Hotel Canceled Due to Overbooking???

tlk1013

I just received a phone call from my Ft Lauderdale hotel informing me that my "guaranteed" reservation will be canceled. The hotel overbooked and they want me to relocate. Anyone else have a problem for April 30? It appears that every hotel in Ft Lauderdale has oversold.

I just received a phone call from my Ft Lauderdale hotel informing me that my "guaranteed" reservation will be canceled. The hotel overbooked and they want me to relocate. Anyone else have a problem for April 30? It appears that every hotel in Ft Lauderdale has oversold.

Did they say they would find you another hotel at the same rate or less than you booked. I would talk with their manager if they are not following up on this for you.

Keith

The hotel has agreed to place me in another hotel. The "substitute" hotel is a 2-star and they were a 4-star. I'm just not very happy!:(

I would talk with the manager to see if there is anyway they can get you into their hotel. Specifically, ask them why they can't bump someone else. If that doesn't work out and you can't find another hotel that you are pleased with I would ask what they will do for you such as paying for one night at that hotel and making that night free for you.

Keith

I'm curious - did you book through an Online Travel Agency (Expedia, etc)?

If so, what you are experiencing is quite common. The OTAs pay the hotel only a fraction of what you pay them, and right or wrong, when the hotel is in a pinch, of course they are going to "Bump" you, not someone paying them full rate.

Always book hotel direct, or toll free #, if it is a national chain..

If you did book direct, then correct, fight it out with the manager.

This happened to us for a stay in a university town for a graduation. The hotel (moderate priced chain) overbooked so by the time we arrived at 8:30, our room was given away. :eek: DH was furious as we were traveling with our elderly mother and we had called at 4:00 to let the hotel know our arrival time. We had booked thru the hotel web site.

They sent us to another hotel which was a total dive in a crappy part of town. (No wonder they had a couple rooms open) We refused to stay and drove only about 10 min and found a Sheraton which had rooms. We sent copies of our bill to the hotel manager as well as the headquarters of our original hotel. We also handed a copy of our hotel bill to the clerk at the desk of the original hotel before we left town. (manager wouldn't answer our phone calls) Within 7 days of being home, the corporate office called us and sent us the amount for the new hotel we chose as well as a couple nights comp for our next visit at their hotel.

I guess finding out now is a lot better than the night you arrive. Good luck.

Call ther corporate office and complain.

Which hotel is this?

It is odd that a hotel would call you ahead of time and tell you they are overbooked.

It is industry standard for hotels to overbook at about a 2% rate if possible but they NEVER tell the guest ahead of time. Ever.

A guarantee does not guarantee you a room. It guarantees you a reservation.

That the hotel called you ahead of time is extremely out of character for a hotel.

You can refuse to be moved and they will not move you.

Which hotel is this?

It is odd that a hotel would call you ahead of time and tell you they are overbooked.

It is industry standard for hotels to overbook at about a 2% rate if possible but they NEVER tell the guest ahead of time. Ever.

A guarantee does not guarantee you a room. It guarantees you a reservation.

That the hotel called you ahead of time is extremely out of character for a hotel.

You can refuse to be moved and they will not move you.

Unfortunately while this doesn't happen often it does.

Most hotels do overbook.

Sometimes, they realize they have way overbooked which can happen if there is a big group in the hotel or some major event. It happens. It happened to us. The key is that the hotel should find another hotel (ideally comparable but that doesn't always happen) and make it up to you in what they do in terms of offsetting costs at the other hotel.

Keith

Archived