What to do in Civitavecchia? (NOT Rome!)

DevilsFan38

I just found these forums and so far everything I've read has been very helpful. I tried to search for this but didn't have any luck.

What to do for a port day in Civitavecchia if we don't want to go to Rome? Is there anything else to do, or other places nearby to go see? Both my friend and myself have been to Rome multiple times before so we'd rather not make the trek in to the city with thousands of other cruisers if there are other places to explore.

We're sailing on RCCL in early June if that makes any difference. We'll be in port from 7 to 7, so plenty of time. Thanks!

The Etruscan ruins in Tarquinia, very easy to get to using public transit (either train plus bus, or all bus). http://www.artetruria.it/en/routes/etruscan.htm

Ostia Antica (Roman ruins) near the airport in Fiumicino. Also reached by public transit (train), although not as easily (requires a change of trains at Roma Ostiense). http://www.ostia-antica.org/index.html

The artists' community at Calcata, with lots of studios and shops you can visit. You can read more about it here: http://www.calcata.info/enindex.html

This is actually a very nice town to walk around if you would like to spend a quiet there day.

Visit Forte Michelangelo and there is also a nearby Catholic Church to visit.

There is a very large local market that sells all sorts of fruit, vegetables, other food items and even clothes and housewares. It was nice to walk around there.

You can walk along the beach area from the port over to the train station.

The town continues to grow since we first visited there several years ago. There are lots of stores and cafes. Consider having lunch there as well.

Keith

Here's some information on Civitavecchia, if you decide to spend the day exploring there: http://www.port-of-rome.org/indexen_GB.php?module=loadInfo&carattere=p&siteid=0&idInfo=9&idMenuSel=2&idNetwork=1&idAttivita=2

The city web site has a fairly good map of Civitavecchia that highlights key sites - you can zoom in for detail. Unfortunately, it's only in Italian: http://www.geoplan.it/mappe-cartine/mappa-comune-civitavecchia-RM.htm

Edited by euro cruiser

I just found these forums and so far everything I've read has been very helpful. I tried to search for this but didn't have any luck.

What to do for a port day in Civitavecchia if we don't want to go to Rome? Is there anything else to do, or other places nearby to go see? Both my friend and myself have been to Rome multiple times before so we'd rather not make the trek in to the city with thousands of other cruisers if there are other places to explore.

We're sailing on RCCL in early June if that makes any difference. We'll be in port from 7 to 7, so plenty of time. Thanks!

A lot of the local tour companies also offer day trips/excursions to nearby places other than Rome. We used http://www.stefanorometours.com last year and had a great day in Orvieto and some surrounding areas.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll have to start reading up on them. We'd like to DIY in this port so hopefully we can find something that doesn't require private transport or a guide.

If anyone has more ideas, keep them coming! I know almost everyone flocks to Rome from this port so it may be hard to find other ideas.

There are a few car rental places in Civitavecchia - Hertz, Eurocar (I believe) and Sixt. There may be more, but I know that those are there. You could easily rent a car for the day and venture to Tarquinia or even further. We are actually doing this the day before we embark on our ship in October. Like you, we have been to Rome a few times and would like to see something different and avoid the busy city for the day. It doesn't really make sense for us to get a driver/do a tour for the day as by the time we get in from the airport, check into our hotel, etc., most of the morning will be gone. So, we've decided to rent a car for the day and explore. As of now it looks like we can get a car for a little under $100 -- not too bad for four of us.

I'll second Tarquinia as well, very easy to get to using public transportation, both the necropolis and museum were quite interesting (and the combined ticket for both was fairly inexpensive), and the town overall seemed quite nice.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll have to start reading up on them. We'd like to DIY in this port so hopefully we can find something that doesn't require private transport or a guide.

If anyone has more ideas, keep them coming! I know almost everyone flocks to Rome from this port so it may be hard to find other ideas.

I you decide on Tarquinia, look up cotral bus web page for times, every day but a sunday,

2.5e day ticket from local news seller bus stop opposite the church 200 yds from port entrance

I'll second Tarquinia as well, very easy to get to using public transportation, both the necropolis and museum were quite interesting (and the combined ticket for both was fairly inexpensive), and the town overall seemed quite nice.
We will be at Civitavecchia on a Monday. It is my understanding that the museum will not be open. Does anyone know if the necropolis is open on Mondays!

Thanks!

We are thinking of having a leisurely beach day topped off by a seaside lunch.

Santa Marinella is one stop on the train. This small town is great for wandering around and just relaxing. We're going to try Ristorante L'AcquaMarina for lunch.

Mari:)

This might not be something to see, but to me, it's something to do. I had the best gelato there in town (civi that is)! The main street you come to at the top of the port, the street you'd walk down if you wanted to get to the train, there's a Mc Donalds....to the right of that mcdonalds there's this small Gelato place. OMG. It was the best gelato I've ever had, and I made sure to sample it as often as I could last year and the year before :-) I'd highly suggest stopping there on your way to or from sightseeing. You won't be disappointed! I hope to return to that port just for that LOL

This might not be something to see, but to me, it's something to do. I had the best gelato there in town (civi that is)! The main street you come to at the top of the port, the street you'd walk down if you wanted to get to the train, there's a Mc Donalds....to the right of that mcdonalds there's this small Gelato place. OMG. It was the best gelato I've ever had, and I made sure to sample it as often as I could last year and the year before :-) I'd highly suggest stopping there on your way to or from sightseeing. You won't be disappointed! I hope to return to that port just for that LOL

Thanks!!! We both love gelato, we'll have to find some way to work that in :D

How long would it take to walk from the port?

Edited by trishs

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
I you decide on Tarquinia, look up cotral bus web page for times, every day but a sunday,

2.5e day ticket from local news seller bus stop opposite the church 200 yds from port entrance

It's only $3 and 11 minutes by train to Tarquinia. Easy to do on your own.