Insignia 3/11 TA- babies on board!?!

chelseabelsea

Just finished 19 day on Insignia TA from Buenos to Barcelona. Two (screaming) infants on board...very unfortunately, mum and dad insisted on bringing them into GDR and showrrom LATE at night- we could hear them from other side of the dining room- HOW can Oceania allow parents to bring babies into GDR and showroom? Perhaps new policies/restrictions need to be put into place? We (and many others onboard) sail with Oceania to avoid screaming children. Husband and I displeased with parents...poor taste...ugh

This sounds unlike any Oceania cruise we have ever been on and absolutely awful. Hopefully we'll have the normal childless cruises.

We leave on Regatta on April 26 and I hope children will leave their misbehaved parents at home. ;)

Just finished 19 day on Insignia TA from Buenos to Barcelona. Two (screaming) infants on board...very unfortunately, mum and dad insisted on bringing them into GDR and showrrom LATE at night- we could hear them from other side of the dining room- HOW can Oceania allow parents to bring babies into GDR and showroom? Perhaps new policies/restrictions need to be put into place? We (and many others onboard) sail with Oceania to avoid screaming children. Husband and I displeased with parents...poor taste...ugh

Then again, if you had to sit next to someone in the showroom who is wearing a diaper, the infant would probably be your first choice! ;)

I'd rather have babies on a cruise ship than be sitting next to or near one on a 14 hour flight! On a recent flight, a crying baby was walked around the cabin by dad who shared his baby girl's screams with all onboard!

On the MV of the Marina, we had babies and at least one child under 8 years of age. All were very well-behaved, as were their parents.

I sympathize with you re: screaming kids, but yet another "policy" is (IMHO) not what is needed. The parents need some education and manners, and that is not anything Oceania needs responsible for. We are frequent cruisers on OCL and it is our favorite line, but I would hate to see still more "rules/suggestions" in place. People need to accept responsibility for their own actions and those of their underage offspring, whether on a cruise ship, in school, in the mall, anywhere!! Personal responsibility is the issue here I think, not "they should do this or that" referring to the cruise line.

Respectfully submitted, again, IMHO.

Drums

Then again, if you had to sit next to someone in the showroom who is wearing a diaper, the infant would probably be your first choice! ;)

Love it. You may my day before I dig into the daily grind called work.

The twins on board during Marina's MV were down the hall from me. Their mom was very careful when moving them in a side-by-side stroller, and the twins were quite well behaved. But mom was always there to assist. The 5-year old was the head chef's son, and he was a delight! Grandmere and Grandpere were with him during the day when mom/dad could not be. He loved the pool area and the ping/pong table (he could just see over the top)! He helped Dad in the culinary displays (with his own little chef's hat) and even signed O's cook book next to Dad! Cute little boy!!!

I say this because some people want O to go smoke free and child free, and are very intolerant of people who do not conform to their ideas. The children on our cruise were fun to observe, and they were a little slice of home for many grandparents on board. So no more "rules" please!!!

I agree parents should take responsibility for their children, but not all children have as good personalities as the ones on our cruise. Lets not be too quick to condemn mom and dad - they may have been doing their best in a difficult situation. Did any other passengers befriend them and offer to help when they were being harried by the kids? Did any crew?

Sometimes a little patience and compassion can go a very long way toward alleviating a problem. If they were simply oblivious to the problem, treat them like the small number of obnoxious adults you meet on board (yes, there are a very small number of nasty people who sail O). Avoid them!

You sound like the kind of person that I have encountered on "O"..I'm sure there are cruises for impatient types that don't want to be inconvenienced by babies or for that matter anything. Having traveled on old DC7s (yeras ago)with 3 under 4 I know the frustration level of not only the fellow passengers but the parents.. It's hard to stuff a sock in a crier's mouth and now you probably would be arrested for doing so. BTW I never did but sure wanted to do so!!:D

The twins on board during Marina's MV were down the hall from me. Their mom was very careful when moving them in a side-by-side stroller, and the twins were quite well behaved. But mom was always there to assist. The 5-year old was the head chef's son, and he was a delight! Grandmere and Grandpere were with him during the day when mom/dad could not be. He loved the pool area and the ping/pong table (he could just see over the top)! He helped Dad in the culinary displays (with his own little chef's hat) and even signed O's cook book next to Dad! Cute little boy!!!

