Seasoned RCCL cruiser ready to sail Celebrity - need help!

cruisegirl1

Hi - I can use some assistance.

We are getting ready to book the Celebrity Solstice in January, 2012. We have over 50 cruises with RCCL ( we’ve been on every class of ship) and a few with Carnival (from the late 80’s) so we are used to cruising. We cruise 3-6 times each year. We are Diamond Plus with RCCL so we were already able to secure an Elite membership in the Captain’s Club

For those who have sailed Celebrity and RCCL, what can we expect to be the major/minor differences? As members of the Captain’s Club, can you give me some real life comments on the amenities.

We are considering a simple veranda cabin, but will love cabin advice, Perhaps a good/bad cabin or category, good location on the ship, etc.

Also, we are so familiar with RCCL menus, we usually dine in a specially restaurant several times during the week, mainly for a change. Since we have never sailed Celebrity, should we stick to the dining room and enjoy the menu or is there a dining venue that is “not to be missed”?

Just some background – we are semi retired, active 50 somethings .

Thanks for the assistance.

M

Hello,

I have sailed a few times each with RCI and Celebrity. They are both great cruise lines, but definitely have differences. Here is the most significant (IMHO):

RCI: RCI is great for families travelling with children and for young adults as there are so many venues (especially on their larger ships) for such a demographic. RCI also has a lot more energy at nighttime for those who like to stay up past the midnight hour and be in a lively atmosphere. RCI also has more staff led activities.

Celebrity: Celebrity is great for those seeking a more sophisticated, upscale atmosphere than RCI. There are nice touches such as being handed a glass of sparkling wine as you board, minimal overhead announcements during the day, no signing out of pool towels etc. While there are still a fair number of activities, there is some down time so people at times need to create their own entertainment or just have some relaxation and/or reading time. The food overall is a bit higher quality and a bit fancier on RCI and the public areas a bit more elegant.

Definitely try the specialty restaurants; Celebrity shines in this area. Murano (upscale French cuisine) is my favorite on S-Class. There is also Tuscan Grille (Italian Steakhouse) and Silk Harvest (Asian Cuisine) as well as Bistro on 5 (Crepes and Paninis). All are good, but definitely try Murano and Bistro on 5 (only $5, so great bargain) at a minimum.

A couple of years ago now Celebrity ramped up Captain's Club perks and they are quite good now. As Elite you will receive 90 minutes free internet time each, a fair amount of free laundry, free cocktails from 5pm-7pm, breakfast event with free espresso based coffees as well as mimosas and bloody Marys and other perks.

Some other recommendations:

*Be sure to check out the Hot Glass blowing show (at the Lawn Club) early on; on our first S-Class cruise we waited until the last day and wished we had gone earlier as we loved it.

*Try the almond and/or chocolate croissaints at Cafe al Bacio in the morning (no charge, but they go fast).

*Try the poached fruit in the Aqua Spa Cafe at lunch (no charge).

*Try a martini flight at the Martini Bar - six mini martinis, each a different flavor.

*Try at least one drink at the Molecular Bar.

Hi - I can use some assistance.

We are getting ready to book the Celebrity Solstice in January, 2012. We have over 50 cruises with RCCL ( we’ve been on every class of ship) and a few with Carnival (from the late 80’s) so we are used to cruising. We cruise 3-6 times each year. We are Diamond Plus with RCCL so we were already able to secure an Elite membership in the Captain’s Club

For those who have sailed Celebrity and RCCL, what can we expect to be the major/minor differences? As members of the Captain’s Club, can you give me some real life comments on the amenities.

We are considering a simple veranda cabin, but will love cabin advice, Perhaps a good/bad cabin or category, good location on the ship, etc.

Also, we are so familiar with RCCL menus, we usually dine in a specially restaurant several times during the week, mainly for a change. Since we have never sailed Celebrity, should we stick to the dining room and enjoy the menu or is there a dining venue that is “not to be missed”?

Just some background – we are semi retired, active 50 somethings .

Thanks for the assistance.

M

Welcome to Celebrity. I think Gonzo covered most of your questions. We love the Solstice class of ships. They are outstanding and Celebrity is tops on food and service as far as we are concerned.

