Gratuities for OS suites

Fressia

We have just received an upgrade to an OS suite on our Panama cruise. What are the tipping guide lines that we should use as gratuities are not included.

Thank you.

Jacquie

The basic tip is added to your onboard account, if you wish to add a gratuity above and beyond that, it is totally up to your discretion.

On some cruises we use the butler more than others, but as a rule of thumb, we usually figure on somewhere around $100 per week more, unless he has been really outstanding.

Naturally, others may tip more or less dependent on their experience.

Enjoy the Oceania Suite, they are STUNNING!

According to the website the amounts added to you account are

Q: What is your gratuity policy?A: How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, gratuities of $16.50 per guest, per day are automatically added to your shipboard account if booked in an Owner's, Vista, Oceania or Penthouse Suite. Gratuities of $12.50 per guest, per day are automatically added to your shipboard account if booked in any other stateroom category. An additional $4.00 per guest, per day will be added for guests occupying Penthouse, Vista, Oceania or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided. Beginning with the 2011 European and Summer Collections, gratuities will increase to $18.50 per guest, per day for Owner's, Vista, Oceania and Penthouse Suites and $13.50 per guest, per day for all other stateroom categories. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.Of course as Jim stated you can add more ..it is your choice

An OS is the only way to go...done it 3 times and will be in one on the 08/26 Alaska sailing. This sailing, we definitely plan to use the butler more...haven't the last three sailings.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say an OS is the ONLY way to go!

Did we love it when we had one? You betcha. And if money is no object, I guess it is the only way to go.

But for many people, the cost IS an object!

Enjoy your OS, I know you will.

Thank you for the replies. We had booked a PH1 and two weeks ago received the offer for an upgrade. Yes ,we had to pay an additional fee. Of course, this happened before we got our taxes back from the accountant!

We'll enjoy.

Thank you for the replies. We had booked a PH1 and two weeks ago received the offer for an upgrade. Yes ,we had to pay an additional fee. Of course, this happened before we got our taxes back from the accountant!

We'll enjoy.

Just be clear, this would be considered an upsell not an upgrade.

True enough, but when we received our upsell in November 2005 we called it an upgrade, and I think our TA did as well!

I never even heard the term "upsell" until a few months ago.

Whatever they are called, I love 'em!

Mura

According to the website the amounts added to you account are

Q: What is your gratuity policy?A: How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, gratuities of $16.50 per guest, per day are automatically added to your shipboard account if booked in an Owner's, Vista, Oceania or Penthouse Suite. Gratuities of $12.50 per guest, per day are automatically added to your shipboard account if booked in any other stateroom category. An additional $4.00 per guest, per day will be added for guests occupying Penthouse, Vista, Oceania or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided. Beginning with the 2011 European and Summer Collections, gratuities will increase to $18.50 per guest, per day for Owner's, Vista, Oceania and Penthouse Suites and $13.50 per guest, per day for all other stateroom categories. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.Of course as Jim stated you can add more ..it is your choice

can one REDUCE the amount that is automatically charged>>>??? On a previous cruise our butler was no better than a wet dishrag (if that good) so would not want him/her to be compensated accordingly>!!!

You can, and we have (although not recently). Just go to Reception and tell them what amount you want to tip. They send out preliminary bills well in advance so you have enough time to make a change if you wish to do so.

can one REDUCE the amount that is automatically charged>>>??? On a previous cruise our butler was no better than a wet dishrag (if that good) so would not want him/her to be compensated accordingly>!!!

If service is bad or non existant then talk to the hotel manager early in the cruise so it can be rectified

You should not have bad service at all on Oceania

Lyn

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say an OS is the ONLY way to go!

Did we love it when we had one? You betcha. And if money is no object, I guess it is the only way to go.

But for many people, the cost IS an object!

Enjoy your OS, I know you will.

For us, money is no problem or object. That's why we book one every time. I think that ther are mane O pax. who would agree with me.

