Active shoe wear Hawaii/water shoes

bigtoeswim'n

Hi All: I'm shopping for our Dec 2011 cruise on POA. I would like suggestions for shoewear for hiking/water wear. Is there such a thing?

kwbound suggested Jambu. I'm wondering where to buy, online or shops. How do the sizes run. I sure hate the shipping charges going back if they don't fit.

Anyother brands suggested. For alaska, we had over the ankle boots. Don't think that necessary for Hawaii. I want to walk across that crater called the griddle (I think). Thanks to all who reply.

Hi All: I'm shopping for our Dec 2011 cruise on POA. I would like suggestions for shoewear for hiking/water wear. Is there such a thing?

kwbound suggested Jambu. I'm wondering where to buy' date=' online or shops. How do the sizes run. I sure hate the shipping charges going back if they don't fit.

Anyother brands suggested. For alaska, we had over the ankle boots. Don't think that necessary for Hawaii. I want to walk across that crater called the griddle (I think). Thanks to all who reply.[/quote']

I can't speak as far as hiking goes as I'm not a hiker & regular tennies were sufficient for my needs. Water shoes were only needed for us during our Tubing the Ditch excursion. I went swimming @ Waikiki and didn't needs water shoes there. Not sure about other beaches.

Whenever we go to Hawaii I always bring my Cudas water shoes (http://www.cudas.com). I wear them when kayaking, walking along the beach, etc. They're comfortable and they dry quickly.

My new favorite pair of "trekking" shoes are the Ahnu Trinity; love, love, love them! Wore them hiking on Maui, scrambling across the lava fields on the Big Island, and just wandering around Honolulu. We'll be back in Hawaii next month, and you can bet they'll be my go-to shoe!

As far as where to buy, I love Zappos (http://www.zappos.com). Free (and fast) shipping, and super easy returns if something doesn't fit or you don't like it. I don't know if they carry Cudas, but they carry Ahnu.

Happy shoe buying! ;)

Whenever we go to Hawaii I always bring my Cudas water shoes (www.cudas.com). I wear them when kayaking, walking along the beach, etc. They're comfortable and they dry quickly.

My new favorite pair of "trekking" shoes are the Ahnu Trinity; love, love, love them! Wore them hiking on Maui, scrambling across the lava fields on the Big Island, and just wandering around Honolulu. We'll be back in Hawaii next month, and you can bet they'll be my go-to shoe!

As far as where to buy, I love Zappos (www.zappos.com). Free (and fast) shipping, and super easy returns if something doesn't fit or you don't like it. I don't know if they carry Cudas, but they carry Ahnu.

Happy shoe buying! ;)

Thanks for the tip. I went out yesterday to a local shopping mall looking for brand Jambu but didn't see them. I don't mind spending the money, just want the right fit and water/support ability. What I'm concerned about is raining while hiking. Something to give support, not too ugly/ortho-looking but fast drying. That's all.

For Alaska, we had Muck Boots for warmth and water conditions. So glad, too, bc sure 'nuff we ended up walking thru Juneau on a cold rainy day. LOL.

Your suggestion of Ahnu is helping. We sail in Dec 2011, so there's plenty of time. Have a great day.

I can't speak as far as hiking goes as I'm not a hiker & regular tennies were sufficient for my needs. Water shoes were only needed for us during our Tubing the Ditch excursion. I went swimming @ Waikiki and didn't needs water shoes there. Not sure about other beaches.

don't want to hijack thread...but how did you like tubing the ditch (we are trying to decide upon that or waimea canyon)

thanks

I ordered my Jambu shoes online. I know Athleta carries them. I also saw some Jambu's in Macy's a couple of weeks ago. I would look at REI also.

I do love my Jambu's. I'm thinking about ordering another pair in a different color.

Water Shoes

This is a link to Athleta's water shoes. Mine are the Water Diva style, but those Net shoes look really cute too.

Thanks so much for the link Donna. I have been surfing the net concerning watershoes and decided to go with Keen bc they looked to have more support. Have two pairs on the way and will send one back. I've ablso been shopping athleta and will be deciding in a few days. Whew. This eshopping takes effort. LOL. But I know just a few pieces is all I need to be go-to clothes for summer.

Donna, the tops in your Hawaii pic, are they Athleta??

