C2 or Aft FV for Alaska??

phinn

Currently booked in C2 midship for Alaska northbound cruise. Spotted an Aft FV 8181 corner cabin that opened up and now I am torn. Is it worth the view to switch? Extra perks don't really matter, just curious when we cruise the inside passage and Hubbard Glacier, will I still have good views since this is port side corner? Anyone been in this cabin for Alaska? More important, will they allow me to upgrade since it is $700 more than what I paid for C2?

Currently booked in C2 midship for Alaska northbound cruise. Spotted an Aft FV 8181 corner cabin that opened up and now I am torn. Is it worth the view to switch? Extra perks don't really matter, just curious when we cruise the inside passage and Hubbard Glacier, will I still have good views since this is port side corner? Anyone been in this cabin for Alaska? More important, will they allow me to upgrade since it is $700 more than what I paid for C2?

I'd go for it. They have really large balconies and wonderful cabins. If they have it listed it means it's available after the time they allot for families.

I'm in the same situation except I have a C1 aft 8172 and can get 7199. It's about $650pp more and we think we won't do it, but it is THE cabin we wanted when we booked our Alaska cruise a year ago! If it was only a couple of hundred more we would do it, but $1300 ( we are friends so we'd each only pay $650 ) is a lot more than we'd hoped we'd have to spend to get it. Our C1 went from $1799 when we booked to $2615 now. We are really bummed! I grabbed it and put it on hold so we could discuss it, but I think we'll stay where we are. :(

We booked March 2010 and we paid just over $1300pp for our C2. Now it's over $800pp more. I'm at work and can't get hubby on the phone so I will talk to him tonight. I really don't want to spend anymore either, but I just can't get this out of my head. I have always wanted to try aft and to find a corner one open with such a large balcony, I can almost see the snow capped mountains now!! Good luck to you cruisin' mama

Well I just spoke to our TA's office. She is out of town and the person helping me called X and was told that I could upgrade, but if a "family" needed it, I would be bumped out. I have a great midship cabin now and to take that risk this far out just isn't worth it for me so I guess I'm staying put. I would think that X should have policy once they open those rooms up for grabs, it is what it is. If not, don't open till last minute. What an emotional ride this afternoon. Hope your luck is better!! Oh well, more money for excursions and umbrella drinks.

If you have the opportunity to grab a corner FV, run don't walk. It won't be there for very long!!

We gave up an aft C1 on the Connie in March. The balcony and the cabin were outstanding!! We had 2 Sail A Way Parties. For one there was 12 of us.

It is fabulous having that extra sitting room with an extra TV.

We realized that it was a small chance of getting that on another cruise...so we cherished the memories.:)

The amneties in a concierge class don't come near the enjoymentt of a corner FV.

We had cabin 7202 on our Alaska cruise on Infinity last year. I believe we paid $200pp more than the mid-ship cabin we had booked. Our cruise went through Tracy Arm so we told ourselves the extra money was our "excursion" for Tracy Arm. The room and balcony were nice since we were traveling with family they could all come to our balcony. That same room came open for our Baltic cruise this year for $500pp more and we passed on it. If it were close to the same price I would do it.. but didn't think it was worth that much extra.

We had 9197 last year for the Seattle round trip cruise. The ship makes a 180 degree turn and you always have a 270 degree view of everything! Loved it so much we booked 8181 for the same trip this year!

We had 9197 last year for the Seattle round trip cruise. The ship makes a 180 degree turn and you always have a 270 degree view of everything! Loved it so much we booked 8181 for the same trip this year!

We had cabin 7202 on our Alaska cruise on Infinity last year. I believe we paid $200pp more than the mid-ship cabin we had booked. Our cruise went through Tracy Arm so we told ourselves the extra money was our "excursion" for Tracy Arm. The room and balcony were nice since we were traveling with family they could all come to our balcony. That same room came open for our Baltic cruise this year for $500pp more and we passed on it. If it were close to the same price I would do it.. but didn't think it was worth that much extra.

We have the same thinking....if it were just $200-$300pp more we'd jump at it because it is such a great cabin, but at $650pp it just doesn't seem worth it. $1300 will buy alot of drinks or excursions and we have a great aft C1 already so it's not like we'll end up in a bad cabin if we don't switch. But I'd sure like to be able to take it!!!

I was so excited I forgot my math. It comes to $430pp more. I feel like I have the angel/devil sitting on my shoulder.... "go for it", "save your money", "you may not get to do this again", "what if you get bumped?" Is that really possible? If I give up a CC midship for this (which I so believe is worth it) and they bump me, I could end up who knows where??? That's what scares me... decisions, decisions

I was so excited I forgot my math. It comes to $430pp more. I feel like I have the angel/devil sitting on my shoulder.... "go for it", "save your money", "you may not get to do this again", "what if you get bumped?" Is that really possible? If I give up a CC midship for this (which I so believe is worth it) and they bump me, I could end up who knows where??? That's what scares me... decisions, decisions

It's a great cabin, but not sure it's worth $430/pp more. One of my favorite photos from the last time I went to Alaska was one of a woman on the balcony of a corner FV sitting in a lounger with her back to the scenery reading a book--while we were cruising Tracy Arm Fjord, one of the most gorgeous places on the planet! For $430/pp, you could take a great flightseeing excursion and still have some left over for drinks.

I wouldn't worry about being bumped out if you decide to go for it. If they bump you, they have to give you an equivalent or better room.

Archived