How to Book family of 5??

I have been looking into cruises on Royal Caribbean's website and am wondering what is the best (least expensive) way to book a family of 5. It would be myself, my husband and 3 kids age 17,14, and 9.

When I try to get a quote on the website it says 5 is over the limit in occupancy. I am not ready to call yet as I don't have the specific dates, I was just trying to get an idea.

In general, is it better to get 2 rooms or is one suite that holds 5 people more economical? We would want at least one room with a balcony for sure.

I would really appreciate any advice or tips you could give me. Thanks!

I have been looking into cruises on Royal Caribbean's website and am wondering what is the best (least expensive) way to book a family of 5. It would be myself, my husband and 3 kids age 17,14, and 9.

When I try to get a quote on the website it says 5 is over the limit in occupancy. I am not ready to call yet as I don't have the specific dates, I was just trying to get an idea.

In general, is it better to get 2 rooms or is one suite that holds 5 people more economical? We would want at least one room with a balcony for sure.

Two inside cabins

If I were you, I would call RCI and talk to them about the specific cruise you are looking at. If the cruise is when the kids are in school then it is less expensive. Home schoolers have that advantage.

I know on the Freedom of the Seas, there is an inside family cabin. I believe there are a couple down on the 2nd deck. There is also a Promanade Family cabin. I would ask for various options and the prices. 2 insides would work too. There are connecting rooms. There is a large Ocean View Cabin too. Not sure how many that one sleeps.

We have 3 of us and it is me, DH and DS who is 11 and we cannot even be concidered for the larger family cabins. From what I understand, the family cabins book quickly, so call and talk. There is no obligation.

Two inside rooms is cheaper than a Family Oceanview Stateroom. The Family oceanview stateroom will be about $200 more than the two inside rooms on our next cruise for my Sister on the Mariner. He has the bed, two pullmen beds and a couch bed. It looked VERY tight with all of the beds out!

We are sailing on Freedom in June. My cousin and her family booked two connecting inside staterooms and that was the least expensive way to go. My husband can't stand being in an inside cabin because with small kids you do end up spending more time in the room. We ended up booking one balcony and one inside across the hall. I don't care if I'm sleeping in an inside...but we all want that balcony to hang out on sometimes. :)

Since you said you guys would want at least one balcony, I think your best bet is one balcony and one inside across the hall. Your kids are teens and use more space than little ones in a family cabin.

The extra space from the inside will be welcome as will the extra bathroom space. Good luck.

Since you said you guys would want at least one balcony, I think your best bet is one balcony and one inside across the hall. Your kids are teens and use more space than little ones in a family cabin.

The extra space from the inside will be welcome as will the extra bathroom space. Good luck.

Thanks for pointing out the extra bathroom, I wasn't even thinking about that but with 2 teenage girls that would be nice.

It sounds like the best way to go would be a balcony with an inside across the hall.

Thanks everyone!

The best choice in accommodations depends on the ship.

Which ship are you considering?

The best choice in accommodations depends on the ship.

Which ship are you considering?

We would love to do the Oasis or the Allure but it really depends on what we can find for spring break next year. The school district has not come out with next years callender yet.

We would love to do the Oasis or the Allure but it really depends on what we can find for spring break next year. The school district has not come out with next years callender yet.

I took a quick look at next April.

Oasis prices are astronomical.

You can spend your money however you wish, but I don't think that inside cabins are worth what they are asking.

Can you go the last week before they return to school in the fall?

I took a quick look at next April.

Oasis prices are astronomical.

You can spend your money however you wish, but I don't think that inside cabins are worth what they are asking.

Can you go the last week before they return to school in the fall?

We really would like to do spring break, but it doesn't have to be allure/oasis. My husband and I took our first cruise last January on the Monarch of the Seas. We loved it but I think we (and especially the kids) would enjoy a bigger ship better.

What would be considered a good price for an inside cabin on oasis, I really have no idea.

