Wheres the cheapest place to buy a cruise?

Just an FYI...if you use a TA- you will not get upsell/upgrade offers.....

(So Carnival rep told me).....so that is something to consider when choosing where to book...

bernadette

Not true!! I meet people all the time who get upsell/upgrades who book through a TA.

Prices are the same using any travel agency compared to directly booking with CCL. The difference is many TAs offer perks specifically OBC which CCL does not. Many here tell of perks being no more than 5% of the cruise price but that is not the case. Many TAs offer group bookings with added perks (OBC) greater than the 5%. There is one agency I use that will always get you between $60 - $250 OBC on any CCL 7 night cruise depending on what cabin category and price you pay.

For other cruiselines is can be even more. Our upcoming NCL transatlantic 15 night cruise we paid $1223 total or $612 per person including all taxes, fees etc. This travel agency was offering $225 OBC and another $50 latitudes OBC for a total of $275 OBC. This is OVER 20% OBC from our cruise price. They also wnet to bat for us getting us a free upgrade to an OV on a higher deck from an Inside cabin on a lower deck when I discovered a matching fare price drop well after final payment.

If you are an experienced cruiser there IMO is no need to book directly with any cruiseline. Why not get the free perks? Find one that does not change for changes/price drop submittals etc. and you have yourself an advantage.

GREAT post!!!

Prices are the same using any travel agency compared to directly booking with CCL. The difference is many TAs offer perks specifically OBC which CCL does not. Many here tell of perks being no more than 5% of the cruise price but that is not the case. Many TAs offer group bookings with added perks (OBC) greater than the 5%. There is one agency I use that will always get you between $60 - $250 OBC on any CCL 7 night cruise depending on what cabin category and price you pay.

For other cruiselines is can be even more. Our upcoming NCL transatlantic 15 night cruise we paid $1223 total or $612 per person including all taxes, fees etc. This travel agency was offering $225 OBC and another $50 latitudes OBC for a total of $275 OBC. This is OVER 20% OBC from our cruise price. They also wnet to bat for us getting us a free upgrade to an OV on a higher deck from an Inside cabin on a lower deck when I discovered a matching fare price drop well after final payment.

If you are an experienced cruiser there IMO is no need to book directly with any cruiseline. Why not get the free perks? Find one that does not change for changes/price drop submittals etc. and you have yourself an advantage.

Agreed. The perks are out there and it only takes a little research....plus I have never had a problem with TA's doing the ES form for price drops...and I don't get charged for it either.

I have had no problem getting a price drop (before final payment) from my agent with no charge. He has always done so right away. Have also booked direct with Carnival and got a price drop refund and an upgrade a few days before the cruise but this was a number of years ago.

I have been happier using a TA. Although...lol...I never used Carnival directly.....

But here is what I like about my TA.

Most of them offer shipboard credit. For example I have a $100 per credit on a cabin that is costing me about 2,500 for the cabin. plus they are great regarding crediting me for any issues I may encounter. and they handle all the paperwork and headaches of my insurance through a reputable company.

Archived