Please Correct Me if I am Wrong

Wannaknow

We are taking our 1st cruise on Oceania. From what I've read here, I am assuming that reservations need not be made for the MDR, but only for the specialty restaurants. Is this correct?

I'm also assuming you can show up in the MDR at any time within dining hrs. Is there usually a wait at popular times & if so - have you found it to be a long wait?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

We are taking our 1st cruise on Oceania. From what I've read here, I am assuming that reservations need not be made for the MDR, but only for the specialty restaurants. Is this correct? CORRECT

I'm also assuming you can show up in the MDR at any time within dining hrs.Correct again

Is there usually a wait at popular times & if so - have you found it to be a long wait?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

The only time we found a line up of any consequence was on the Captain's Welcome party night other nights the line moves quickly if there is a line at all

Seems people like to get there before 6:30pm when the GDR opens so you may see a line-up ;)

I've NEVER had to wait for a table in the MDR...

I don't like "Open Seating" on most cruise lines (ie Princess)...They tend to give you a buzzer and make you wait, then they have an incentive to rush you through dinner to open up the table for the next party...

On Oceania, that has never been an issue...We get seated when we arrive...service is proper and unrushed...

At least on the R-Ships, the MDR seems to be more than amply sized for the number of passengers...and properly staffed as well...

It is one of few cruise lines where the open seating system really works...

We usually come into the GDR around 7:30-8:15 and on occasion have had a wait -- never very long. The longest wait might have been 10 minutes.

We like to share tables and several times the only table available was a solo. They like to have a table start all at once (understandably), so if you are the only ones wanting to share at the time you arrive, you might be out of luck.

One way around that is to make "dates" with people you meet on board.

Mura

On what night of the cruise is the Captains Party held? We are on the Marina May 26th cruise.

I think it is usually the first sea day but if you have no sea days not sure

I guess if you leave the port early that might be the night ;)

Lyn

We have on occassion had to wait for a table in the main room but never a long time. What drives the wait is the time in my opinion is:

- if you want a table for two vs shared seating

- sea days vs port days

- time you arrive at the dining room

After sailing on the Regatta a number of times & recently Marina, I can assure you you should not have a wait in the GDR regardless of the times you show up. Specialty restaurant reservations should be made online before departure to assure you of a spot, but these can be modified on the ship if necessary. On or recent Marina 12 day cruise we had dinner a number of times in Toscana in addition to the other restaurants. You wont be disappointed...

Thanks for your comments everyone! We are so looking forward to trying Oceania.

Bruin Steve - We had "As You Wish" dining on Princess about 6 years ago. What we "wished" was that we could get a seat in a dining room - any dining room. We ended up in the buffet most nites. :eek:

I'm going to be the negative input here, sorry to say.

We gave up on the GDR. It was too hectic and noisy for us, we always had a wait (sometimes up to 30 minutes but then we go with the intention of dining on our own and not joining a table), and often we were served items that we did not request.

We noted these facts on our Guest Comments cards on each of our 4 cruises so we don't feel badly about posting our experiences here but we're disappointed that nothing changed from cruise to cruise.

We were on both Insignia and Nautica so it wasn't a "specific ship" issue.

My goodness, Vaitape, we certainly have had different experiences!

You want a table for two and can't get it, and we've often had a table for two when we didn't want it!

But whether we dined by ourselves or with others, we certainly never had to wait half an hour for a table!

We also don't find the GDR "hectic and noisy" although I will say that my husband has a hearing problem and does not like to be seated in the center section which definitely IS noisier.

Also never had a problem being served items we didn't order ... although on occasion (very rare) we have returned an item. DH is far more likely to order a second dish than he is to return something,but it HAS happened -- as I said, extremely rarely.

We've been on all of the"R" ships to date (sometimes when they were Renaissance) and really have not had your experience.

I do express sympathies to you since obviously you haven't been happy.

Maybe we should go in together ... if you want a table for two then maybe we could give you the table for two that they give US and take YOUR table for 4-8 that WE want!

No, it probably wouldn't work ... darn it!

Mura

Perhaps it's all in timing Mura re seating choices.

We were on the same 2 cruises last summer as you were and yes, our experiences were entirely different than yours.

Happy that you are happy with your GDR experiences on O. We were not. BUT we were pleased to meet you!! How about that beautiful day in Geiranger fjord.........WOW!

We were on the same 2 cruises last summer as you were and yes, our experiences were entirely different than yours.

Happy that you are happy with your GDR experiences on O. We were not. BUT we were pleased to meet you!! How about that beautiful day in Geiranger fjord.........WOW!

We've never waited more than 5 minutes for a table, so I have to wonder if you gave other restrictions besides just "a table for two"?

Did you ask for a particular section or a particular waiter?

It's also important, in an open seating restaurant, to "read the room" to a certain extent. The older the passenger load, for example, the more popular early dining will be.

In that case, take a longer shower, have a second drink, or read another chapter, and you'll avoid the rush.

On the other hand, if you are determined to eat alone, and in quiet, then perhaps you'd be happiest choosing the in-suite dining option. The food is the same, and they serve it beautifully.

in-suite-dining.jpg

Then again, you say that you've sailed four times, so perhaps you've already discovered that.

Nope, no location or staff preferences other than a 2 top.

