Silver Moon's 24-Passenger Excursion?

candydane

Is the only difference for Silver Moon the number of people that can go on the excursion? Is the actual cruise day the same on both catamarans?

We have been on the 24 pax one and we had a great day. I was just about to do another booking for next March and then saw this thread and it got me thinking. How nice the boat looks "from a distance" doesn't bother me. Who sees that when you're on it? I remember it being nice and large and best of all clean. Is it worth the extra $23 pp just to let 12 less people on it? If they are the same experience (same stops, same food/drink, etc.) I'd really like to know this.

Thanks.

Is the only difference for Silver Moon the number of people that can go on the excursion? Is the actual cruise day the same on both catamarans?

We have been on the 24 pax one and we had a great day. I was just about to do another booking for next March and then saw this thread and it got me thinking. How nice the boat looks "from a distance" doesn't bother me. Who sees that when you're on it? I remember it being nice and large and best of all clean. Is it worth the extra $23 pp just to let 12 less people on it? If they are the same experience (same stops, same food/drink, etc.) I'd really like to know this.

Thanks.

I have been on both of the catamarans and both of their cruises are the SAME, except for the # of people and style catamaran.Crew, drinks, service, and tour is still tops!!!! I personally like the smaller catamaran which books only 12 people. It has these 2 crow's nests jutting out over the water in front that are so much fun to sit in while sailing. Everyone was always wanting a turn to sit in them.Really was fun.Larger cat.for 24 people doesn't have these. The smaller catamaran seems more luxurious to me than their larger one for 24 people. Smaller one has a beautiful, luxurious, covered interior which is great, especially if it rains!You don't get wet!!!!!!! The larger cat. has just has these plastic flaps they can lower down that don't really keep the rain off and worse,you can't see through them if it's raining. That happened to us last time. A real bummer. I remember freezing, being beat by the rain, and not being able to even see where we were because of the plastic flaps... they needed a nice windshield like on the smaller cat. I will always book the smaller catamaran tour because of the style of this catamaran. My experience last time(our 3rd sailing with Silver Moon)) was upsetting only because they switched our boat at the last minute just before boarding. We had been booked for 6 months with the 12 person tour and ....there were 6 people in our party. So we were basically taking up half the boat. Well, they decided to switch us to the larger catamaran but only still have 12 people aboard. They needed to run two 12-person tours that day....That sounded OK, until we got onboard and saw the difference. Huge difference in quality in my opinion. I like the smaller cat.. also because it was covered when it started to rain. When we passed the other Silver Moon cat that day, they were all dry inside, while we were getting pelted. Of course that's the 1st time we've ever been rained on. Thanks goodness it didn't rain the entire tour. We will always book with Silver Moon...fantastic tour.... but will insist we get the cat. we signed up for and not be switched to another boat. I'll make that clear when we make the reservation. For me, it's worth the extra money to be on the 12 person tour with that particular catamaran.Hope this helps!Everyone has their own opinion about boats! Sorry for the long reply.... Have a great cruise. You'll love Silver Moon!!!!!

Thanks.

They are more or less the same, or very similar.

Thanks for the info Snorkel Mom. We actually wound up booking today with Cool Runnings. They have a max of 12 people too ($90 pp). They also get good reviews on here and so far with their communication I'm very impressed. No deposit required (just a CC to secure). Works for me!

Thanks for the info Snorkel Mom. We actually wound up booking today with Cool Runnings. They have a max of 12 people too ($90 pp). They also get good reviews on here and so far with their communication I'm very impressed. No deposit required (just a CC to secure). Works for me!

We have sailed with Cool Runnings also...years ago but with lots of people onboard (more than 24)....But we still had a blast. I loved their crew!!!!!! You should have a great time with only 12 onboard.They're obviously trying to compete with Silver Moon's 12 person tour. I would love to hear back from you after your cruise to see what you thought of them. Have a fabulous time. Isn't cruising great????

The Silver Moon does not stop in any shallow water. You will not be able to stand nor touch the bottom at any of their stops.