Hi there,

I am booked to do tubing the ditch can you tell me a little about it was it worth it? I am not too adventurus would there be any uncomfortable moments for me my husband willbe with me so I assume we can float close enough together. I know there is a lot of dark caves etc but can you see were your going with the light on the helmet correct. Also did they give you water shoes or do we need to buy some?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks so much for the link Donna. I have been surfing the net concerning watershoes and decided to go with Keen bc they looked to have more support. Have two pairs on the way and will send one back. I've ablso been shopping athleta and will be deciding in a few days. Whew. This eshopping takes effort. LOL. But I know just a few pieces is all I need to be go-to clothes for summer.

Donna' date=' the tops in your Hawaii pic, are they Athleta??[/quote']

Most of my tops were from the Gap. I'm a big Gap fan, especially their outlet store.

Donna

Most of my tops were from the Gap. I'm a big Gap fan, especially their outlet store.

Donna

Hi Donna: So liking this thread. I bought one Gap item tonight. Two Whatever skorts in two different sizes (Athleta) and a black sweater (to replace my fave one lost somewhere on last Mexico cruise. Sigh). Found out there is a Gap store very near me, so I will go and try on a few things to see how the sizes run for additional T-shirts. Thanks for the tips.

For Hawaii we bought online Keens and loved them, I have foot problems with cronic pain and I loved the support the Keens gave me! Plus we did alot of hiking and climbing on the rocky beaches and they were perfect for that!

For Alaska we bought water proof Merrils, love the support they give also!

For Hawaii we bought online Keens and loved them, I have foot problems with cronic pain and I loved the support the Keens gave me! Plus we did alot of hiking and climbing on the rocky beaches and they were perfect for that!

For Alaska we bought water proof Merrils, love the support they give also!

Thanks so much for your comment. I ordered two pairs of Keen Owyhee (size 8.5 B and 9 B) online with zapos. They arrived yesterday. Super fast transaction. I normally wear 8.5, and the shoes seem to be true, so back will go the 9. They look comfortable enough. A bit wide in the toe area. Wish they had a prettier look, but I think that difficult if you have that much support. I'm pleased with purchase. I'll wear to supermarket to break in. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Your welcome bigtoes! Your right, not real cute but very functional!

I also wore them on the plane so less weight in my luggage!

All I brought shoe wise was the keens, a nice pair of flat sandals for dinner and flip flops for everything else and that is all I needed! My husband had sneakers along wiht his keens but the sneakers got all wet one of the first days of rain and never dried out so he couldn't wear them the rest of the trip

A light wieght rain jacket is a must! It will be warm so the lightest weight rain jacket you can get will help.

All of the islands are very laid back, wore shorts and tank tops everywhere.

Dinners I wore a sundress and flat sandals or capris and blouse and my husband wore khaki's and a Hawaiian shirt.

Did need a light sweater, AC was cold in the bars

Have a great time!

Your welcome bigtoes! Your right, not real cute but very functional!

I also wore them on the plane so less weight in my luggage!

All I brought shoe wise was the keens, a nice pair of flat sandals for dinner and flip flops for everything else and that is all I needed! My husband had sneakers along wiht his keens but the sneakers got all wet one of the first days of rain and never dried out so he couldn't wear them the rest of the trip

A light wieght rain jacket is a must! It will be warm so the lightest weight rain jacket you can get will help.

All of the islands are very laid back, wore shorts and tank tops everywhere.

Dinners I wore a sundress and flat sandals or capris and blouse and my husband wore khaki's and a Hawaiian shirt.

Did need a light sweater, AC was cold in the bars

Have a great time!

I wore my Keens for a good part of the day. No break-in time for me. Very comfortable and supportive. They did great in A/C but my feet felt sweaty once in my house w/o AC on. Guess I would be used to that feeling. I'm glad I purchased them. Thanks for the tip on the light-weight rain jacket. Have a great day.

Thanks for the suggestion on all the different shoes for the trip.....we picked up some Keens yesterday.....and my feet felt wonderful as soon as I put them on....I purchased the Whisper ones and DH got the Kenyon ones...we don't leave for several months but I figured this would help this tennis shoe loving girl get use to them....

Thanks for the suggestion on all the different shoes for the trip.....we picked up some Keens yesterday.....and my feet felt wonderful as soon as I put them on....I purchased the Whisper ones and DH got the Kenyon ones...we don't leave for several months but I figured this would help this tennis shoe loving girl get use to them....

