Single, not solo, cruisers -- questions

trish1c

Hi all --

My female friend & are are both professionals in our late 30s. I love cruising & she's going on her 1st cruise with her extended family at the end of this month.

If she likes cruising, we are contemplating taking a singles cruise over Halloween on the Star Princess. We'll be paying a slight premium through the host organization & the brochure / web site promises exclusive singles events.

Most of the singles cruises I've seen advertised seem to be for Carnival or HAL. :( I don't think we fit into either of those demographics, so this Princess trip intrigued me.

My questions to you all are:

1. Because this is organized by a travel agency for singles do you think there will be more stuff for people who aren't in a couple to do?

2. Do you think this will be a good fit for us?

To help you answer that, please know I have cruised RCCL & NCL. I enjoyed freestyle dining more b/c I don't like being "scheduled" on vacation but I am not adverse to traditional dining. We both love to get dressed up. I'm more of a partier than she is. Neither of us are shy and we will make full use of the boards beforehand to meet others. We also like each other's company enough that if we don't meet anybody, at least we'll get a nice vacation out of the adventure. :p

and finally

3. To anyone who has gone on a "singles cruise", please share your experiences. Good? Bad? Better or worse than singles events on land? Would you do it again? Why or why not? What would you do differently? I'm worried it's going to be all women.

Thanks in advance! I do love these boards. There are just so many great people willing to share & help.

Trish

Trish, not sure what your circumstances are from your post.........but I have been on three booked "singles cruises", and several cruises I just booked because I wanted to go there and the price and like to be coddled for a week with room service, food anytime I want no dishes to wash etc. Singles cruises have some advantage because if your travel partner (well i dont have one) has different agendas, party avoidance, sleep patterns etc, then a singles cruise is good I would think. Usually people on those have some kind of funky arm band or name tag or something and are always willing to give you a seat at the bar or dining room or restaraunt or whatever. They generally have a "welcome aboard" party exclusive for the "group" so you can meet a bunch of people and then ongoing activities like dance lessons with the cruise entertainment staff, another party or two with "complimentary drinks" (usually a half glass of wine) unless you prefer a watered down mixed drink. I know several people who go on these things who are in reality not "single" at all but like the atmosphere of the thing. Generally the booked singles cruises cost a bit more, but fairly congruent with the special activities and parties you get. John/Juan NM usa

Trish, if the agency you're talking about is the one in Texas, then I know what you're talking about. They have been going to a lot the cruise lines and advertising their "singles cruises". I'm not saying to avoid this agency, but I'm just letting you know what I found out when they started trying to book Crystal cruises for single cruisers. When they did this for Crystal, I noticed they basically didn't do anything that Crystal doesn't normally do for their single passengers. They make it sound like they're doing all the fancy footwork when Crystal has, in reality, been doing most of the things they say they will do, for a long time. On the information sheet I received, they talked about the Gentlemen Hosts who will dance with the single women, but that program isn't done by this agency. Crystal has provided the gentlemen hosts on all their cruises for years, but this agency makes it sound like they're the ones providing this service. The only things I noticed that this agency says they provide is a "social director" who will be there to introduce the singles to each other, and they will do a single's shore excursion and single's cocktail parties, but every cruise line I've ever been on has had singles get togethers on every cruise. I know that they don't do the shore excursions for singles, but that isn't something that's really tough to do. I guess I'm just wondering if this is a ploy to get more business for their agency or if they really do a lot more than what they've written in their newsletters. Yes, I am a pessimist when it comes to things like this because the singles market is growing by leaps and bounds every year. Now, I don't know if this singles thing would be different on a large mass market line, that could very well be the case, but the thing that struck me was they seemed to take credit for activities that Crystal has been doing for years. Oh and BTW, in their literature, they talk about offering things like afternoon tea, all soft drinks and coffees and teas included and everything that Crystal offers every one of their passengers, but again, their literature makes it sound like it's something only they provide to the singles. Take a careful look at what they offer and make your decision. It may very well be that it's a good deal and they do a lot for single cruisers. It could be a fun experience and you could have a great group to cruise with.

While I'm not crazy about the particular itinerary for this cruise, I'd be perfectly happy if all I got out of the deal was a nice cruise vacation. The event we're contemplating is not that much more money than a regular cruise as priced by any of the major travel websites.

Kitty, thanks for the insight but it's not a Crystal cruise (some day that may be in the budget, I hope, but not now). The ad seems fairly legitimate, I think. It says Princess does all this for you & then we do the following extra things. To me this seemed over & above the ocassional singles mixer listed on the general daily schedule. I'm already a little turned off by the idea of having to constantly wear some kind of plastic ID bracelet the whole time. Boy is that going to look stupid on formal night. :rolleyes:

It seems to bear a bit more resemblence to what john / prime9time described -- "private" parties & cheesy events. I'm not much for scavanger hunts. My friend & are are both single. While we're not looking this to land a husband, I'd like to be able to flirt w/o flirting with somebody else's husband / boyfriend.

