your Doctor know, and have him perscribe the patch. It's great, however, it also creates drymouth.

How many cruises have been on? I would love to help you, as you most probably are on our cruise........which is the last of the season.......next week.

Rick

Just found your review last night. Have only made it to page 6, but am loving your descriptions and your pics. I also take pictures of food, but forget to take a pic of the menu so I look at the pics and can't remember what I ate:D

We were planning to take a land trip to Hawaii, but air fair has gone up tremendously so I started checking out cruises, and found your review. Thanks so much for all the time you have put into it.:D:D

Just found your review last night. Have only made it to page 6, but am loving your descriptions and your pics. I also take pictures of food, but forget to take a pic of the menu so I look at the pics and can't remember what I ate:D

We were planning to take a land trip to Hawaii, but air fair has gone up tremendously so I started checking out cruises, and found your review. Thanks so much for all the time you have put into it.:D:D

No problem- it was fun to do! I always forget what the dishes are called, so taking a pic of the menu is the first thing I do. Sometimes I forget to take a picture of the food becasue I am so excited when it gets there!

Isn't airfare crazy? We have been sticking to CA ports so we can drive to them, it really makes cruising economical. Good luck on planning your vacation and have a great time!

• 1 month later...

Wow this was a great thread, loved the pictures and stories, although (as stated above) I feel like I've put on 10 lbs just reading. I'm going on my first cruise out of SFO in August (10 day Alaskan on Sea Princess - I agree with other poster can you do a quick trip and write up another great review about Sea Princess:D). I'm going to relax and get away from it all, just hope to have half as much fun as you and your husband. BTW, was your husband sporting a Weimaraner tshirt in some of the photos? Have owned the breed for 13 years now, love them.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow this was a great thread, loved the pictures and stories, although (as stated above) I feel like I've put on 10 lbs just reading. I'm going on my first cruise out of SFO in August (10 day Alaskan on Sea Princess - I agree with other poster can you do a quick trip and write up another great review about Sea Princess:D). I'm going to relax and get away from it all, just hope to have half as much fun as you and your husband. BTW, was your husband sporting a Weimaraner tshirt in some of the photos? Have owned the breed for 13 years now, love them.

Ohh, SFO to Alaska! Very nice. Have a ton of fun! Yes, that was a Weim shirt (I got it fo rhis birthday). We have a 4 year old Weim, and a 4 year old Yorkie too! The little one (he is 5 lbs.) sleeps on her back, curled in a ball (she is 75 lbs.). I have found that people wither love the Weims or hate them. They certainly are high energy. Hope your doggies don't miss you too much while you are gone. Husband says he wishes we were allowed to being dogs on the ship, but I think that would be awful!

AMAZING review! Wow you guys totally remind me of my fiance and I and I am completely OCD about taking photos of everything and documenting our trip - I wrote a huge blog about our travels on our last cruise. You should totally get one of those photo books made - it is also a good way to relive your cruise by sorting out how the photo book will look and the positioning of the photos!

It looks like you had an amazing time and it makes me want to take a cruise to Hawaii now!!!! (not as though I would need much convincing to begin with LOL!)

Thanks Soooo Much for taking the time and making this review So AWESOME.....Started reading it earlier Today and Just Finished....:D

Were doing this same cruise on the Golden on 11/9/2011 and cant wait...

From Reading your post and looking at the photos I feel as if I was already on the cruise....:)

We try and go on 2 Cruises each year and this will be our first Hawaiian one...

Did Alaska last year and that was Truly Amazing.....

Thanks Again:):):)

What a wonderful descriptive review! I love those.

Thank you for all your time and effort. Mahalo!

My sister and I went on this cruise on the Golden for my retirement cruise... we loved it!

She had never flown before, seen the ocean, nor been on a cruise.

I flew us first class to LAX then a mini suite on the Golden for 14 days.

She is now terribly spoiled, and is not sure she can fly coach (lol) or do a short seven day cruise (lol)

We had such a wonderful time on this LA to Hawaii cruise. I go to Hawaii every year for a land vacation, and loved this cruise. Now she wants to go back and spend more time on the islands after getting just a taste of them on the cruise.

We highly recommend this cruise....and on the Golden!

AMAZING review! Wow you guys totally remind me of my fiance and I and I am completely OCD about taking photos of everything and documenting our trip - I wrote a huge blog about our travels on our last cruise. You should totally get one of those photo books made - it is also a good way to relive your cruise by sorting out how the photo book will look and the positioning of the photos!

It looks like you had an amazing time and it makes me want to take a cruise to Hawaii now!!!! (not as though I would need much convincing to begin with LOL!)

Wow! I just checked out your blog and it is fantastic! That is a great way to document your vacations. Next up Hawaii! Right?

We totally did one of those photo books- they really turn out great and are a fun project to hold on to that last vacation!

TY so much for a super review and I loved the pics made it 100x better (glad you went with the larger ones:))! While we are not going to Hawaii we will be on Golden in AK in just 2 months and it was wonderful looking at the ship, foods, menus and everything else. Hawaii looked so beautiful too, it is also on my to-do list. I am sure that took some time to do and like everyone else I really am grateful for those that take the time to do these, especially detailed like yours which was way above the call of duty! So ty and I am glad you enjoyed your trip it looked fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks! We really liked it too. We joke that the embarkation photo is always our favorite because at that point in time we are both skinny and happy (super excited about the cruise starting and haven't gotten in little tiffs from being together 24/7 and pre- stuffing ourselves).

I'm still rolling on the floor laughing while I type. Ain't it the truth!!!:D