For us, money is a factor - that is precisely why we book OS on Oceania. We have cruised Regent more than any cruise line and we place a premium on space. An OS compared to a Mariner suite on R is just about the same size, but offers incredibly higher value, even considering the R inclusive fares. Having said that, we have booked a Vista for our next cruise. Sailing out of San Francisco and into NYC with a Panama Canal transit in the middle seems to call for a forward facing view! In our recently booked 2012 Black Sea cruise, we're back in a deck 7 OS.

Sarcasm?? Now, now. Beware the green-eyed monster. It will tie you in knots.

I for one don't think the green-eyed monster is in operation here. Just my opinion!

Sure, it is true that for the average cruiser money IS an object -- at least when it comes to the top-level suites. But there are people who cannot afford them and there are people who CAN afford them but for various reasons choose to book a lower category.

It's great if you don't have to worry about paying for luxury! More power to you.

But I have heard that the top suites sell out first and they are very limited in number, especially on the "R" ships. So even people who can afford them and want to book them can't always do so!

Mura

You're absolutely right in your observation in the last paragraph. For those of us who plan ahead and prefer a high level of certainy re suite type, wait lists don't work. Until recently, $1500 could tie up an OS for a year - that is not exactly a substantial commitment - those suites went like hot cakes and therefore were unavailable to those who plan ahead. Indeed, I wrote a plea on this site to call for higher deposits as evidence of commitment and/or raise fares responding to demand (that's how the world works). Well, I'm not sure whether fares have been increased, but the deposit has been increased to 20% and final payment has been set for 5 months prior to departure rather than 90 days - I didn't recommend that last part!

Five months?????!!!! How did I miss that?

And here I'm been mourning the loss of the 72 day final payment date!

Has the industry gone to 5 months or is it just Oceania? The obvious problem with such a lengthy payment time is that things can easily happen 5 months in advance! You can fully intend to take a cruise and have something happen in the meantime.

Time for more travel insurance, I guess! (Which we always get for cruises although we have never bothered with land trips since we don't usually do group tours.)

I have noticed that since the deposit became 20% many more OS and VS seem to be available after the initial bookings. Personally, we still would not take the chance to book later than the day bookings open to make sure we get the suite we want.:)

I have noticed that since the deposit became 20% many more OS and VS seem to be available after the initial bookings. Personally, we still would not take the chance to book later than the day bookings open to make sure we get the suite we want.:)

Per FAQ on O's web site:

Final balance due must received no later than 150 days prior to cruise departure for Holiday Cruises and Cruises of 20 days or longer and 90 days prior to cruise departure,together with passport details and any special onboard service requests; otherwise,booking may be subject to immediate cancellation.

So, no change in final payment dates for those cruise less than 20 days (unless they are Holiday Cruises).

Mura

You're absolutely right in your observation in the last paragraph. For those of us who plan ahead and prefer a high level of certainy re suite type, wait lists don't work. Until recently, $1500 could tie up an OS for a year - that is not exactly a substantial commitment - those suites went like hot cakes and therefore were unavailable to those who plan ahead. Indeed, I wrote a plea on this site to call for higher deposits as evidence of commitment and/or raise fares responding to demand (that's how the world works). Well, I'm not sure whether fares have been increased, but the deposit has been increased to 20% and final payment has been set for 5 months prior to departure rather than 90 days - I didn't recommend that last part!

The increase in initial deposit is something we did have to contend with for the 08/26 Alaska sailing. The 5 months bit was not in force at the time. I think that FDR is pushing his luck. I would suggest that O go to a 6 months deposit and give pax. a 5% discount in addition to any other goodies.. One can only push your customers so far.

After this sailing, doubt that we will do O anytime soon.

The final payment still says 150 for cruise 20 days & over (all Categories)

Do not see anything about OS having to pay 5 months in advance on shorter cruises ...maybe it is hidden someplace in the brochure :confused:

I will never have that problem;)

Lyn

Archived