What is drydock really like?

the2ofus

My son was recently on the Eurodam in drydock. His job is to build, repair or replace the shows in the theater and inspect certain backstage equipment on cruise ships. He posted on facebook as they were entering drydock.

"16 feet of water under the keel which means we are already on the blocks, waiting for water hook-ups before we go fully dry. Pleasant day in the Bahamas."

In response to a question he posted the following:

"I repair and install theatre scenery on cruise ships. OK, Here goes, I promised somebody I'd tell them how to have all the drydock fun in your own house. First, drydock is NOT liking taking a ship in to the spa, it is more like a heavy duty makeover involving surgery, often major surgery...

To simulate it at home, first cover all your floors with sticky plastic that sort of protects them, but also pops when you walk and makes it impossible to slide a chair. Then, anytime you come or go from your house you need to climb a 40 degree angle ramp that climbs about 6 stories up. Hire a guy to grind metal and bang on garbage dumpsters outside your house all day and all night.

Turn off the heat and A/C, if you have a window, you can open it, but only if you leave an air compressor running outside and occaisionally shoot sandblasting or paint residues into it. Also if you have a window, there will be a crane operator or a french guy rappelling down the ship side washing windows when you get out of the shower.

Speaking of the shower, before you get in, flip a coin twice, if you get tails either time, there is no hot water, if you get tails twice there is no water at all. You can expect no change in this status for 12 hours. Get a 12 year-old kid with a short attention span to turn power on and off when they think to do it. Randomly block a path through the house, spread floor patch or glue or something. All garbage must be carried to the roof and placed in the dumpster there, the crane will take it away.

Dinner will be whatever is left in the freezer... since there are lots of filipinos working expect rice and fish heads to be well represented. Make lots of loud PA announcements in languages you cannot understand. -- Some of these may actually say "we just set the ship on fire, if you speak Finnish, get off now and beat the rush"

It ain't all beer and skittles, kids."

Memo to Sakedad: he was replacing the previous show with a new one.

I love the humor of the comments you've included.

About five a six years ago, there was an eight episode show called "Drydock: The Rebirth of a Cruise Ship." I saw most, but not all, of the episodes and wish I could find it online as it was very interesting. If memory serves, it was an RCI ship and during the course of the two or three week drydock, several fires (three?) broke out. It seemed like a truly grueling experience.

I would agree with that post!

I received a pic from my other half a couple of days ago showing just how brown the shower water is. Air con goes off at 6pm to save power so by the time he goes to bed the cabin is stiflingly hot and he can't sleep.

He will say to people he's off to Singapore/The Bahamas etc to work on ships and most will say "oooh, lucky you". Both him and I are quite to point out it's not lucky at all!! Yes - he earns a good wage from it and that is the ONLY reason he does it.

I've obviously never been myself but I've heard and seen enough from him to realise it does sound totally hideous! :(

He's currently on the Volendam in Singapore and will be joining the Nordam in the Bahamas tomorrow I think.

That description really makes you appreciate all the hard work that goes into drydock, that's for sure. We've talked with the crew about drydock and their experiences aren't pleasant either. They must help out with minor responsibilities like moving furniture and cleaning, and serve the workers' meals, usually in the dining room. They said serving workers isn't as nice as serving passengers, and there's no tips for the duration either. Sounds like no one likes drydock!

I'm glad you are enjoying my son's description. Sometimes he also works on ships when they are at sea. When that happens, they have to work around the performers' rehearsal and show schedules. He often has to sleep during the daytime, then work during the wee hours of the morning. Loves it when assigned to an inside cabin which stays dark 24 hours a day.

He knows the best hardware stores in every port in the Caribbean, but rarely gets to really see the scenery. His most bizarre story, IMHO was an emergency repair to backstage equipment when a ship was doing an Alaska cruise. He flew to Juneau, did the repair, got back on the plane and flew back to Ohio, all in one day. The show must go on don'cha know!

Archived