You do not have to get off the boat and some people stay on. At the turtle stop you'll be able to see the turtles from the boat although not as clearly as wearing a mask underwater. Unlike other excursions where the main attraction is the snorkeling or swimming with the turtles, on the Silver Moon I think the main attraction is the boat itself and the stops are just parts of the experiance.

Also, they will provide you with a snorkeling vest that will help you float and swim on the water if you need it. And for general swimming before/after lunch (away from the more crowded turtle and snorkeling area - depending on where you stop) you can also wear the snorkel vest, a life jacket or a float toy such as a "noodle" if you'd like to swim a bit in the deep water by the boat (it is very nice swimming!).

We will be in Barbados in January. This tour sounds wonderful, but I have a question about the seating. Are there chairs with backs? My hubby has a bad back, and he would need some support during the duration of the trip. Of course, he could swim (former lifeguard) to stretch out...but one never knows when the back decides to check out!

We will be in Barbados in January. This tour sounds wonderful, but I have a question about the seating. Are there chairs with backs? My hubby has a bad back, and he would need some support during the duration of the trip. Of course, he could swim (former lifeguard) to stretch out...but one never knows when the back decides to check out!

Yes- but all the seats are in the central area, mostly covered. Only exception is that on the Silver Moon II there are seats with backs at the forward end of the two pontoons. They currently have the Silver Moon II which is usually, bot not always used for the smaller 12 person group and the Silver moon III which is used for the larger group. The Silver Moon III has more regular seating than the II. Here are pictures from several trips with Silver Moon - if you look through them there are some photos around the boats:

March 2008 Silver Moon II

March 2009 Silver Moon II - Not in separate gallery so look at captions

March 2010 Silver Moon II

March 2011 Silver Moon III

No one has mentioned access on this thread. How hard is it to get back into the boat from the water? I let gravity put me into the water - but climbing back out has been a problem in the past without a sturdy ladder or stairs. Any pictures showing the ladder?

Catamarans like Silver Moon generally have two methods of getting into and out of the water. They have a short metal ladder than is lowered into the water for access at the back of one of the pontoons. This in turns leads up to a small platform at the back of the pontoon with steps leading into the boat. Here is a link to a photo showing this, which is what Silver Moon uses:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Galaxy-March-2008-Caribbean/Barbados-and-Day-Sail-on-the/5625909_WgQJC#345665923_ZB2hb

The person on the ladder is probably standing on the bottom, or second from the bottom, rung in the photo. Often the staff is there to take items from you onto the boat (fins, mask, etc) so you don't have to carry them on and to lend a hand if needed. One other nice feature of using the entry to the aft pontoon platform on Silver Moon's boats is that they have a hose there with fresh water to rince a little of the salt water off before you get onto the boat.

Most also have a steep staircase in the front of the boat, between the two netting areas, that can be lowered into the water. While this is easier to climb up it still requires one to get onto the bottom step which is no easier than climbing up onto the ladder as the steps don't usually extend very far into the water. Once on the bottom step it is probably a little easier to climb up than the next rung or two of the aft ladder. Silver Moon has such a set of steps but I've never seen them using them on any of our 5 trips with them.

In the following photo, taken from the Silver Moon, you can see the Cool Runnings boat with the ladder extended into the water. It could be they were using this because of the large group on board (you can see how many people are swimming there and some are still on the boat). http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Caribbean-March-15-2010/Barbados-and-the-Silver-Moon/11693556_95SfG#825043798_JMAZd I've usually seen the steps used on catamaran sailings with larger numbers of guests, like the Cook Runnings photo in the picture, as the steps make it quicker and less messy to get larger groups in and out of the water.

Also, on all of these Catamarans the rest rooms are located down in the pontoons and accessed via a ladder through a hatchway to get down into the pontoon and back up.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

About 3 years ago a group of ladies and I did this excursion and loved it. We had booked the 24 person tour but there only ended up being about 11 folks on the boar. I'm not sure which boat we were on but the day and service was fabulous. The ladies still talk about that being their favorite excursion ever.