Glad you like them. I have read it rains a lot in Hawaii, so that is why I got them. I'm seriously considering walking the Kilauea Iki Craterwith them and just got done watching some youtubes on that. Just don't have room in the suitcase for heavy ankle-high hiking boots.

I think it would be such a cool (neat) thing to hike. Watched a lady walk the trail with flip-flops and she looks much heavier than me and much more out of shape. So, I think they will do fine. Does anyone think this a bad idea?

We had alot of rain and the Keens were perfect! I love walking on the lava rocky beaches and flip flops just don't cut it and the keens were perfect!

May I also suggest bringing a backpack or a beach bag with you, we brought Nalgene refillable water bottles and filled them everyday on the ship to bring with us. Also the ship provides beach towels and I would bring flip flops for those times I didn't want to wear the keens. I also had brought some snacks as we found out on the first day it is really expensive to eat on the islands!

Somewhere else I posted that I wore the same outfit to dinner five different nights! No one noticed, not even my husband! My point is you don't need alot of clothes for this trip, shorts, shirts, bathing suits, cover ups and dinner clothes. Rain coat and a light sweater for the cold dinners and shows!

Have a great time! I am remembering it all as I start my scrap book!

We are really hoping for "not much rain" - we seem to have really good weather when we are on vacation....but I want to be prepared for just about anything.

The keens will be great for me since I can't remember the last time I had a flip flop on my feet....I know....gasp...especially since I live in AZ as well.....

Thanks so much for the suggestions...I don't plan on packing a bunch of clothes....and will definitely bring a backpack to cart around with us.....I have a list of things not to forget going so whenever I'm out I can pick up one or two of the items....

We had alot of rain and the Keens were perfect! I love walking on the lava rocky beaches and flip flops just don't cut it and the keens were perfect!

May I also suggest bringing a backpack or a beach bag with you, we brought Nalgene refillable water bottles and filled them everyday on the ship to bring with us. Also the ship provides beach towels and I would bring flip flops for those times I didn't want to wear the keens. I also had brought some snacks as we found out on the first day it is really expensive to eat on the islands!

Somewhere else I posted that I wore the same outfit to dinner five different nights! No one noticed, not even my husband! My point is you don't need alot of clothes for this trip, shorts, shirts, bathing suits, cover ups and dinner clothes. Rain coat and a light sweater for the cold dinners and shows!

Have a great time! I am remembering it all as I start my scrap book!

mcmommy: You sound like my kind of packer. Light is better. DH and I agree that we each take one carryon roll-on luggage that fits in the compartment overhead. We use compression magic and roll and stuff. Formal wear that sparkles can be stuff just about anywhere. My Dh just takes a black vest, long sleeve button down shirt, tie and very dark jeans with black tennis shoes. He looks formal 'nuff from waist up. Save the trouble of packing a suit. We like traveling light bc of the usual plane delay/cancellation mishaps that happen along the way. Glad to know POA/HI is that formal you could wear the same outfit 5 times to dinner. Hubbie didn't notice??? LOL. I totally, totally understand. Have a great day.

do Keens dry fast? I am looking for sandals for my boys ages 10 and 8....the problem with a lot of water shoes I have bought in the past is they can take forever to dry and a wet squishy shoe is not comfy. There are a lot of us so to save space packing I really need one shoe that will work well for walking around parks, but also protect their feet walking on beaches and in the water, and walking around on the ship too! Any suggestions for something like this. There is one particular style of Teva that is great (have anolder pair for my 6 year old..hand-me-down) but it is very hard to find the bigger Youth sizes in Teva - I have looked EVRYWHERE and given up. I like the Keens but they look a bit heavy and like they might take a long time to dry? We have a month to go for our cruise on POA, and I have all the travel/excusions arranged - working now on packing clothes/shoes for 7 of us for 12 days - Exhausting!

I found out that I didn't even need to take my water shoes. I only took them with me the day we went snorkeling, otherwise I had no need to use them. I lived in flip flops until the day we came home.

On packing, take out half of what you pack and you'll be good to go. I came home with a lot of stuff I never wore and would have had more room for souvenirs if I had done that myself! :rolleyes:

I wore my Keens everyday because we were hiking and exploring lots of beaches and alot of beaches are rocky.

My Keens dried out fast, no problems

I bought them online as it was winter here and I couldn't find any in the stores

Yes, unpack half of what you have packed already! You won't need it!

Have fun

Archived