Early Saver Rate Pro or Cons

Looking into booking Carnival w/Early Saver Rate. Any suggestions? Pro or Cons? Also, if the price will drop would we be eligable for a new price?

Thanks!

Early Saver rates can get you a good price but they have a lot of restrictions on them. If you book one, be sure to read the small print and learn about as many of the restrictions as possible in advance before you book to avoid unwelcome surprises later.

For example, the cabin category we wanted was full when we booked so we paid a lot more to book a higher category cabin. Some time later, the category we originally wanted opened up and if they had let us switch, we could have saved a lot of money, but they do not allow you to downgrade with Early Saver.

If the prices drop, they will honor some types of price drops but not others. With some types of special rate categories it is hard to know in advance whether or not they will honor them because the wording is rather vague and you may get different answers from different people.

For example, the cabin category we wanted was full when we booked so we paid a lot more to book a higher category cabin. Some time later, the category we originally wanted opened up and if they had let us switch, we could have saved a lot of money, but they do not allow you to downgrade with Early Saver.

quote]

In essence if the price drop was good enough you could have paid the 50 pp penalty and rebooked at the lowers price, but they do not let you go to a lower cat room without penalty .

If you have done your research and know what you want, and you're not one who is likely to have to cancel more than once, Early Saver is the way to go. I've noticed many savings of $100pp by booking Early Saver rather than Fun Select. fleckle's example is a time when Early Saver might not have worked best, but those are not common. To qualify for price drops, you must keep an eye on all rates you qualify for, and it must be for your sailing, your category, your number of people in the cabin--total price of the cabin. Everyone qualifies for Early Saver & Fun Select, but also keep an eye on Past Guest, Senior, Resident rates, if you qualify for any. You can't really match to guarantees (rates where you don't pick your own room). If prices do drop, you must send in an online form, which is a pain. But if it all works out, you shouldn't pay any more than you would've paid had you booked with any other rate at any time from the time of booking until 2 days before you cruise. No other rate gives you that kind of protection. They only give price drops up until final payment. And if you never see a price drop under Early Saver, that means that you paid the lowest you could've possibly paid. No other rate would've given you that.

However, no name changes on Early Saver. So if someone cancels after final payment, the deposit (or maybe more) is gone. You can't pay $50 to put another name in their place. That can be a big issue for people who aren't sure if part of their party will get to go or not. If you take out insurance (either Carnival or from an independent 3rd party provider), and the cancellation is for a covered reason, you can be reimbursed the penalties.

If you have done your research and know what you want, and you're not one who is likely to have to cancel more than once, Early Saver is the way to go. I've noticed many savings of $100pp by booking Early Saver rather than Fun Select. fleckle's example is a time when Early Saver might not have worked best, but those are not common. To qualify for price drops, you must keep an eye on all rates you qualify for, and it must be for your sailing, your category, your number of people in the cabin--total price of the cabin. Everyone qualifies for Early Saver & Fun Select, but also keep an eye on Past Guest, Senior, Resident rates, if you qualify for any. You can't really match to guarantees (rates where you don't pick your own room). If prices do drop, you must send in an online form, which is a pain. But if it all works out, you shouldn't pay any more than you would've paid had you booked with any other rate at any time from the time of booking until 2 days before you cruise. No other rate gives you that kind of protection. They only give price drops up until final payment. And if you never see a price drop under Early Saver, that means that you paid the lowest you could've possibly paid. No other rate would've given you that.

However, no name changes on Early Saver. So if someone cancels after final payment, the deposit (or maybe more) is gone. You can't pay $50 to put another name in their place. That can be a big issue for people who aren't sure if part of their party will get to go or not. If you take out insurance (either Carnival or from an independent 3rd party provider), and the cancellation is for a covered reason, you can be reimbursed the penalties.

So if i book ES and notice a lower price under past guest,senior rate,etc ,i just sumbit the form??? Have always booked a guarantee. Prices look better for ES.

So if i book ES and notice a lower price under past guest,senior rate,etc ,i just sumbit the form??? Have always booked a guarantee. Prices look better for ES.

If you book ES and rates drop in areas where you qualify - Past Guest, Senior Rate, Military rate - then YES you can get the price drop. Just submit the online form.

If you book ES and rates drop in areas where you qualify - Past Guest, Senior Rate, Military rate - then YES you can get the price drop. Just submit the online form.

And i assume it would be easier to do your own booking,not use a TA? I would want every price drop & would hate to call my TA each time. And if it would be on a week-end i could miss the price drop.

And i assume it would be easier to do your own booking,not use a TA? I would want every price drop & would hate to call my TA each time. And if it would be on a week-end i could miss the price drop.

I would never book ES thru a TA. For those exact reasons.. I prefer being able to submit my own price drop forms, keep my screen shots to prove them ect. TA's can be tough to reach sometimes. Can be busy and untimely in submitting them as well. And the worst is TA's that charge a fee for making changes to the reservation or limit you to so many changes..This usually in order to preserve their commission.

IMO..:)

Archived