I say this because some people want O to go smoke free and child free, and are very intolerant of people who do not conform to their ideas. The children on our cruise were fun to observe, and they were a little slice of home for many grandparents on board. So no more "rules" please!!!

I agree parents should take responsibility for their children, but not all children have as good personalities as the ones on our cruise. Lets not be too quick to condemn mom and dad - they may have been doing their best in a difficult situation. Did any other passengers befriend them and offer to help when they were being harried by the kids? Did any crew?

Sometimes a little patience and compassion can go a very long way toward alleviating a problem. If they were simply oblivious to the problem, treat them like the small number of obnoxious adults you meet on board (yes, there are a very small number of nasty people who sail O). Avoid them!

Nicely said.

Interesting thread.

We were on a holiday cruise last Christmas so there were some children on board. Most were well behaved and their parents arranged to have them eat at the Tapas buffet and took turns with the others in their party to watch the kids while the grown ups ate but there were others that tried to have a 3 hour meal in Polo or Toscana with a 7 or 8 year old being expected to sit quietly in a seat. No way, nor would any reasonable person expect it. A little common sense is always appreciated.

We find the same thing at theater. Oh, the kid likes Shrek or Wizard of Oz so lets take them to a 4 hour musical and expect them to sit quietly like an adult and not bother others.

While we enjoy Oceania being "kid free", a few well behaved children/teens have never been a problem. It is the parents who are the problem! perhaps other passengers need to speak up.

• 4 weeks later...

" treat them like the small number of obnoxious adults you meet on board (yes, there are a very small number of nasty people who sail O. Avoid them!

What if you are one of those people?

I was on the cruise with the twins. I did hear them, did I let it upset me, no! But sadly I met more then a a few of the above described adults on the cruise and they did put me on edge.

I actually had to smirk at the outrage that guests displayed in Toscanna the night the children were in there. Didn't let it spoil my dinner, made me glad I wasn't one of them.

I confess to being among the anti-children contingent. That doesn't mean I hate all children ... sometimes I think I may just hate parents of ill-behaved young children!

I also have to say that we have not encountered any young children on our Oceania cruises. We seen a small number of teenagers (a few on a few cruises, never very many) and they have always been very well behaved.

Parents with very young children really should be discouraged from taking the young ones along, just because lots of us older folks do NOT appreciate or understand a cantankerous baby, but even more because there just are not programs for children. Not that I would expect Oceania to turn away a paying customer as long as the age limits have been relaxed. (Renaissance had a lower age limit of 19 as I recall, and Oceania I think reduced that to 14 ... apparently they have done away with these age limits.)

If you want to bring your children along, in MY opinion (and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me) you would be better to be on a line that caters to children.

Parents with young children who are making a fuss in a restaurant should expect glares from other tables when the average passenger is NOT a 20- or 30-something. This isn't to say they shouldn't be forbidden from traveling ... just that they should be prepared to encounter some hostility if their children are noisy. (If the children are infants, there's not much anyone can do about that!)

And if children are noisy -- discipline them! Lots of young parents these days do not ...

Do I sound intolerant? I guess I am. If a sick child is crying, I understand. If a spoiled brat is crying, I don't!

Cantankerously yours,

Mura

Mura I agree on your comments to the venue, why the parents did not do a Disney cruise is beyond me. I have been reading about Disney and it sounds like they put O to shame for service and food,they receive top ratings on Conde Nast. The parents and children would have enjoyed themselves and been better served with money well spent on Disney.

I think there are 2 different cruise experiences that are being discussed here

OP was on INSIGNIA

Others posted they were on MARINA with twins

so different children will behave differently

I agree that if children are crying or acting up during meal ..remove them from the dining venue until they calm down

Archived