Here's some additional information for you. Check out this website for pictures of the Solstice (provided by Beyondships).

http://www.beyondships.com/Celebrity-Solstice-Tour-1.html

Specialty dining is really great and we love Murano's and Bistro on 5.

On the Solstice class ships all cabins with verandahs are the same size but some have larger balconies if they are on the "hump". Here's the good cabin numbers to look for one of those larger balconies:

Resort Deck: 2105, 2109, 2106, 2110

Penthouse Deck: 1547, 1552, 1601, 1605, 1606, 1610

Sky Deck: 1075, 1044, 1231, 1243, 1247, 1108, 1120, 1124

Panorama Deck: 9155, 9192, 9209, 9215, 9237, 9241, 9266, 9270, 9292, 9296

Vista Deck: 8197, 8160, 8257, 8253, 8230, 8226, 8279, 8283, 8252, 8256

Sunrise Deck: 7159, 7206, 7215, 7219, 7241, 7245, 7260, 7264, 7286, 7290

Continental Deck: 6155, 6156, 6209, 6215, 6237, 6241, 6210, 6214, 6236, 6240

We had 1606 on the Eclipse (sister to the Solstice) which is Aqua class. With this class you get free bottled water and tea, free access to the Persian Gardens and Relaxation room, better bedding, towels and balcony furniture.

Here's our huge balcony:

049.jpg

050.jpg

so is aqua class comparable to a suite on RCCL, or is it a category of balcony rooms, like D1, D2, etc.? The jargon is a little different over here. :o

Aqua Class is not a suite (though Celebrity new 2012 ship - Reflections will have some Aqua Class suites). Aqua Class staterooms are regular sized balcony staterooms, but you receive extra perks (i.e. dinner and breakfast in a smaller more intimate venue than the main dining room, free access to the Persian Gardens area of the spa etc.). RCI does not have anything equivalent to Aqua Class.

Thanks for the responses and specifically the cabin info.

We prefer to drive to port and can make it to Port Canaveral or Tampa (for an RCCL sailing ) in less than 8 hours and I hate that extra 3 hours to Ft. Lauderdale. However, after seeing your replies and some replies on an RCCL board, it seems to be well worth it.

See you all on board.

M

I will have to do some research on aqua class...

are they more expensive? are you paying for the perks, or for location on the ship, or both?

NM, i looked into it a little more. It seems nice, but I don't know if it is worth the 1k price upgrade for two people. Maybe someday..

are they more expensive? are you paying for the perks, or for location on the ship, or both?

Wow did you say it was $1,000 difference??? No way would that be worth it.

Sometimes, Aqua is more expensive. We love Concierge Class so when we decided to try out the Eclipse we booked Aqua. When we booked it was higher than Concierge but the price fell and it was actually cheaper than Concierge. One of the best benefits is access to Blu which is a dining room specifically for Aqua class passengers. It is a smaller venue, more intimate with mostly two top tables. They are close together so you can still visit with your neighbors if you wish. Most people really love Blu. Aqua also is in a good location close to the spa. The relaxation room which you get free access to, is at the front of the ship and it's right down the stairs from the spa where you will find the persian gardens. (think heated tile loungers and steam rooms). The free bottled water was a great perk, you get fresh flowers, fresh fruit daily (you can chose what you want) and canapes delivered around 4:00 (or you can substitute for cheese and crackers). We loved the spa shower!! You also get an extra cruise credit if you need it to go towards Elite.

Another good thing for Aqua class and Concierge class is you get the expanded room service breakfast menu where you can get fresh squeezed juices and smoothies free of charge. Very nice to sit out on the balcony for breakfast.

NM, i looked into it a little more. It seems nice, but I don't know if it is worth the 1k price upgrade for two people. Maybe someday..

You are definitely paying for the perks rather than location; many Aqua Class staterooms are not in the best of locations (many are under the pool and some under the gym, so are prone to a bit of noise). The price difference between Aqua Class and lower balcony categories varies greatly; on some cruises Aqua Class is much more expensive than Concierge Class, on others Aqua Class is occasionally cheaper than even obstructed balcony staterooms (I do not know why this occasionally happens, but it does). Keep checking the prices for your cruise as the prices can change fast.

Archived