All things Reflections

Penney80

• 2 weeks later...
The next big event for Celebrity Reflection will be when she is floated backwards in the drydock to allow beginning construction of the next new build for the shipyard which I believe is the Norwegian Breakaway.

April 3, 2012 dry dock flooded in preparation of floating Celebrity Reflection back.

Drydockflooded1.jpg

Checkin for leaks too ! :D LOL

That water looks very dirty! I wonder how well they clean the drydock before filling it. I would suspect that there would be lots of dust, metal grindings, paint overspray, small bits of debris, etc., that if not carefully remove would pollute the river when the drydock gates are opened.

That water looks very dirty! I wonder how well they clean the drydock before filling it. I would suspect that there would be lots of dust, metal grindings, paint overspray, small bits of debris, etc., that if not carefully remove would pollute the river when the drydock gates are opened.

I'm quite sure that MeyerWerft has an excellent history of environmental protection. The dry dock is most likely throughout cleaned before and after it is flooded and drained. Also don't forget that there is a lagoon outside of the dry dock that is also closed up and sealed with a lock gate. That would also prevent excessive contamination of the Elbe River. I wonder if they circulate the lagoon water through some kind of filtration system?

After watching the last 7 ships built here (via webcam of course) they apparently have the procedure down to a science. ;)

Checkin for leaks too ! :D LOL

Since this is the first time the entire ship (minus the bow) has been subjected to water and will be floating off of her keel blocks I am sure 'checking for leaks' is exactly what they are doing!

P.S. The brand new AIDAmar was floated out from her dry dock in the other shed two days ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603428

http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=228

I'm quite sure that MeyerWerft has an excellent history of environmental protection. The dry dock is most likely throughout cleaned before and after it is flooded and drained. Also don't forget that there is a lagoon outside of the dry dock that is also closed up and sealed with a lock gate. That would also prevent excessive contamination of the Elbe River. I wonder if they circulate the lagoon water through some kind of filtration system?

After watching the last 7 ships built here (via webcam of course) they apparently have the procedure down to a science. ;).

My curiosity got the best of me and I read parts of MeyerWerft's sustainability report http://www.meyerwerft.de/pageflip/magazine_en.html?data-name=MW_Umweltbericht_eng

Interesting reading. Not only do they talk about drydock and lagoon water treating (page 37), but they also have information about the supply and disposal systems used on the ships themselves, from waste water treatment to fresh water generation to laundry facilities to energy conservation. This all starts on page 48.

I'm glad you guys are here to interpret these pictures, because I really have no clue what I'm seeing ever LOL

In the photo below we are looking at the far end of the dry dock, away from the large doors that the ships pass through when leaving the building. The aft end of Reflection is at the top left of the image, with the aft balcony staterooms visible as the white area. She is facing away from the camera.

Drydockflooded1.jpg

Originally, the Disney Fantasy was located where the brown water is now visible. In the next photo, the Fantasy appears to be complete, and a partially completed Reflection can be seen in front of her.

cref.jpg

When Fantasy was floated out of the building in January, Reflection was only about 2/3rds long, with the structure abruptly ending as if the ship was sliced in half. The Fantasy had to be moved out of the drydock before Reflection could grow to her full length.

CRcrossection.jpg.

Soon the Reflection will be floated backwards towards the large doors, the dock will be drained, and the large bow section (the pointy end :) ) will be attached, finally completing her entire hull. Then assembly of NCL's Breakaway will begin in front of Reflection.

In August Reflection will be floated backwards out of the building and prepared to be towed down the River Ems to Eemshaven where she will be prepared for her sea trials. After those trials are successfully completed, she will complete her final outfitting in a still to be disclosed location.

I hope this has been helpful.

Another new webcam image today with the cranes more out of the way shows the Celebrity Reflection's stern 'duck tail' and aft facing balconies a little better.

Here are the two most recent webcam images for comparison:

April 3, 2012

Drydockflooded1.jpg

April 4, 2012

CelRefducktail.jpg

I'm glad you guys are here to interpret these pictures, because I really have no clue what I'm seeing ever LOL

Excellent description by Boogs. Well done, and thank you.

