Booking Equinox to Med - Best cabin for 2 adults and 2 teens?

Scarlette

I wish we could manage two connecting rooms, but we can't. I was looking at those 1A rooms with the extended balconies. I see 9266 is available (it has a solid triangle) which means it sleeps 1 on the sofa bed. Where does the 4th sleep? It says some rooms have trundle beds? Is it better to get a room that has a sleeper sofa and a pullman?

This is for June of 2012 to the Med and most rooms are still available, so I have my choice....I do want one of those extended balconies people of talking about.:)

any suggestions for a family with 2 teens?

I wish we could manage two connecting rooms, but we can't. I was looking at those 1A rooms with the extended balconies. I see 9266 is available (it has a solid triangle) which means it sleeps 1 on the sofa bed. Where does the 4th sleep? It says some rooms have trundle beds? Is it better to get a room that has a sleeper sofa and a pullman?

This is for June of 2012 to the Med and most rooms are still available, so I have my choice....I do want one of those extended balconies people of talking about.:)

the cabins barely fit 2 people comfortably, I can't imagine having 4 in one, I'd get a balcony room for yourself & DH & put the kids in an inside room across the hall. There are also what are FV rooms that fit more people, but I think they try & sell them to families of 5 first.

We priced a balcony and an inside, and decided that we didn't save that much by booking the inside. So we booked two connecting 2B balcony rooms for our upcoming Med cruise on the Equinox. We are traveling with two kids, ages 14 and 10.

I have cruised a few times with 3 in a cabin and it is in no way comfortable. That said, we've had fantastic cruises. LOTS of wine helps :D Personally, agree that you'll have a much better time with 2 cabins.

By the way... the cabins that sleep 4 have an upper berth in addition to the couch.

I don't think they will let you book four in a room unless it is one of the rooms with an upper berth, so you may not get both the extended balcony and the berth. Four in a room is very, very tight quarters -- not enough storage, not enough privacy. If you end up doing it, suggest that you consider using the showers in the Aqua Spa sometimes, as it will help with the crowding issue.

People always say "get 2 cabins" when they answer questions like this....but you've already said you can't. So, there are a few 1As (bigger balconies) which have the square and triangle symbols to indicate a sofa bed and a pullman.

9237,9270,8230,8279 are some of them. Can you get one of those? We have one of them booked for our Equinox cruise. :)

I know that you said you can't afford two connecting cabins, but the suggestion to get one verandah and one inside cabin is a good one.

We did that last year when we travelled with 2, 16 year old girls and it worked well.

I think you will be VERY crowded otherwise.

If you do end up booking one cabin, I would recommend putting yourself on a wait list for the FV cabins. You can also watch for when they are released for general booking. My DW and I got one for our Baltic cruise when they were opened for general booking. They opened them for general booking about 3 weeks before final payment was due. There are still some available for many of the Baltic cruises this summer that are close to or past final payment. The Mediterranean sailings may have more families, so you may have to be quicker there or be on a wait list.

We feel strongly enough about the need for two rooms that we would book two insides before we put four in a balcony. Also, you need to look at the actual price comparison. For example, I just looked at pricing for the 10 day Equinox Med cruise in June 2012. If you put 4 in a 2D cabin, the 3rd and 4th cost $1299 pp. An inside is $1599 pp. So it costs $600 extra dollars for the second room, gets you twice as much space and two bathrooms. Also remember that if you get some sort of OBC, whether it's from your TA or some other promotion, you may be able to get the OBC for each of the two rooms (but not the 3rd or 4th in the same room). So that may further reduce the cost differential.

When we book two rooms, we always manage to get as many OBC's as possible for each room.

If the OP really can't afford two rooms, that's fine. But I think often people assume that there is a greater savings for 4 in a room than is often the case.

Archived