Thoughts on Eclipse March 2011

cpinstein

Absolute loved it. Now for details.

Cabin

I went with my 2 adult daughters during Spring Break week. No husbands and no children. I was worried about all 3 of us sharing a cabin, but it was easy. Although the cabins are not large, they are so functional, that we had no storage issues at all. Of course we just took turns in the bathroom, getting ready for the day, or dinner, or whatever. In fact, we didn't even use all the storage in the bathroom.

Ship

It truly is just beautiful. And although the ship was 100% full, we only felt crowded during the life boat drill. The pool area was full, with all the louge chairs taken, but we learned the routine, and got there early enough to stake out chairs.

I sailed on the Eurodam last June, I couldn't believe how much prettier this ship is. Just such eye candy.

Service

Overall, it was excellent. Occasionally, we would have to wait a long time for skim milk for coffee, but just such a minor thing. I had 2 experiences with the staff that exemplify how great it was.

One day I had a note on the door saying my Amex card didn't go through. I knew I had plenty of credit on it, but I figured I better go to the desk and check it out. The lady said she didn't know why, so I better call. I had my cell phone in hand, and she told me to go back to the cabin and place a call and tell the ship operator that she had approved a free call for me. How nice was that? (And of course Amex had no clue why my card had been rejected).

I won a drawing for a free shore excursion. I wasn't able to use it because I was with other people and we had booked private tours. When I went to the shore excursion desk, they checked and called, and let me put the amount towards my daughter's shore excursion in Puerto Rico. Again, above and beyond.

Specialty Restaurants

Book before you go, or as soon as you get on board. Qsine is just amazing and the most fun! However, see if you can find out when the brunch is, and don't book for the same day. Way too much food.

Murano was not so great. Just OK.

Tuscan Grill was really good. We ate there twice.

Dining room

We had booked Select Dining and had no trouble with it at all. Food was good.

Ocean View Cafe

Very good for what it is. Loved having the variety of different places to eat. Some mornings we felt like being waited on, so the main dining room was it. Some we felt like going to the buffet. As had been commented on many times, the different stations really make the buffet easy. You aren't standing in line forever.

Ports

I know this isn't so relevant now, since the ship is leaving for Europe, but in any event, we had a nice time. In San Juan, we took the free trolley to El Morro fort, and then walked down the hills to Old San Juan. As mentioned earlier, my daughter took a tour. She did the zip line tour, but didn't think it was worth $131.00. Most of the time was spent getting there and back, or waiting there.

In St. Martin, I was so disappointed in what has happened to it. It really is so poverty stricken now. So it's all about the water. Friends had great fun on the Regatta Sailing Excursion.

St. Kitts was fabulous. We did a private tour with Thengood Gray, recommended by CC. He's great.

Overall, I was thrilled with Celebrity and the Eclipse. In fact, we rebooked for next year, with hubby and grandkids. My favorite cruise line is Crystal, but I didn't think it's worth 3 to 4 times as much as Celebrity. So I'm a new convert.

Go and enjoy!

Wonderful review Carole!

Enjoyed reading your review, and I agree the Eclipse is great! I too, had a little bit of a let down in Muranos, but nothing that would spoil our perfect cruise!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Archived