Glacier Bay NATIONAL Park

I just read this on the Alaskan section;

dan1618 user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon4.gifGlacier Bay and Government Shutdown

I contacted Glacier Bay National Park by phone today (The office number is listed on their website). I asked if Glacier Bay would be closed to cruise ships in the event of a government shutdown. I was told that Glacier Bay would be closed to all activity, including cruise ships. If you are booked on an Alaska cruise for the next few months, I strongly encourage you to contact your representatives and tell them to resolve this issue.

Aren't Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm also controlled by the National Parks Service or Forrestry Department? I wonder if they would also be impacted if the government shut-down continued for an extended period?

B

I have a book on Tracy Arm. It says Tracy, Endicott and Fords Terror, that make-up the Tracy Arm-Fords Terror Wilderness is overseen by the U.S. Forest Service. I know they control the daily number of ships allowed in the area. Tracy Arm, as well as Glacier Bay, could be impacted.

B

If the government shuts down, which to me is unbelievable, it can't last very long. Maybe a few days at most. At least, I hope that's the case. If it does go into the Alaska season, we will indeed have some very serious problems.

In addition to Glacier bay being closed people In the know are expecting a long time... or are preparing for it

Sitka National park

Skagway, ... most of the town is a national park Gold Rush NP.

Denali

Ketchikan Visitor center /museum

A lot of places for shore trips will be closed too. Like in Hawaii the Volcanoes National Parks Pearl Harbor etc

Virgin Island National park. St John

In addition to Glacier bay being closed people In the know are expecting a long time... or are preparing for it

Sitka National park

Skagway, ... most of the town is a national park Gold Rush NP.

Denali

Ketchikan Visitor center /museum

A lot of places for shore trips will be closed too. Like in Hawaii the Volcanoes National Parks Pearl Harbor etc

Virgin Island National park. St John

thanks for all these reminders

Archived