cost macchu pichu shore excursion

greyskier

I did it years ago as a separate tour along with a sail down the Amazon out of Iquitos, Peru. I would do it as a separate vacation, as there is much to see in Peru. HALs price is outrageous.

Agree. Even with air fare from UK we'd have 2 or 3 weeks seeing more of South America for probably less than HAL's price.

Edited by chrispb

Definitely consider doing it as a separate land tour and not part of a cruise. Peru is a beautiful country and there is much to see. It can take a few days to acclimate to the altitude so a quick in and out to Machu Picchu is not ideal. We did a land tour this past May that included the Amazon, Machu Picchu, Peru , Ecuador and the Galapagos--trip of a lifetime!!

We just returned from the Statendam's 2013 Incan Empires cruise which included 3 days in Lima. Many on our large CC Roll Call went to Machu Pichu, using various vendors. I was in charge of our Meet/Greet activities; we held a second meeting after Lima to welcome those who joined us there but also to hear how everyone's excursions had worked out so far.

I think everyone was happy with what they'd selected for Machu Pichu. We had some who opted for the HAL standard excursion, some who selected HAL's deluxe version of that same excursion (different hotel, not sure what else), some who used a private travel agent, even some who did it totally on their own. As soon as I can, I'll get as much information as I can put together from everyone's choices for all of the shore excursions onto our travel blog (link in my signature) but temporarily, even though the thread is long, I'd suggest you scroll through the Roll Call thread for our cruise which is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734162

I didn't go to Machu Picchu; I have major altitude problems of longstanding duration so I know my limitations, but my DH opted for HAL's standard excursion. He was pleased with the experience, but would have liked a little less time spent on meals and "free time" (aka shopping) in favor of more time to explore the ruins. He liked the hotel, food, transportation, etc.; arrangements worked out very well. But the people who used an outside vendor were happy too, from what they said at the meet/greet. Part of the reason that their expenses were lower was that their tour was shorter, but when you go that far from the ship on your own, getting back the day before the ship leaves is not a bad thing. (HAL's version adds an extra night, with a walking tour of Lima on that last day, before returning to the ship just an hour or so before sail-away.) The people who just arranged their own transportation certainly spent less, but I believe they'd been there before and knew what they needed.

Pooling the comments I heard, this is a very strenuous trip. Several people on my DH's trip opted to get a cab back from the airport when they returned to Lima, skipping the walking tour and meal in Lima; they were just too tired to do another thing. Earlier in the cruise, when I stopped by their desk for some information I heard the shore excursion manager try to talk a couple out of going; the gentleman was using a walker and she was explaining that once they got to the ruins he wouldn't be able to go up the slopes to see anything. He was convinced that there were museums and displays at the base; she said not, and my DH confirmed upon his return that there really isn't; you'll need to climb rocky steps of many heights, up and down to experience this marvelous place; it's not easy! But everyone I talked to thought it was worth it, whatever choice they'd made.

The one really annoying thing that many mentioned is that their own guides were often interrupted by total strangers, on their own apparently, wanting information about very basic things--tickets, maps, etc. When time is so limited, you want the guides you've paid for focused on your tour! But because this happened so frequently it suggests that for the total do-it-yourself-ers, a lot of preparation is needed before you go because signage and interpretative displays are not prevalent once you arrive.

If you decide to do it totally on your own there are many things to work out first, if you are to get the most out of it, my husband said; you'll need transportation between the major transportation venues of plane and train. There are busses that move people around but they require reservations, timing to match your scheduled train, plane; backup plans for unexpected events, etc. But it can be done, it seems, if you have time to plan it all out carefully. Or consider one of the private travel agents; you'll find some phone numbers and such at the link I provided above.

Our experience upon arrival in Lima is that the ship's schedule is not the local official's schedule; the ship waited more than an hour for the scheduled local officials to come aboard and clear the ship to allow passengers to leave. If you're making your own arrangements, on your own, or with an independent agent, don't schedule your travel arrangements too close to the ship's arrival time. ( I did hear that the independent travel agent that some of our Roll Call used stayed on top of things, rescheduling transportation for her group when she realized that the ship didn't clear on time but if you're on your own that could be a problem.)

Another suggestion I might make is that you don't want to focus so much on Machu Picchu that you neglect planning (and budgeting!) for your other ports. There's a lot to do in all of these ports! Some activities we selected I think could have only been done on a ship tour; we loved going to see the banana processing at a village co-operative. I'm sure that part could have been arranged on our own, but the visit to the school on that same co-op property, meeting the children, seeing how their village system works--we couldn't have gotten access to that on our own. But we were very pleased with some of the independent things we did as well; I loved going out to the International School in Panama City (where Fort Clayton used to be) on my own; I used the Hop On, Hop Off bus. Spend some time in research before you go; you'll be amazed, I think, at the variety that these Central America/South American ports offer.

Edited by Spinner2

In 2012 I was on the Veendam repositioning from Buenos Aires to New York. It was a great cruise. DH and I decided that we wanted to go to Machu Picchu but HAL's cost was way out of line.

HAL wanted $3200 for the Basic Package and $4300 for the Luxury Package. Both involved two nights off the ship, leaving the day we arrived in Lima and rejoining the ship in Trujillo, Peru on the third day.

I did lots of research. I actually contacted a luxury tour company that has a big & in their name and asked what they would charge for a tour involving three nights off the ship with one night in the Sacred Valley, one night at the Sanctuary Lodge, and the third night at the Monasterio Hotel in Cusco. They would make all the arrangements, meet us at the port on the second day in Lima (thus allowing us to tour Lima on the first day there), and deliver us to the ship in Guayaquil on day four.

Their price, staying a 5* hotels for three nights came out to half the price of HAL's luxury package. We were the only two on the tour and it was customized to our needs.

It was great. We were treated royally and I am really glad we did it that way. They took care of every detail. I realize we could have done it less expensively, but we chose to do it this was and we were happy we did.

It was thoroughly enjoyable.

Anyone who wants further information may email me and I would be happy to provide more details.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Spinner2.... thanks for the up to date information. I am looking at a cruise with that as an option and your thoughtful discussion will make me think about it carefully. Altitude is not a problem with me.... I live at 6,500 and often get up to about 11,000.... but the walking may be another issue.

This is one bucket list place I may just have to scratch off the list.

Susan

We are considering the March 2015 Inca Empire cruise and would sail from Lima tonSan Diego. We would be interested in knowing more about a US travel package for a pre cruise trip to Machu Pichu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD