Our cabin is double booked????

Pilot70D

I am hoping you get a good deal but also hope you'll let us know if you ever find out what happened.

We book most of our cruises on the day booking opens up & choose a specific stateroom. We check often on the booking but do not see any way to know if there has been a double-booking issue!

Otherwise why not pay less & take a category guarantee?

--Good Luck!

They did sweeten it. By paying the $10,000 for the big suite next door :)

LOL--my point is that if I want to get a cabin at a date closer to departure, my choices are limited because others have booked their cabins. That's why people book early... If it is already 'booked' it SHOULD cost more because it IS occupied by someone else. That increased price should be given back to the occupant who booked it in the first place since they are being displaced. If the cruiseline can't or won't look at this issue and establish protocol's for people who have made bookings in good faith for cabin's that are reassigned-- then it's clear this is not a concern for them. :eek:

The same thing happened to us on the Millie years ago. We booked the same cabin (close to yours) while on the ship, transferred the reservation to our ta and sent the deposit upon returning home and one month later was advised that due to not submitting the deposit timely the cabin was given to someone else. The deposit was timely and the ta and x each blamed the other for an accounting mistake. While they offered us alot of unsatisfactory options , we insisted upon a upgrade to a suite. The ta did not want to take responsibility (last time 8 or 9 cruises ago we used that ta) and x finally gave us the upgrade. Stick to your guns if you didn't do anything wrong.

I'm not sure why you thought it was your TA's fault. When you booked the cabin while you were on the ship, why didn't you put down a deposit at that time? I've never heard of being able to do an onboard booking without a deposit (albeit a reduced deposit, but a deposit all the same). If you simply put it on a courtesy hold, those are holds are released 24-72 hours later (depends on specific cruise). It sounds like by the time you returned home and made your deposit, the cabin was already released

Just wondering....

Sort of similar thing happened to us. We booked 6145 on the Summit for a b2b January 29th. We had booked the cabin in February 2010. Put down deposit etc. In July or so, noticed that the cabin had switched to 6146. Could not get 6145 back for both weeks, never got a straight answer, ended up having to switch cabins in the middle of the b2b, but we took our fabulous butler with us! Never did figure out what happened, no compensation, but at least had that wonderful cabin for both weeks, port and starboard! Those 2 cabins are nothing like any other S1 cabin on the ship. The bathroom alone is to die for...a kept secret! Can you get 6146? The cabin makes up for it's location and you get the butlers that service the penthouse, and they are the creme of the crop! Try for upgrade, but if not take OB credit but try to get the 6146!

OP,

I'd take 6131/6132 over the 45/46 any day of the week. I've been in (but not stayed in) both configurations. We were in 6144 and were in 6132 every afternoon with friends. The balcony is super huge, bigger than the 45/46 and the cabins (31/32) don't feel like a dungeon.

We have had a SS on another Millie class ship and think you at least deserve the same or better.

I would hope that before you sail something can be worked out to your satisfaction.

Frankly I am puzzled too because we sat in the future cruise person's office and looked at the cabin availability on-line with him on his computer.

What is really aggravating is that no one discovered this double booking for over four months. I don't think so. I think what happened is that someone with more pull wanted this particular cabin. Can't prove this but I would bet my bottom dollar. This is the only thing that would explain the four month gap.

:mad::mad::mad:

Well...the four month gap is the clincher. IF the room had been double booked, they should have notified you immediately. Within 2 weeks. In that instance, no compensation other than matching the rate/similar location you had in an equivalent category. Maybe a token bottle of wine/flowers in the stateroom.

However, with that length of time going by, you should be offered compensation. Stateroom upgrade with OBC sounds reasonable to me. (By upgrade I mean, inside to out, outside to balcony, balcony to suite type...a REAL upgrade.) OBC, probably $100. I'd be more than pleased with more than that. JMO.

While aboard the Connie last December we booked our cabin for December of this year also aboard the Connie. We booked 6145 and paid the required deposit. The reservation was made by Celebrity's person on board and was confirmed in the printout he provided. We do have a TA and the reservation was turned over to her.

We got an email from her because Celebrity contacted her to inform her that our cabin was double booked furthermore Celebrity is telling her that the other reservation was made earlier than ours consequently we will have to either change dates or change cabins.

To say that this is unsettling is an understatement but it has happened so now we have to take the lemmons and make lemmonade. We really need help and input from others to which this same sort of thing has happened. What compensation would be appropriate and fair in a case like this??

Due to job shcedules and obligations we cannot go cruising at another time. There are other cabins of the same type as we reserved but they aren't nearly as nice as 6145 nor are they in as good a location.

Nothing concrete is on the table yet but we are hearing words like $300 OBC from our TA. She also mentioned a possibility of upgrading us to another unspecified type of cabin (6145 is a SkySuite). We book early and specify a cabin that we'll really like despite =X='s policy about proce drops after final payement.