I always cruised as a couple in the past & we tended to meet other couples. I only remember meeting a few singles but now that I think about some land based group of unmarried people who happened to enjoy swing dancing were on my last cruise. There were about 50 of them & they always looked like they were having fun. Then again, they knew each other before they came aboard.

In any event, this will all depend on how much my friend likes her 1st cruise next week. If she hates it, all bets are off.

Thanks Nanci, it would be fun to do a single cruise, but I'm not sure if I'm up to organizing one. I know a lot of single ladies who would like to get a group cruise together for Crystal.

Trish, you'd be surprised by how little a Crystal cruise can cost, and with their fantastic single supplements, you could do a Crystal cruise for less than a mass market line and their 200% single supplements. There have been a few 7 and 10 day Crystal cruises that start at $995 and only a 5% single supplement. That's much less than booking a mass market's inside room for $699 and then having to pay the 200%.

Trish, you'd be surprised by how little a Crystal cruise can cost, and with their fantastic single supplements, you could do a Crystal cruise for less than a mass market line and their 200% single supplements. There have been a few 7 and 10 day Crystal cruises that start at $995 and only a 5% single supplement. That's much less than booking a mass market's inside room for $699 and then having to pay the 200%.

I had no idea, kitty9. Thanks for the info. I will look into it. For now, I'm taking my friend shopping today for her cruise. She leaves next Saturday.

Hi folks:) another solo cruiser here too.

Kitty, for a grand I would sail Crystal in a heartbeat. Any idea when some of those upcoming cruises might be held?

I just returned from my 7th solo cruise in row:D I am one of those folks who really doesn't care if there are other single/solo cruisers on board though.

I don't have a mate/partner, or whatever it is called these days;). I just LOVE TO CRUISE! And it is such a wonderful vacation!

Kitty, I agree with Nanci though, if you want to plan something I would love to sail with you too! (if it is the budget of course).

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I too would be interested in a "singles" cruise. This year, a female friend & I took a cruise on NCL & were disappointed in the lack of other singles aboard. It was a fabulous vacataion, but could have been nicer if we could have met others who were not married or with their sig other.

Has anyone traveled on the Tahitian Princess as an unattached/single cruiser? I've been considering that trip but am reluctant to be the only one without a partner.

Joanne

Born4water -- there weren't many singles on the Tahitian Princess at all in March. I was with my single friend and if I remember right, I met only one other pair of single ladies traveling together. It's a real small ship (very nice) so the ratio of singles/couples will be small as well. But if you are really born4water, this is the cruise. One of the single ladies I chatted with said that she has snorkeled everyone (Great Barrier Reef, Hawaii, Bermuda) and said that this was by far the most beautiful for snorkeling.

I will volunteer to organize our singles group should I be able to find this type of rate on Crystal.

Perhaps we will get luck in 2006!

If you want to do anything relating to organizing, promoting, gathering emails etc. for a "group cruise" on the CC boards you have to organize a "Cruise Critic Group Cruise"... otherwise you will need to do all by private emails.... You will see a message board for "Member Cruise Planning" at the top of the CC boards for guidelines... that's the policy.. I don't make it but I am the "messenger".

• 1 month later...

While our August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise is not a singles cruise, there are several singles already booked! Some singles are sharing a stateroom and some are traveling solo. Also, some singles are interested in finding others to share a stateroom. The single supplement is currently 150%--at least better than the usual amount of double.

Singles who book their own room will also receive $25 shipboard credit and some other amenities. If you share a room, each will receive $25 shipboard credit.

There will also be a sailaway party and a meet and mingle. There is no group dining--you can eat whenever you want with whomever you want. But there is an opportunity to share shore excursions and participate in group activities. However, you can do as much or as little with the group as you want--some people only book for the group pricing and amenities.

This group cruise has its own forum, so those booked can post and get to know each other. If enough singles booked and there was enough interest, we could have some singles activities! Also, I would welcome those sailing with the group to post and organize singles activities on the group forum.

So if you are interested in a singles cruise, this cruise could end up providing those same experiences! All of you are welcome to join the cruise!!!

For more information, click on the links below or contact me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know about the reduced deposit promotion--book the August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise by Sept. 30 for only a $100 pp deposit!!! In addition to great group pricing you also still get the shipboard credit and other amenities!! Plus, those booking by Sept. 30 will also receive a Princess coupon book!!! This is a great deal for singles/solo travelers!

For more information, click on the links below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net..

Archived