Marina La Reserve?

skandls

Is this Wine Spectator dinner still available?

I did not see anything in the brochures.

Yes, La Reserve is a particularly popular option on the Marina.

Be careful when referring to an Oceania brochure, however, as the ones which feature the R ships won't mention Marina specific amenities.

• Administrators

This dinner REALLY interested the hubby, because he enjoys wine with his dinners. Me? Not so much, I really don't drink at all. I'm wondering if it will be worth it for me to just enjoy the meal -- anyone do this?

laura

There are only two nights in La Reserve currently scheduled for our 16-day (5/26) cruise, and both have been fully booked for some time. I wonder why they don't open up more opportunities?

The La Reserve space is also used for other things besides the wine dinners. Wine tastings are often held there, as are dinners for the OVO suite passengers.

If the other events don't conflict, you will probably see more Wine Dinners scheduled while you are onboard.

This dinner REALLY interested the hubby, because he enjoys wine with his dinners. Me? Not so much, I really don't drink at all. I'm wondering if it will be worth it for me to just enjoy the meal -- anyone do this?

laura

Laura-

They make such a feature of the wine that I think that you would feel odd or at least "left out" if you didn't drink it.

This is not intended as an auxiliary specialty restaurant.

Let me play devil's advocate here.

I haven't had the opportunity to sail on Marina yet and probably won't until we do the Riviera next April. But we intend to try for a dinner in La Reserve when we do.

I AM a wine drinker, but DH really isn't. At a "normal" dinner he may have a glass of wine, but he's more likely to steal a sip from my glass.

Still, when we've gone to dinners such as this where the food is paired with the wines, he's thoroughly enjoyed them. After all, the food sounds pretty spectacular! I personally don't think someone should feel precluded or "left out" because he or she is not partaking of the wine.

As I've mentioned before (not necessarily on this thread), the World Trade Center used to have a small inner dining room called the Wine Cellar that used to do this kind of dinner. It was very special, and Howard always enjoyed the meal even when he didn't drink more than a sip or two of the wine.

Let me play devil's advocate here.

I haven't had the opportunity to sail on Marina yet and probably won't until we do the Riviera next April. But we intend to try for a dinner in La Reserve when we do.

I AM a wine drinker, but DH really isn't. At a "normal" dinner he may have a glass of wine, but he's more likely to steal a sip from my glass.

Still, when we've gone to dinners such as this where the food is paired with the wines, he's thoroughly enjoyed them. After all, the food sounds pretty spectacular! I personally don't think someone should feel precluded or "left out" because he or she is not partaking of the wine.

As I've mentioned before (not necessarily on this thread), the World Trade Center used to have a small inner dining room called the Wine Cellar that used to do this kind of dinner. It was very special, and Howard always enjoyed the meal even when he didn't drink more than a sip or two of the wine.

I'm sure that Howards' comfort level has more to do with his social skills than his level of participation.

The point is that most people are not that urbane. ;)

Urbane? My Howard???

He would thank you if I let him see your comment, but of course I won't. (There are some advantages to having a computer illiterate spouse! The funny part is that his first career was as a microwave engineer ... one would think he could manage a computer, but so far he has not.)

I don't want him to get a swelled head ...

Still, it IS true that it doesn't bother him in the slightest to go into a bar and order an OJ, no ice! And he loves good food, so a little wine is more than enough for him most of the time.

:D

What's that? You have to ask for more?

That's something you did NOT have to do at the Wine Cellar at the WTC!

More likely, you asked them to slow down!

Then again, when you have a 6-7 course meal with a different wine for each course ...

Mura

Then again, when you have a 6-7 course meal with a different wine for each course ...

I'm used to drinking one glass of wine with a meal, occasionally two. Even though the pours in La Reserve were not what normally would be considered full measure, it was still a lot of wine. I drank a little of every pour, but had some left of several.

Yes, La Reserve is a particularly popular option on the Marina.

Be careful when referring to an Oceania brochure, however, as the ones which feature the R ships won't mention Marina specific amenities.

I have a question for JimandStan. We can get La Reserve on our June 21 cruise on the Marina. I had already booked a culinary class on the same date. Obviously, we are trying to try everything on this new ship.

The class is 4:30, La Reserve is 7:00. Did either of you do a cooking class? Of the two bookings I'd rather dine with my husband at La Reserve, but would love to fit both in. The other culinary classes are either full or not as interesting to me as this one. Do you think I can do both? Thanks

Kathy

We found the entire Marina experience terrific. La Reserve was a treat. Hope you find it the same. Stefano was the manager on our trip. Like every member of the Marina staff we encountered, he made it his business to ensure your experience is a perfect as it can be.

I have a question for JimandStan. We can get La Reserve on our June 21 cruise on the Marina. I had already booked a culinary class on the same date. Obviously' date=' we are trying to try everything on this new ship.

The class is 4:30, La Reserve is 7:00. Did either of you do a cooking class? Of the two bookings I'd rather dine with my husband at La Reserve, but would love to fit both in. The other culinary classes are either full or not as interesting to me as this one. Do you think I can do both? Thanks

Kathy[/quote']

You could probably do both in one day, however, I would not suggest it.

During the cooking class, there is a lot of tasting, noshing, nibbling going on:

-taste the cheese alone, then see how the fig puree changes the acidity

-notice how the translucent parts of the Salmon are more tender than the more well done sections

Then at the end of class, most people will feel obligated to taste "their creation".

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable going directly into a 6 course meal........

During the cooking class, there is a lot of tasting, noshing, nibbling going on:

-notice how the translucent parts of the Salmon are more tender than the more well done sections

Then at the end of class, most people will feel obligated to taste "their creation".

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable going directly into a 6 course meal........

I agree with J/S except that it is a 7 course meal(Amuse Bouche/App/Pasta/Fish/Main Course/Cheese/Dessert) and very filling at that even plated small. The food was top notch and the wines spectacular. Enjoy..we would do it again in a heartbeat.

I agree with J/S except that it is a 7 course meal(Amuse Bouche/App/Pasta/Fish/Main Course/Cheese/Dessert) and very filling at that even plated small. The food was top notch and the wines spectacular. Enjoy..we would do it again in a heartbeat.

Debbie-

The Amuse doesn't count as a course ;)

Debbie-

The Amuse doesn't count as a course ;)

Now why wouldn't Lobster and Mascarpone pancake with baby carrot emulsion and rock chive cress not be counted as a course? Of "course" until recently I had no clue what an Amuse Bouche (I know the translation) was. Now what in dining etiquette am I missing:confused: Hello btw

Is there a place here that I say, well, I just won't eat at the cooking class or am I being pretty stupid? The only other night for La Reserve is after the two full days (and one night) in St. Petersburg and we feel we will be very tired and not up to a six (seven?) course meal. I guess I need to put the cooking class on hold (maybe for the Riviera maiden voyage) and enjoy the heck out of La Reserve.

Sorry to be negative, but on the maiden voyage we had a terrible dinner at La Reserve..wines were poor and food mediocre....you can chalk it up to the maiden voyage, but I wouldn't do it again free.

We ate at La Reserve the last night of our cruise, this past Monday. It was a wonderful evening: GREAT food (which is the norm on Marina, as far as we're concerned); GREAT company (it turned out several people we had met on our tours were also enjoying the "event"); GREAT wine (or so my husband told me...I don't really drink, but did take a tiny sip of several served); and a perfect ambiance all around.

Was it worth $188 for the two of us? You bet. We'll probably enjoy it again on our next Marina adventure.

Archived