Came to the GDR between 7:45 and 8:15 and aren't in the "older pax" cat (in our opinion anyway).

Eating in our room doesn't appeal to us (and BTW, you must be in a room cat higher than Concierge because there is no way food can be served beautifully on a table meant to serve 2 wine glasses and some canapes) and we read heaps and takes lots of showers in our shower stall but thanks for the suggestions.

We've never waited more than 5 minutes for a table, so I have to wonder if you gave other restrictions besides just "a table for two"?

Did you ask for a particular section or a particular waiter?

It's also important, in an open seating restaurant, to "read the room" to a certain extent. The older the passenger load, for example, the more popular early dining will be.

In that case, take a longer shower, have a second drink, or read another chapter, and you'll avoid the rush.

On the other hand, if you are determined to eat alone, and in quiet, then perhaps you'd be happiest choosing the in-suite dining option. The food is the same, and they serve it beautifully.

And you can order from any dining venue, no reservations required.

That was a great day!! And here I'd been about to cancel the boat trip since we'd essentially seen the same scenery coming in on Insignia. But I would have been really wrong! I well understand how next June's Midnight Sun passengers are upset about the elimination of that port!

And certainly dinner choices are a question of timing. I just NEVER had a problem getting a table for two. I'm not saying it can't happen, of course.

(And if you weren't happy with the GDR, you won't change your mind because someone else says, "That never happened to me"!)

Of course, when we ask to share they aren't going to say to us, "there aren't any two person tables left"! They only offer us that table when the possibility of sharing doesn't exist.

Mura

Princess)...They tend to give you a buzzer and make you wait

That simply is not true about Princess. We've been on many Princess cruises, in recent years always use the open seating, and have never been given a buzzer.

On the other hand, Oceania cruises are unquestionably superior to any of the mainstream cruise lines.

Bill

I am a first time cruiser travelling solo on Regatta, Alaska June 2011.

Will I be OK as a single traveller to retain some shred of spontaneity and book my specialty restaurants once on board? I am in a B1 verandah. I figure I will meet other cruisers along the way and just roll with the punches, surely one person will not be hard to accommodate at the "last minute? Or better to make the bookings in advance then try to change them if I want to?

Also, I would like to be in a good location on Regatta for my very first cruise departure. Will "sail away" be directly after fire drills? Where would be the best place to be to get a good view and possibly check out the crew activity of how they actually get these ships away from port?

Thanks for any advice

Mel

Aussie Girl,

Our last cruise (last summer) was before you could book specialty diners ahead of time. Or at least I don't think we could! We certainly did NOT.

Will they give you a table for one? I sort of doubt it. (Could be wrong!) But a good way to meet people there is to say you want to share, whenever you sign up. On our Panama Canal cruise in 2003 (or was it 2004?) we had a lovely dinner at a table for four -- the other two were singletons. One a woman who had lived in Central America for several years, and the other was our guest lecturer on Central America.

They don't seem to sell out a restaurant on a given night with pre-departure bookings so I think you would be fine booking when you get on board. That's what we have always done. (Bear in mind that we have often done a cruise without ever booking Polo or Toscana because we are very fond of the GDR.)

For sailaway I'd head up to the top deck, aft. Assuming you want to look backwards!! Otherwise, head forward! Or to Horizons. But to get a good view in Horizons, you want to be EARLY. Sail-away is usually shortly after the boat drill.

But not always! On one occasion it happened the next day ... but that was a number of years ago. I don't think they do that anymore.

O people tend to be a friendly lot, and you have the advantage of knowing names from your Roll Call. If you haven't signed up there yet, do so! You have a built-in group of friends ... or at least acquaintances!

Mura

That simply is not true about Princess. We've been on many Princess cruises, in recent years always use the open seating, and have never been given a buzzer.

On the other hand, Oceania cruises are unquestionably superior to any of the mainstream cruise lines.

Bill

I don't think Oceania is considered a mainstream cruise line.

I am a first time cruiser travelling solo on Regatta, Alaska June 2011.

Will I be OK as a single traveller to retain some shred of spontaneity and book my specialty restaurants once on board? I am in a B1 verandah. I figure I will meet other cruisers along the way and just roll with the punches, surely one person will not be hard to accommodate at the "last minute? Or better to make the bookings in advance then try to change them if I want to?

Also, I would like to be in a good location on Regatta for my very first cruise departure. Will "sail away" be directly after fire drills? Where would be the best place to be to get a good view and possibly check out the crew activity of how they actually get these ships away from port?

Thanks for any advice

Mel

Just book online for a date & time and YES to sharing they will seat you with others or you can just check in at the Terrace podium and ask what time are available

If you are willing to share a table there should be no problem

Just go out on deck 5 or the pool deck (deck 9) sometimes they get underway before the drill is over.

You will have other opportunities to see how they leave the dock at the ports of call

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Aussie Girl,

Our last cruise (last summer) was before you could book specialty diners ahead of time. Or at least I don't think we could! We certainly did NOT.

Mura

We did for the cruise I had booked to share with Rhonda, Paul & wife

Lyn

I don't think Oceania is considered a mainstream cruise line.

No, of course not. (Logically, it couldn't be superior to all the mainstreams if it were one itself!) It is definitely a premium cruise line. Cost-wise, it is about midway between the mainstream lines and the luxury lines.

Bill

Archived