Right now I would say this is a mess. All inputs with advice and information are welcome. Thanks in advance and everyone have a great day out there.

discovered thru a friends child working with the cruiseline that someone really high up had wanted our suite so we got told it had already been booked & to choose another with no compensation offered either...(this was several yrs ago now)

Big lie - they just wanted the suite and there wasn't much we cld do (cause we cldn't divulge our friends childs name as they might have lost their job)..except for what we did do!!

Wrote a letter & will NEVER cruise with that line again (they lost 2 suite cruises yrly + friends & relatives now not travelling with them either making 5-6 cruises in total lost yrly plus not quiet when talking about that lines practices either & thats terrible for a business..:)

Love getting their pamphlets & telling them when they call, why we aren't interested anymore!! :)

Its one reason I am at Celebrity now and not regretting it.

Sure hope this didn't happen to you, although, since the booking wasn't recorded in the computer when u booked and wld have been if it had been booked before, I am suspicious it is exactly like what happened to us..:(

Hope u can straighten it out and at the very least get decent OBCs to make up for it...Plse post and let us know what transpires!!

Have great cruisin'! :)

Okay, I misunderstood. I thought you said you had done an onboard booking, in which case you would have put down the deposit at that time (hindsight is always 20/20, but in the future, that's probably your best bet and if you put it on a credit card, it would go through immediately....with a check, it may be delayed by waiting for it to clear). That way you'd be assured of getting the cabin you want, and you can always transfer it over to your own travel agent when you get home.

It's ashame it happened, though. BTW, if the confirmation you received from the agency was generated by Celebrity, then it was Celebrity's fault. If it was on the Agency's invoice, then I would guess it was the TA's fault. I do outside sales for a brick and mortar travel agency, and I always send my guests the actual invoice that Celebrity sends me when a deposit is made. I always tell my guests to look it over and be sure all the info is correct. Apparently yours was originally correct, and as I said, if it was the invoice generated by Celebrity's system, I think you would have had a good argument that they were at fault.

Celebrity's Transatlantics opened up a couple of weeks ago and about a week after they opened, we were sailing on RCI. I knew we could do an onboard booking on RCI for Celebrity, so I put a courtesy hold on the cabin I wanted so it wouldn't be taken before we boarded, and as soon as the Future Cruise Consultant desk opened on embarkation day, we were there with credit card in hand! And the beauty of doing the onboard booking was that we only had to deposit $100/pp, got a $300 OBC, and a complimentary two cat upgrade.

Hopefully, next time something so unfortunate doesn't happen for you.

Jo-Ann

It was the last day of the cruise and the on board x agent said we didn't have to make a deposit then as long as we make the deposit w/i a week through the ta at home.

DABear,

I cannot imagine how frustrated you must be.

If your TA cannot make this right contact the supervisor and any person above them. There is no way I would be content with the downgrade at the CC price. The OBC, while a nice gesture if it is coming from the X, does not address the financial problem created by the TA. They screwed up and for the sake of good will and honesty they should be proactive and rectify the situation.

We have been on one Carnival cruise but I was impressed with the way they handled a situation. We had booked an aft, totally aft, cabin on the Glory. Our TA got a phone call from Carnival saying the people who were currently booked in our aft cabin Carnival's highest level passenger (like Elite or Diamond plus) wanted to keep the cabin for a back to back but because we had booked the cabin it had to be our decision to give it up. They offered us a penthouse suite to give up our stateroom. We took it.

I felt they were more than honorable, no stories or moves without explaining the situation to us.

We have been on one Carnival cruise but I was impressed with the way they handled a situation. We had booked an aft, totally aft, cabin on the Glory. Our TA got a phone call from Carnival saying the people who were currently booked in our aft cabin Carnival's highest level passenger (like Elite or Diamond plus) wanted to keep the cabin for a back to back but because we had booked the cabin it had to be our decision to give it up. They offered us a penthouse suite to give up our stateroom. We took it.

I felt they were more than honorable, no stories or moves without explaining the situation to us.

This is the kind of thing that HAL (owned by Carnival Corp.) does.

Celebrity has pre-cruise customer service issues.

We had two cruises booked on the Connie back in 2007 (in one of the much loved aft cabins)...and planned to cancel one of them since I didn't have enough vacation time to do both. After we decided which one we wanted to cancel my TA notified Celebrity and somehow they cancelled the wrong cruise. Our aft cabin was quickly booked by someone else. At that time, the only cabin with a balcony available on the ship was the Royal Suite. I joked with my TA telling her to tell Celebrity that the only way they could make up for their error would be to upgrade us to the RS..never thinking they would. When my TA called, she didn't even have to ask...they offered it.:) :D Later on a number of balconies opened up....I was sure they would take the RS back, but it all worked out beautifully. The price of the cruise was quite reasonable to begin with and we ended up in the RS for the price of a CC.

We have found that for the most part Celebrity does try to please their passengers. If you ask them what they suggest you do since you had your heart set on that cabin, hopefully they will come up with something that will work for you. Good luck!

Liz

Archived