Help...

kelkel2

So my husband and I are leaving for our cruise tomorrow and we checked in online for our flight. Well go figure, delta changed our reservation on one of our flights. I have an assigned seat and my husband has a seat request to be assigned at the gate. Delta says he guaranteed a seat on the flight, but they don't know what seat he will be in. They apologized and said they couldnt do anything until we were at the gate.

My problem is I'm scared to death of flying and am very uncomfortable sitting next to someone other than my husband because I get really scared during take off and landing.

What are the chances we can get seats together? How do I go about doing this?

go a bit earlier than the minimum time before the flight leaves and tell the person at the check in your issues. If they don't do anything, go to the desk at the gate and explain again.

I've had great luck having seats changed when needed by just explaining my issue calmly and rationally. The staff seem to appreciate the calm and rational approach!

Otherwise there's always gravol...;)

Enjoy your trip!

So my husband and I are leaving for our cruise tomorrow and we checked in online for our flight. Well go figure, delta changed our reservation on one of our flights. I have an assigned seat and my husband has a seat request to be assigned at the gate. Delta says he guaranteed a seat on the flight, but they don't know what seat he will be in. They apologized and said they couldnt do anything until we were at the gate.

My problem is I'm scared to death of flying and am very uncomfortable sitting next to someone other than my husband because I get really scared during take off and landing.

If, for some reason they are not able to assign your husband a seat next to you, once you are on the plane you can always ask the person sitting next to you or have your husband ask the person sitting next to him if they'd be willing to switch seats. I've seen people do this many times to be near family. If you or your husband have an aisle or window seat, then I'd think it would be easier to find someone to take one of your seats.

Good luck...and remember, you are so much safer in a plane than in a car :)

If, for some reason they are not able to assign your husband a seat next to you, once you are on the plane you can always ask the person sitting next to you or have your husband ask the person sitting next to him if they'd be willing to switch seats. I've seen people do this many times to be near family. If you or your husband have an aisle or window seat, then I'd think it would be easier to find someone to take one of your seats.

Good luck...and remember, you are so much safer in a plane than in a car :)

So the flight it is for is our connecting flight. Can we do this at our original airport or do I have to wait until we are in ATL?

I had a similar problem several years ago with Air Canada -- they went so far as to say I couldn't get on the same flight as my husband for the second leg of our flight -- they put me on standby and I was to deal with the staff at the gate in Toronto where we were connecting.

Our air was booked through Princess so I informed them that I would be on the flight if I had to sit up with the Captain (pre 911), my seat had been paid for months ago by Princess and it was Air Canada's problem if they overbooked! They ended up announcing that anyone wishing to give up their seat would get rewarded and I eventually got a seat on the plane -- surprise! I did get to sit with my husband.

We try to avoid Air Canada whenever possible -- we've had such terrible experiences with them.

Good luck -- hope you are able to get seated with your husband.

Sounds like you caught an equipment swap. You don't mention flights, airports or aircraft, so this will be general. Also, whether you are talking about your first segment or your connection affects the answer.

Depending on the timing of your flights, seat assignments may or may not be available to the agent at check-in. You can ask there, but if they say that they are under "gate control", then you will have to deal with the gate agent FOR THAT FLIGHT. You will not be able to have the GA on your first flight reassign seats for the second one.

Your process should be:

1) Arrive a bit earlier and ask the ticket counter agent if you can be assigned together. My odds on that: <10%.

2) Gate agents generally arrive to work the gate 1 hour before departure. Sometimes longer if it's a larger aircraft (767 or 757-300), sometimes less if a E175 or CRJ. Get there as soon as you can so you are first in line. If your problem is on the first segment, this is the person who can or cannot solve it. Odds on solving: 75% if you get to the counter early in the process.

3) If the issue is with your connecting flight, head straight there upon arrival at your hub. Same rules on 1 hour before. Because of time issues, about a 60% chance of solving your issue.

In all cases, don't ask for window seats or aisle or front or back or anything other than being together. If the aircraft is in seat request mode, there aren't that many seats left open (mostly middles) so you need to be willing to take whatever you might. Remember...the agent is the person who can help you, so genuine kindness helps. Fake sincerity gets spotted a mile away.

Finally, if you don't get together, try to talk with a FA once you board. They have no authority to involuntarily change seats, but can try to persuade someone to make the change. And if someone volunteers, you can always thank them with an adult beverage once airborne.

Thank you for the info. We did call delta and they did say the equipment did get swapped. They also did say there are

About 2 rows in the back of the plane that are on gate control and that they could not access the except at the gate. The flight with the issue is on a Boeing 757. If everything goes right with our first flight, we will still only have about 55 minutes of a layover in atlanta.. Hopefully that will be enough time :/

We try to avoid Air Canada whenever possible -- we've had such terrible experiences with them.

Can't say I blame you. It's reached the point where they charge more in "Fuel Surcharge" than the fuel actually costs them

Don't take those seats in the back of a 757 if you only have 55 minutes in Atlanta. Even if you land on time it could take you a good 15-20 minutes to get off the plane. That's cutting your connection time down.

If you don't have a Delta frequent flyer number apply tonight. Flyers who show more than the average interest in an airline are often treated a teeeeeeensy bit better.

If all else fails hug your seat mate!!! Just keep reminding yourself you're going on a cruise. That should make you feel better.

Don't take those seats in the back of a 757 if you only have 55 minutes in Atlanta. Even if you land on time it could take you a good 15-20 minutes to get off the plane. That's cutting your connection time down.

I'll second that. A few minutes waiting to taxi or waiting for a gate, a possible change of terminals, and you'll be regretting those seats at the back of the plane that made you the last ones off the aircraft. By the time you get to your departure gate, there will likely be a line of people already waiting to talk to the GA. Take seats as close to the front of the aircraft as possible, and try to get the passenger next to your or your husband to switch once you're onboard.

Thanks to everyone for the responses! We made it to Atlanta and walked straight to the gate and asked if they could move us together. The attendant said he would try but the flight was sold out and he made no promises. We didn't care where we sat as it was the second flight of our trip and didn't have to connect again. We returned to the gate after eating lunch and he had fixed it! We had seats together. We were so happy that we asked for his name and called delta to tell them how wonderful he was. Plus, we are skymile members so I really hope that they take our complement seriously and reward him for his great service!

Moral of the story, don't give up, good service is still out there somewhere!

Archived