We are coming from Washington State so would have to consider airfare too. I know that there are some cruises out of Texas and New Orleans too but don't know if the cost of air would be that much different than Florida.

We are a family of 5 and we have sailed in connecting oceanview cabins. Our next cruise is on the Freedom and we have booked a Grand Suite with an inside across the hall for our 3 kids (ages 16, 14 and 11). I would recommend a balcony cabin and an inside across the hall. Our kids tell us they don't care what the cabin is like because they spend all their time at the kids or teen clubs and hanging out with the new friends they meet. They are only in the cabin to shower and sleep. It's definitely nice to have 2 bathrooms. And we will probably keep some of the kids clothes in our room because we will have more space.

Try doing a live chat when you go to booking. Just guess at your departure date and pick a ship and ask about pricing for all options. Depending on the ship you choose to price-ask about family inside, family oceanview and 2 connecting. You may be surprised at the prices you get.

This is exctly how I got a price estimate for my next cruise as I have a 'party of five' too!!.

I would also look into airfare as it may be cheaper to leave from Texas or New orleans. I opted for New Orleans-besides loving spending time there-it was all around cheaper then the other option which was Freedom out of Fla.

I may be in the minority but the across the hall with kids/teens never sat well with me. My personal opinion of course:o. Besides-I enjoy the family time we spend together.

Just got off the Adventure of the Seas with DH, DS 13 and DD 11. We booked two E1 connecting balcony cabins. Best decision we ever made! We had two bathrooms and I could actually walk through my cabin without tripping on something the kids left in the floor.

The condition of their room did not usually (ok, almost never) meet my standards, but I could always close the door! Previous cruises, I spent time picking up after them - not this go round.

PS - count me in the group that is not comfortable putting my kids across the hall.

We are also a family of 5. We did the family suite for our first cruise (when the kids were younger) and switched to a balcony cabin with an inside cabin directly across the hall for the next three. The two cabins worked out very well and were definitely cheaper than the family suite. Just make sure that your kids communicate with you and that you are able to keep tabs on their plans.

You can't underestimate the value of that 2nd bathroom either! :)

If you choose to go this route, though, I'd recommend booking asap to ensure the cabins being directly across from one another. That can be tricky to get as the ship begins to fill up.

I almost forgot:

1. A travel agent can be a big help with arranging the rooms together (typically at no extra cost to you, and often with added bonus).

and

2. Whatever you decide - I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

Hi we just returned from a week long cruise on the Allure with our 3 kids. We debated between a family ocean view and 2 connecting balcony staterooms. We decided on the 2 balcony rooms that had a connecting door and it was great because then we had 2 bathrooms and 2 tvs. I would always opt to stay this way even though the family ocean view is wider and may seem roomier. The 2nd bathroom was a huge plus and so was the 2nd tv helped the kids get along when we were in the cabin. And it actually cost less than the family ocean view...I do not know about inside cabins as that was not something we wanted to try.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Aren't there a few ships that have a few balcony cabins with a connecting inside? I remember reading about those here, just can't remember which ships...

Cindy, unfortunately, both the balcony cabin and its connecting inside are for two - neither has a 3rd berth.

All five Voyager class and three Freedom class ships have two pairs of these pairs, on Deck 9, last cabins aft before the actual aft cabins.

My family of 5 cruised on the Mariner in 2007. My husband, myself, and our 3 daughters 26-22-16. After much looking around, we decided the Royal Family Suite was the best option for us. We were all together and I always knew when the girls came and went. We all had a fabulous time and my husband especially enjoyed the Concierge Lounge. It is one of the more pricey options, however, being flexible when you travel, departure port, length of cruise and choosing older ships may be more cost effective. I know the newer ships are very much in demand and the $$ reflects that. These staterooms do book up early. Regardless, safety and peace of mind on your part will make a more enjoyable cruise for you.

Archived