it's dinner time

Scorpiorose

There is no fixed dining option on NCL. All dining is "freestyle". If you want to eat at the same time every night, just go to one of the dining rooms at that time. You can't be guaranteed the same waiter and table however. If you want a set dining time and the same table and waiter evey night, you're booked on the wrong cruise line.

It works the same as your restaurants on land. If you are hungry you walk to one of the included restaurants go to the door and they seat you. If you wish "finer" paid dining you make reservations for a specific time.

so....do you need to sign up for "my time dining" or what ever it's called. How do they know you want a certain time to dine each night rather than "any time dining"?

You signed up for anytime dining when you booked. If you want the same time every night then you just go along at that time. Some traditional style cruisers find freestyle a difficult concept but once you try it you realise that having personal choices and freedom to do things when you want to do them is really the way to go.

You signed up for anytime dining when you booked. If you want the same time every night then you just go along at that time. Some traditional style cruisers find freestyle a difficult concept but once you try it you realise that having personal choices and freedom to do things when you want to do them is really the way to go.

That statement I find rather funny when I hear it from cruisers new to NCL. I’m just the opposite, I view dining on other set time cruises more like institution dining with better food. Set time every night, eating with strangers. That would take me a bit to get used to. Freestyle dining is more like everyday life on land as mentioned above.

Why would you have to “get used to” exactly what you would do all the time if you eat in any land restaurant.

This "freestyle "dining is probably one of the main reasons why we decided to go with NCL as opposed to the other cruise lines.

DW compares the "other options" to going out for dinner and then having 2 total strangers set down and say that they will be joining you for dinner ! Say What !!!! Now we are not social stick-in-the-muds , far from it , we enjoy other peoples company when travelling. But we also like having the option of not , whenever we want with whom ever we want. The last thing I want is when we're on our cruise celebrating our 40th ann. is someone asking me what I do for a living? Hello ........!

But that's JMHO...........Cheers the Ump :D

I love meeting new people as well, but I have never warmed to the eating with strangers deal. I love trains, especially the Coast Starlight, but they don't give you the choice of eating with strangers, it is thrust upon you!

We had a table for 2 on HAL for dinner, but for lunch they would just march us over to a 4 top, stop and say "Here are your new luncheon companions!" like it or not.

I always make the best of it, but reading the previous post I realized that's the part that is uncomfortable. Being interviewed while eating.

I also appreciate how NCL asks you if you mind sharing, but not in front of the people with whom you would be sharing!

I love trains, especially the Coast Starlight, but they don't give you the choice of eating with strangers, it is thrust upon you!

I've thought of taking the Coast Starlight to connect with cruises embarking from southern California. I've heard there is a "club car" on that train (apparently this is a unique feature of the Coast Starlight) where you can choose to take your meals, and you can often find a small bar table to yourself. Is that true? And/or have you given it a try?

That statement I find rather funny when I hear it from cruisers new to NCL.

I am not a new cruiser to NCL

I’m just the opposite, I view dining on other set time cruises more like institution dining with better food. Set time every night, eating with strangers. That would take me a bit to get used to.

Those are the main reasons I choose to sail NCL. I don't want a set time and a bunch of strangers.

Freestyle dining is more like everyday life on land as mentioned above.

Indeed it is

Why would you have to “get used to” exactly what you would do all the time if you eat in any land restaurant.

I was referring to people who have previously sailed on lines with more traditional dining styles of fixed times and fixed seating and fixed waiters. When people who have only ever sailed that way sail on NCL it seems to cause them a problem. Most frequent moan seems to be not having a waiter who knows their every thought before they have it themselves.

Enough clarification for you?

Enough clarification for you?

#1 I said “I find rather funny when I hear it from cruisers new to NCL” not you, I was responding to your statement of “some cruisers….”

#2 “I’m just the opposite”, responding again to the where I highlighted the portion of your statement which was “some cruisers….”

#3 I was questioning why some people need to “get used to” again not you, but pertaining to the people who you seemed to be referring to in “some cruisers find freestyle a difficult concept”.

So as you can see I did not need clarification as I totally agreed with your post and point. I do apologize if you misunderstood.

Ww took the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle a few years ago to connect with an Alaskan cruise.

I had read about the club car, which is for first class passengers only, and was really looking forward to it. However, as we got on board, I was told the club car was not part of the train, due to maintenance.

They show movies at night and have wine and cheese tastings in the afternoon. I don't know about taking your meals there, although your porter will bring your meals to your cabin if you ask.

Despite, the club car not being part of the train, we still enjoyed our trip. The scenery, especially along the California coast is absolutely gorgeous.

I love meeting new people as well, but I have never warmed to the eating with strangers deal. I love trains, especially the Coast Starlight, but they don't give you the choice of eating with strangers, it is thrust upon you!

We had a table for 2 on HAL for dinner, but for lunch they would just march us over to a 4 top, stop and say "Here are your new luncheon companions!" like it or not.

I always make the best of it, but reading the previous post I realized that's the part that is uncomfortable. Being interviewed while eating.

I also appreciate how NCL asks you if you mind sharing, but not in front of the people with whom you would be sharing!

Doris and I travelled on the Coast Starlight a few years ago. It was a great way to travel from Seattle to LA.

Dave

Archived