Vertical/Horizontal Pictures

Ok, this is going to be a crazy question...but I'm going to ask any way!:)

I take a lot of vertical pictures, and I'm wondering about a setting on my

camera...or a setting on my computer that will turn my vertical pictures so that

I don't have to do it manually with each one!!

Do you all go through all of your pictures and change them after uploading?

I was thinking that our old computer used to automatically make the vertical pictures load so they were vertical off of my card.

After about 1000 picture trip.... rotating them gets to be a pain!:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Many cameras sense when the camera is turned sideways and can be set to automatically rotate the image or at least record in the metadata that the picture is in a vertical instead of horizontal orientation. If the camera does not record this information I don't know how other software would know whether or not to rotate the image.

I'd take a read through the camera's manual and see if you can turn the function "on".

Ok, this is going to be a crazy question...but I'm going to ask any way!:)

I take a lot of vertical pictures, and I'm wondering about a setting on my

camera...or a setting on my computer that will turn my vertical pictures so that

I don't have to do it manually with each one!!

Do you all go through all of your pictures and change them after uploading?

I was thinking that our old computer used to automatically make the vertical pictures load so they were vertical off of my card.

After about 1000 picture trip.... rotating them gets to be a pain!:rolleyes:

Thanks!

If you shoot JPEG, there are lots of programs that you can use to batch rotate your pictures. If you shoot RAW, it might not be that easy.

DON

IrfanView graphics viewer has a lossless JPEG rotation tool with a "rotate according to EXIF info" option. In their thumbnail view, you highlight all the photos in a folder, choose that option and let it rotate them for you.

I've been using it for years to batch re-name and do other handy image play. It is also a lightning fast viewer to replace the MS photo viewer.

http://irfanview.com/

Dave

IrfanView graphics viewer has a lossless JPEG rotation tool with a "rotate according to EXIF info" option. In their thumbnail view, you highlight all the photos in a folder, choose that option and let it rotate them for you.

I've been using it for years to batch re-name and do other handy image play. It is also a lightning fast viewer to replace the MS photo viewer.

http://irfanview.com/

Dave

Faststone is also a good viewer.

DON

You could also lie on your side and hold the keyboard. You might have a real problem, however, if the picture was shot upside down.

LOL!

DON

I see that my question has given some of you the chance to really work on your problem solving skills!! LOOL!! :p:)

..and as a matter of fact...I have some really great shots from just putting my camera behind me and shooting!! It can give really neat effects to groups walking together! Try it!

...and I'll have to check out that software, Dave & Donald!

Thanks everyone!:)

• 2 weeks later...
I see that my question has given some of you the chance to really work on your problem solving skills!! LOOL!! :p:)

..and as a matter of fact...I have some really great shots from just putting my camera behind me and shooting!! It can give really neat effects to groups walking together! Try it!

Thanks everyone!:)

Have a Canon and if I use the Canon interface software then the pictures are rotated correctly. But if I just upload the memory card, then I've gotta rotate manually. I prefer other software over the Canon, so I usually manually rotate.

So you like over the shoulder shots......... ;)

Jamie

I just got home from working A LONG HARD DAY in the emergency ON Easter and I'm really bummed I did not get to spend it at home with my family and 4 kids.

I come here and this is what I read and I'm actually LOLing and had to tell my husband what was so funny. Then it only got better and better. Thanks for the great laugh for the night! :D

(I use Lightroom to process the first half of my pictures, so it automatically flips them for me before taking them into PS) :)

Turn your computer on its side just like you did with the camera

You could also lie on your side and hold the keyboard. You might have a real problem, however, if the picture was shot upside down.

LOL!

DON

I see that my question has given some of you the chance to really work on your problem solving skills!! LOOL!!

Thanks everyone!

Archived