Essential Italian

leetchie69

Hi All!

Going to be on the Carnival Magic cruise that leaves on Jul 3rd out of BCN.

Since most of the stops are in Italy, I was wondering if anyone could suggest phrases in Italian one should learn and might need? We are going to DIY rather than take private tours.

I know Ciao! and Addio!

Thanks in advance!

What is addio?

The most important phrases to learn in any language are please and thank you.

In Italian, please is either per piacere or per favore

Thank you is grazie (which has three syllables, not two)

Unfortunately, as a tourist in town for only a day, pretty much everyone you'll interact with will speak some English.

I am taking Italiano for Travelers and if they offer a course like this in your area it will be very helpful to you. Every city had a "Little Italy". If yours does they will have lessons there. I just came home from class. I am in week 4, so have only learned a few phrases. I really like the class though and intend to continue after this intro course.

You can pick up a little Italian phrase book by Rick Steves. Its helpful but a teacher can really help you feel better about your pronounciation.

I thought it was one way to say goodbye. Maybe not!

Well, not commonly, although you will find it in a dictionary you don't hear it much in usage. (I looked it up, as I've never heard it used; it is in my dictionary.) I suspect that the reason it isn't commonly used is its secondary definition, which is to express disappointment or regret.

As an adult you wouldn't use "ciao", that's an informal, familiar usage for those who know one another well, or for use with children. An Italian friend once told me that the way she can immediately distinguish an American (especially from a Brit, once the language is established) is "excessive" (her word) familiarity and the fact that we smile a lot (for no apparant reason).

The more appropriate way to say hello is "buon giorno".

Goodbye is either "arrivederla" (most formal, especially used if you are speaking to someone older than you) or "arrivederci" (more common).

I think the locals of any particular country appreciate it when tourists make an attempt to say a few words in their language. As others have said, please and thank you is important.

Here's another important phrase to learn before going to Italy:

Un bicchiere di vino rosso per favore. :D

If you are going to by any guide books, most will have Italian phrases in the back.

I found a real handy free one here

\http://www.single-serving.com/Italian/index.php

Folds up, 4 pages make as many as you wish. (There are Spanish, French and German too)

Well, not commonly, although you will find it in a dictionary you don't hear it much in usage. (I looked it up, as I've never heard it used; it is in my dictionary.) I suspect that the reason it isn't commonly used is its secondary definition, which is to express disappointment or regret.

As I recall from my long-departed Neapolitan grandmother, "Addio" is similar to the Spanish "Adios"....literally, "go with God". Unlike in Spanish, it was used by her as a very serious goodbye, not as a daily sort of thing.

Her most common "goodbye" was "ci vediamo", literally, "We'll see each other".

Oddly enough, I don't think I ever heard the word "Ciao" uttered by her.

If you have an iphone, IPAD, there are numerous apps for foreign languages and even pronounce the phrases for you.

I could even have the Ipad do the talking for me!

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will be going with the wallet card that "TheBest.." posted.

I have been loading my Kindle with Italian phrases that I think will be helpful especially as I will be in Venice solo for four days. I have also been starting a daily planning guide so I don't miss anything important. The Notepad app for Kindle is pretty good for 99 cents!

The keyboard on the Kindle is pressure sensitive so you can use your fingernail or a stylus to type on it. I am really liking it so far and will be happy to have extra room for clothes, wine, Bloody Mary mix, all the essentials.

I am definitely planning on storing one piece of luggage and taking just one with me to the hotel. It will just take some planning.

I could even have the Ipad do the talking for me!

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will be going with the wallet card that "TheBest.." posted.

That one is good. Here are some cutting and folding instructions for the one I posted. The instructions may work for the one from Random House too

http://www.single-serving.com/phrase_booklets/fold.pdf

Archived