Booking Deluxe Guarantee stateroom

Perhaps our travel agent friends who read this can offer some input.....On Royal's website today, they are offering a "Deluxe Guarantee" stateroom on the Jewel transatlantic on May 6. The actual description (category W) states that the room is 358-384 sq feet, balcony 106 sq feet, and concierge service is included. That is the exact description of a Grand Suite. I booked it, and placed it on a 24-hour hold. On my reservation description, is states "Jr Suite Guarantee." Well, a Jr Suite is not what is being described in the advertised offer....it's a Grand Suite description. So, I called RCCL, and they informed me that, Yes, they COULD assign a Jr Suite with a "deluxe guarantee." But, when I asked WHY a Grand Suite description was used in the actual wording, they didn't know. They stated I could receive a Jr Suite (or higher) category, but that the Jr Suite WAS possible. That would be fine if they didn't list the specifications of a Grand Suite, but otherwise, it's false advertising. So, I will more than likely let the reservation cancel, as the price is fantastic for a Grand, but not as grand for a Jr.....

Perhaps our travel agent friends who read this can offer some input.....On Royal's website today, they are offering a "Deluxe Guarantee" stateroom on the Jewel transatlantic on May 6. The actual description (category W) states that the room is 358-384 sq feet, balcony 106 sq feet, and concierge service is included. That is the exact description of a Grand Suite. I booked it, and placed it on a 24-hour hold. On my reservation description, is states "Jr Suite Guarantee." Well, a Jr Suite is not what is being described in the advertised offer....it's a Grand Suite description. So, I called RCCL, and they informed me that, Yes, they COULD assign a Jr Suite with a "deluxe guarantee." But, when I asked WHY a Grand Suite description was used in the actual wording, they didn't know. They stated I could receive a Jr Suite (or higher) category, but that the Jr Suite WAS possible. That would be fine if they didn't list the specifications of a Grand Suite, but otherwise, it's false advertising. So, I will more than likely let the reservation cancel, as the price is fantastic for a Grand, but not as grand for a Jr.....

That's interesting. I've booked "W" category three times in the past and the description has matched the JS description. Twice we got a JS and once we got a GS. To answer your question, a "W" in my experience has always been a JS or better.

Usually, people who have questions about a "W" are wondering if it's at least a JS because the web site description is confusing and ambiguous. This is the first time that I've seen the question about a "W" include the GS description.

Can it be possible that the quality of Royal's proof reading is getting worse?

I am not a travel agent, but I will add my 2 cents. I certainly do not know why the description reads that way. I do know that W is jr suite or above. At the moment, no jr suite show as available, but one could easily open up. If you will not be happy if assigned a jr suite, you may wish to back out while you can.

Did you decide to let your hold lapse? Or did you book the W?

For whatever it is worth, jr suites are now available again and the W category shows the jr suite description again.

It makes me wonder if Royal's web designer allowed the gty category to show the room description for the category immediately above on the website at that moment. So if jr suites are available, W might show the jr suite description. If jr suites are all booked or held, it might show the GS description (assuming a GS is available). If so, Royal should reprogram the system so rookies are not misled into thinking they are guaranteed a better cabin than they might actually get.

That is the exact wording I have am I have a screen shot of what as offered. When I changed my booking I specifically mentioned the concierge service so hopefully my conversation was recorded for monitoring purposes ect. Yet on my cruises it's shown as a junior suite guarantee yet that is not what I booked or what my screen shot shows as being offered!!!

Don't see that description anywhere.

This is what I see under cat W

Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee

Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area with sofa bed. (282 sq. ft., balcony 74.3 sq. ft.)

Please note: Staterooms 1098 & 1598 have obstructed views.

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a stateroom within a selected category, anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

Don't see that description anywhere.

This is what I see under cat W

Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee

Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area with sofa bed. (282 sq. ft., balcony 74.3 sq. ft.)

Please note: Staterooms 1098 & 1598 have obstructed views.

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a stateroom within a selected category, anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

That's not the description I have for the Adventure which is suites are sold out. Obviously at a point in time they were showing the discription of a Grand Suite guarantee on the Jewel and the Adventure sailing. I took a screen shot of mine. Also whilst I was talking to the rep he could also see the same wording as I had. It was only on my cruises page I had to give him my cruises and the my password for him to see that my cruises were showing junior suite guarantee. Because him web page was also showing the discription of a Grand Suite guarantee. This is the reason why I took a screen shot of their web page. It remains a mystery. Kimberley

That's not the description I have for the Adventure which is suites are sold out. Obviously at a point in time they were showing the discription of a Grand Suite guarantee on the Jewel and the Adventure sailing. I took a screen shot of mine. Also whilst I was talking to the rep he could also see the same wording as I had. It was only on my cruises page I had to give him my cruises and the my password for him to see that my cruises were showing junior suite guarantee. Because him web page was also showing the discription of a Grand Suite guarantee. This is the reason why I took a screen shot of their web page. It remains a mystery. Kimberley

It strikes me less as a mystery and more as a computer glitch.

W has long been jr suite or above, so when the description shows otherwise, I suspect a computer programming error. If so, Royal need to fix it quickly.

Regardless, I hope you get a terrific cabin assignment.

Wendy

I sent an e-mail to Royal, and they got back to me very quickly. They apologized, and said that the room description was confusing, since it is a Jr Suite guarantee. (always possible to get a higher category, but not necessarily). The e-mail stated that they were going to notify someone, and now today I notice the description is back to a Jr Suite description, and not a GS description. I opted out, and let the reservation cancel. I think we will do the Brilliance instead out of Barcelona. Decisions, decisions, LOL.

• 3 years later...

On a related note. We just booked a Deluxe Guarantee, and could end up in a Jr. Suite, Grand Suite, or higher.

Does this mean that if we happen to end up in a Grand Suite or higher, that we will be able to use the Concierge Lounge?

On a related note. We just booked a Deluxe Guarantee, and could end up in a Jr. Suite, Grand Suite, or higher.

Does this mean that if we happen to end up in a Grand Suite or higher, that we will be able to use the Concierge Lounge?

Yes.