Also to help, here are two pictures showing the same aft views of the completed Celebrity Solstice and the Celebrity Reflection (currently under construction):

solstice7.jpg

I understood that the aft part of A ship was there, but i thought it was another ship cuz I thought ours was under all those machines LOL. See, clueless.

This is my first time watching a ship get built (and will be my 1st inaugural sailing ever) so I'm learning the ropes from you guys :-)

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I wish you were on the inaugural so you could come enjoy her right away!

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I wish you were on the inaugural so you could come enjoy her right away!

You are very welcomed! Although I won't be on the inaugural, my wife and I and another couple we vacation often with will be on her second cruise. Enjoy her maiden voyage!

And thanks again to dmwnc1959 for his contributions in documenting her birth.

And thanks again to dmwnc1959 for his contributions in documenting her birth.

You're welcome! And I'm not even going on her, just fascinated watching these things get built from the ground up.

Today another picture, this one taken apparently at night with the entire ship illuminated by the interior lights of the builders hall. The camera angle again is back to showing the port side of the ship (looking from the front of the ship to all the way to the back of the ship). Her name is partly visible near the bottom of the image, and can see the hump balconies about 1/4 of the way from the right edge of the picture.

CelebrityReflectionApril5th2012.jpg

Wife and I booked 12/29 sailing and took a "flyer" booking a hump C2 on the "new" deck... Anyone have any pictures and/or opinions of these cabins? I am starting to think they may be very dark so I wonder if the slightly larger balcony is worth it....

Also, has anyone had any luck booking specialty dining reservations yet? I keep getting the "too close to sailing date" message?!

Wife and I booked 12/29 sailing and took a "flyer" booking a hump C2 on the "new" deck... Anyone have any pictures and/or opinions of these cabins? I am starting to think they may be very dark so I wonder if the slightly larger balcony is worth it....

Also, has anyone had any luck booking specialty dining reservations yet? I keep getting the "too close to sailing date" message?!

This is what you will be dealing with:

the_overhang.jpg

Not for me. The room will also be darker than one with a standard balcony overhang, and every view and photo you take will have to deal with those support poles.

Take a look at this discussion on another website. You might find the comments worth considering.

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1006-celebrity_cruises/20636-celebrity_eclipse_pros_cons_decks_affected_overhang-2.html

As to reservations for specialty restaurants, I would hope they would be available about three months before sail date. Can't say for sure, just a guess from what I have read elsewhere on these boards.

No luck in booking specialty dining yet. When I called Celebrity on Friday they said it was because it was too far out, but I don't think this is the case since I've booked dining much sooner than this on previous cruises. Apparently dining reservations are not available yet. I was told it would be about a month, but the person I spoke with didn't seem to know much.

If by the "new deck", you mean the resort deck, I have stayed in a C2 on the Eclipse. Room 2108 if you want to look. My concern with booking the "same" location on Reflection is that there is more above that room-ie the transition from the pool to the Oceanview Cafe. Also, in looking at the construction pics on the website, this whole deck looks "different". It looks really "short" for lack of a better description.

I initially had the equivalent room booked on Reflection, but changed to an A2 hump. I'm at work now, so don't have our pics, but I'm not sure with the new design they'd be helpful, but we didn't have the obstruction shown in the other post.

We booked 2170 and 2172, mostly based on the perception (guess) that the cabin may be slightly larger and the balcony would likely be a little bigger... I have been going back and forth on it now because of the overhang, but being under the Oceanview Cafe is something else to consider for sure :confused:

We booked 2170 and 2172, mostly based on the perception (guess) that the cabin may be slightly larger and the balcony would likely be a little bigger... I have been going back and forth on it now because of the overhang, but being under the Oceanview Cafe is something else to consider for sure :confused:

The rooms will be identical in size to all the others. The balconies will be larger, however. The photo shows similar staterooms as you have booked, with the divider panel between them folded to provide access to each stateroom's balcony. Also visible is the support pole for the overhang behind the gentleman sitting at the table.

Some people have reported scraping noises early in the morning as the crew moves chairs around in preparation for the day's buffet activity.

You might also find this other thread titled "Advantage/Disadvantage to Hump cabins?" informative: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31816635

DSC_0016-1.jpg

Archived