One thing I would ask is where they pick you up at. It is a long walk from the ship to the outside of security gates. If they can come in where the taxis/tour buses are it is better but if you have to go to the road outside the gates it can be tiring. (At least if you aren't in fairly good physical condition.) It is a great tour and I would recommend it. I would love to do it again some day.

• 2 months later...

I'm curious how many of you booked the trip yourselves with Silver Moon or booked w/ your cruise line. I rarely book with the cruise line as I feel like it is more expensive, potentially more crowded, plus I like the flexibility of being on our own. But I tried to book direct with Silver Moon and was told they were contracted with Royal Caribbean and I had to book through them. Of course RCI's website is down at the moment so I can't even get more info!

Just wanted to get an idea of people that booked thru RCI and was the excursion of the same quality.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

I'm curious how many of you booked the trip yourselves with Silver Moon or booked w/ your cruise line. I rarely book with the cruise line as I feel like it is more expensive, potentially more crowded, plus I like the flexibility of being on our own. But I tried to book direct with Silver Moon and was told they were contracted with Royal Caribbean and I had to book through them. Of course RCI's website is down at the moment so I can't even get more info!

Just wanted to get an idea of people that booked thru RCI and was the excursion of the same quality.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

This is the first time I've ever heard of Silver Moon doing business through a cruise line rather than direct. When is the cruise you're trying to book for?

March 2, 2012. I was very surprised...have never been turned down to book individually, but the Silver Moon rep said they have contracted w/ RCI. She looked up the dates for me, and gave me the excursion code to use w/ RCI. I did end up booking it this morning, so hopefully it is a good one!

March 2, 2012. I was very surprised...have never been turned down to book individually, but the Silver Moon rep said they have contracted w/ RCI. She looked up the dates for me, and gave me the excursion code to use w/ RCI. I did end up booking it this morning, so hopefully it is a good one!

Just curious which excursion it is? I didn't see anything about Silver Moon on the list, is it called a different name?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

We booked directly and we were on an RCI cruise. We were a party of 10.

It doesn't reference Silver Moon in the description, but the title is: Swim with Turtles, Shipwrecks, Snorkel and Beach. The code was BBC3.

This sounds interesting. From the description I'd say it is not the "normal" Silver Moon excursion that they give when booked directly with them as that is longer, includes lunch, and doesn't go to the beach. It will be interesting to hear how the rest of the experience compares - so please let us know when you return from your cruise.

It also appears that there must be different companies who RCI contract this excursion with. On our next cruise, with Celebrity, they have the same excursion description and code in our excursion brochure but I know that both the Silver Moon boats are doing their normal private excursion that day. So a different company must be doing the BBC3 excursions for our cruise date.

I know that cruise lines used to use COOL RUNNINGS and for a while you couldn't book with them directly. I believe you can now, so guess that's changed.

We are using El Tigre this time. I liked what I saw on their website and wanted something with a very EASY access to the water since I've had some surgeries this last year and really want to take it easy, yet participate.

Maybe that is the difference then...switching from Cool Runnings to Silver Moon as their contract company. Regardless, I'm sure we will have a great time. We are a group of 8 who tends to have fun wherever we go. :) I will definitely try to remember to come back and let you know our experience. Thanks everyone for your input!

DH and I will be going to Barbados in December. I was thinking about Silver Moon. I was specifically worried about shade. I am a redhead and burn just thinking about the sun so snorkeling will be plenty, sitting on the boat in the sun is not good. Which of their 2 boats would give me more options for shade?

DH and I will be going to Barbados in December. I was thinking about Silver Moon. I was specifically worried about shade. I am a redhead and burn just thinking about the sun so snorkeling will be plenty, sitting on the boat in the sun is not good. Which of their 2 boats would give me more options for shade?

Sorry, computer problems.

For those that have booked with Silver Moon, is the only way to pay the downpayment by fax giving out your CC # and security code ?

I have issues with this and they will not accept a telephone call with me providing the info.

Just wondering how others have paid the downpayment.

Archived