Dazed and Confused :)

ilovecraig929

Planning a cruise to alaska is daunting! So many choices!!!!! Okay I have no experience whatsoever but I have tried to research what I can! I'm kind of hung up on this: I've read wonderful things about Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage. I thought I had found the perfect cruise on Princess because it had both glacier bay and hubbard on the itenerary and it *looked* like it sailed through the inside passage but that's not listed (as it is on royal caribbean where they put "inside passage" as a "destination/feature/", etc website) and for princess it just says "At Sea" SO could anyone enlighten me, do they actually NOT sail through the inside passage (here is a pic of what it shows and then what it says:

http://www.princess.com/find/itineraryDetails.do?subnav=true&voyageCode=M212&tourCode=&resType=C&departurePort=&noOfCruiseDays=&noOfTourDays=&travelOrder=&bID=PCPB&airPortCode=&productCode=AGW071&departureDate=Jun+02%2C+2012&productDesc=7+days+Voyage+of+the+Glaciers+From+Whittier+to+Vancouver

So if this means no inside passage on princess, I know this is totally subjectable but if you had to choose would you pick Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier OR Hubbard Glacier and Inside Passage?

The "inside passage" description means NOTHING. :) All ships sail "inside passage", you can not get to Juneau or Skagway without doing so. Inside Vancouver Island, is sailed by all Vancouver ships, but not by most round trip Seattle ships, which, have the least scenic routing of Alaska cruises, (and the roughest potential).

With any one way, I strongly advocate adding as many extra days as possible. :) Take advantage of being all the way there. :)

The "inside passage" is a bit missleading. Once in Alaska you are sailing "inside" The specific marketing is around sailing East of Vancouver Island. IMHO you got everything important!

Planning a cruise to alaska is daunting! So many choices!!!!! Okay I have no experience whatsoever but I have tried to research what I can! I'm kind of hung up on this: I've read wonderful things about Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage. I thought I had found the perfect cruise on Princess because it had both glacier bay and hubbard on the itenerary and it *looked* like it sailed through the inside passage but that's not listed (as it is on royal caribbean where they put "inside passage" as a "destination/feature/", etc website) and for princess it just says "At Sea" SO could anyone enlighten me, do they actually NOT sail through the inside passage (here is a pic of what it shows and then what it says:

http://www.princess.com/find/itineraryDetails.do?subnav=true&voyageCode=M212&tourCode=&resType=C&departurePort=&noOfCruiseDays=&noOfTourDays=&travelOrder=&bID=PCPB&airPortCode=&productCode=AGW071&departureDate=Jun+02%2C+2012&productDesc=7+days+Voyage+of+the+Glaciers+From+Whittier+to+Vancouver

So if this means no inside passage on princess, I know this is totally subjectable but if you had to choose would you pick Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier OR Hubbard Glacier and Inside Passage?

The "inside passage" description means NOTHING. :) All ships sail "inside passage", you can not get to Juneau or Skagway without doing so. Inside Vancouver Island, is sailed by all Vancouver ships, but not by most round trip Seattle ships, which, have the least scenic routing of Alaska cruises, (and the roughest potential).

With any one way, I strongly advocate adding as many extra days as possible. :) Take advantage of being all the way there. :)

I'm confused. The itinerary for my Holland America 14-day cruise (not a btb) specifically says "Inside Passage" ... are you saying this is not true because we sail from Seattle?

:confused: Okay, we are planning to go back to Alaska next 2012.

Last time we went via NCL from Seattle round trip. I have heard that going from Vancouver and ending in Alaska is more scenic.

My question is what cruise line? We generally go with NCL and we are now silver level which has a few perks. But, that being said we are not partial to them.

Do most of the bigger cruise lines go the same path from Vancouver ? I just want to pick the nicest scenery and especially since we have been to Alaska before. We can only go for 7 days. Also, I am thinking June. Not a BIG cold weather fan but can't really afford the later Summer prices. Early June looks like a pretty decent priced trip.

THANKS!:p

:confused: Okay, we are planning to go back to Alaska next 2012.

Last time we went via NCL from Seattle round trip. I have heard that going from Vancouver and ending in Alaska is more scenic.

My question is what cruise line? We generally go with NCL and we are now silver level which has a few perks. But, that being said we are not partial to them.

Do most of the bigger cruise lines go the same path from Vancouver ? I just want to pick the nicest scenery and especially since we have been to Alaska before. We can only go for 7 days. Also, I am thinking June. Not a BIG cold weather fan but can't really afford the later Summer prices. Early June looks like a pretty decent priced trip.

THANKS!:p

At this time, NCL does not do one ways. The one way cruises are with HAL, Princess, RCI, Celebrity. (and some smaller companies??) This is a doable list for you to compare, look at the itinerary, glaciers, ports, time in ports. Figure out if any preference between Whittier/Seward??? With one ways, I also ALWAYS recommend adding time for interior Alaska touring, at least a week. :) Take advantage of being all the way there. :)

Linda - last year we sailed east of Vancouver Island on the way up to Alaska, but on the west side coming back. Hoping it is the same this year because it was a lovely sail with magnificent scenery.

OK - So I'm assuming Budget Queen is not correct about ships sailing from Seattle not having a scenic route? I have confirmed with HAL that we are indeed doing the "inside passage" on the Amsterdam from Seattle.

I continue to be astonished by the power of advertising to try and make one thing seem better than another.

All of Southeast Alaska is the Inside Passage. You cannot get to our cities without sailing 'inside.' The only port city which is on the open ocean is Sitka and even it is surrounded by many small islands. Some courses are going to go to the inside Vancouver Island, true, but all you get is more hours of looking at trees. (And it's apparently less choppy? For me, crossing Charlotte Sound is the place I get seasick and I don't think there's any way to get to Alaska without crossing it.)

I've done the different routes many times on the ferry. There are some spectacular moments on some routes, but I do not believe most cruises take those--the Wrangall Narrows into Petersburg, or the route between Sitka and Juneau. If you want to sit for hours and see up close spectacular waterfalls or see bears feeding on shore or pass through the narrows close enough to touch the trees, take a small vessel cruise.

For the big lines tours, my advice is to select the cruise that gives you the longest port times and visits to at least one of the big glaciers. Otherwise, you're just paying to see more trees and a few distant hanging glaciers atop mountains. (Says someone who loves her trees and glaciers)

OK - So I'm assuming Budget Queen is not correct about ships sailing from Seattle not having a scenic route? I have confirmed with HAL that we are indeed doing the "inside passage" on the Amsterdam from Seattle.

You need to take a look at a map. Any sailing from Seattle that does not go inside Vancouver Island, is significantly less scenic.

My comments are "correct". I certainly know the routings and have sailed the areas, repeatively. Routes are NEVER fixed, just because, one week the cpt sails, "close" to land, doesn't mean they will the following week.

Per the above post, The details for the Amsterdam, are, with the southbound sailing outside, which is open ocean. Going Inside Vancouver Island, on the northbound, is also less desireable, of the two directions, due to a significant portion being done at night, but is very nice scenic sailing. It is worthwhile to stay out late and be up early, I am always out at least 1/2 hour prior to the posted dawn time. This is a common area for orcas, and I've always seen them.

We did the Southbound Island Princess from Whittier to Vancouver (with Glacier Bay and Hubbard) and it was absolutely fantastic. I never wanted to go inside the scenery was just so amazing.

Archived