Most Carnival cabins are smoking? e.g. all non-spa cabins?

mikeerdas

I'm researching the Carnival Dream. My background is that I have mostly cruised RCL, but am eager to try Carnival. In reading about the spa rooms, people evidently book them even if they don't use the spa because the rooms are non-smoking "in the cabin and on the balcony."

I always book interior, so I don't care about balconies. But does this mean all non-spa rooms on all Carnival ships allow smoking in the cabins? Never really thought about it cruising RCL. I assumed all cabins were non-smoking and have never smelled smoke in an RCL interior cabin.

Also, if I choose the Dream, can anyone recommend a main or riviera cabin that is likely to be quiet / free of known noise issues? With spa rooms, some here have complained about a weird "gong" noise in that area. My wife and I are light sleepers, so that's an issue.

I don't know the layout of the ship so I don't know what to expect. I generally prefer aft rooms but mid-ship is fine too. The Dream sounds like a fabulous ship but if most cabins are smoking ones, that's a deal breaker to me as someone who's sensitive to, and just plain doesn't like, smoke.

yes, all cabins allow smoking on Carnival, except spa cabins.

Never been a problem to me. If you do smell smoke, the cabin steward will take care of it.

Thanks Firefly. What can the steward do about baked-on-the-walls smoke smell?

Also, could you or someone else confirm the following: I've read that if get a spa cabin as an "upgrade" from a non-spa cabin, that you don't get free spa entrance privileges. Is that true? And what do people mean by "upgrade"? As an upgrade offered to you on a web site or as a free or paid upgrade at check-in on embarkation?

We are non-smokers (former smokers who quit 20 years ago actually), and have never smelled stale smoke in any of our cabins. There was only one time we did not like smoking being allowed in all the rooms, and that's when we had a smoker next door on the balcony. We like to sleep with the door open and were not able to do so that trip.

Thanks Firefly. What can the steward do about baked-on smoke smell in the walls? Just wondering what they'd use specifically to get rid of the smell.

Also, could you or someone else confirm the following: I've read that if get a spa cabin as an "upgrade" from a non-spa cabin, that you don't get free spa entrance privileges. Is that true? And what do people mean by "upgrade"? As an upgrade offered to you on a web site or as a free or paid upgrade at check-in on embarkation?

Not sure if the smoke issue is worth the extra cost of booking a spa interior cabin. But if it is, I want to be sure I get full spa privileges.

There are no 'baked on' smells in the walls. The cabins are very thoroughly cleaned after each cruise. I have never once had any odor of smoke in any of my cabins... none. I don't think it should be a concern.

You're right about getting a Spa cabin as an upgrade... the Spa privileges are not included but you can purchase them separately.

:)

I'm sensitive to the smell of smoke. In 15 Carnival sruises I have never smelled smoke in my cabin nor, more importantly, on my pillow. I have smelled smoke in the hallways. Last cruise we had a balcony and the upwind neighbors smoked a bit. Caught only some of it.

The room stewards have their tricks to clean the air.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the smoking issue is a non-issue. And although I don't like smoke, it wouldn't ruin my trip if the cabin was very mildly smoky smelling.

I understand about the balcony thing. Once lived on a top-floor apartment with a nice deck. Couldn't use it though because of my neighbor below who was always out on the deck smoking. I'm fine with others smoking, but not literally in my face (up through the deck)--and I prefer to avoid it where I can.

Also, if I choose the Dream, can anyone recommend a main or riviera cabin that is likely to be quiet / free of known noise issues? With spa rooms, some here have complained about a weird "gong" noise in that area. My wife and I are light sleepers, so that's an issue.

I don't know the layout of the ship so I don't know what to expect. I generally prefer aft rooms but mid-ship is fine too. The Dream sounds like a fabulous ship but if most cabins are smoking ones, that's a deal breaker to me as someone who's sensitive to, and just plain doesn't like, smoke.

HI, I have cruise on a few different cruise lines and most of them allow smoking in there rooms now... But, I'm very very sensitive to smoke I don't know if I'm allergic to it or if you even can be but I know when I walk in to a house that someone has smoked it I start sneezing and feel ill....

But that being said Ill get to the point of your question... I have NEVER had any issues with any of the state rooms I have stayed in.... And the way I look at it is, it is what it is you will pass people smoking around the ship and yes even if your balcony is non-smoking others aren't and you do risk smelling it in other areas...

I was on the Triumph Last week .. Smoking was NOT allowed in cabins unless you had a blacony room. I asked 2 stewards who both confirmened no smoking ..

Iv had stewards tell me this too and came back and confirmed they were just blowing hot air. Not true. Maybe they didnt want to clean up after a smoker, not sure why a cabin steward wouldnt know the rules.

Lots of confused people in the world though, doesnt mean the rules changed for Triumph, or on Conquest (where a steward told me).

My wife and I are light sleepers. And we usually book interior cabins. Typically the least expensive class of cabin aside from "Guaranteed." We like to choose specific cabins. So this seems to put us on either the riviera or main deck.

Can anyone recommend any particular cabins / cabin areas on these decks that are quiet? Or areas to avoid? I don't know the layout of the ship and want to be sure we don't have a gym or disco above us or be near any noisy areas on any side. I see some "white space" areas and don't know what those are. I want to "choose wisely" before I commit to an ES rate with a non-refundable deposit.

Everything on Riveria is quiet, but like any other ship, the extreme fore and aft can have vibrations or docking noises.

Main deck, dont get below the kitchen.

I was on the Triumph Last week .. Smoking was NOT allowed in cabins unless you had a blacony room. I asked 2 stewards who both confirmened no smoking ..

You were lied to or the stewards were misinformed.

All the cabins on Triumph allow smoking.

I'm researching the Carnival Dream. My background is that I have mostly cruised RCL, but am eager to try Carnival. In reading about the spa rooms, people evidently book them even if they don't use the spa because the rooms are non-smoking "in the cabin and on the balcony."

I always book interior, so I don't care about balconies. But does this mean all non-spa rooms on all Carnival ships allow smoking in the cabins? Never really thought about it cruising RCL. I assumed all cabins were non-smoking and have never smelled smoke in an RCL interior cabin.

We have cruised eight times so far-five on Carnival and three on Royal Caribbean. I have asthma, and cigarette smoke is one of my triggers. So far, we have never had a lingering smokey smell in any of our cabins.

Ironically, of all the cruises we've taken, Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas (2010) was the smokiest ship of them all. We could not even enjoy walking the Royal Promenade. Carnival Splendor (2011) and Carnival Miracle (2009) were the least smokiest ships we've sailed. (Paradise (2000) wins, but she was a non-smoking ship at the time.)

Check out cruisedeckplans.com to see Carnival Dream's layout for what is above and below each deck.

I did not read the smoking policy prior to booking with carnival and I assumed smoking in rooms would not be allowed. ick.

Well, I guess if you didn't read the smoking policy you would have no idea what is allowed or isn't....which seems to be the case.

You were lied to or the stewards were misinformed.

All the cabins on Triumph allow smoking.

Yeah it looks like it. Didnt smell smoke so I figured they were telling truth. Could have saved me several trips to the Lido deck.

As far as I know smoking is not allowed inside any of the cabins on Carnival Ships. Smoking is allowed on the balonys so if you are a non-smoker like my husband and I are, it is unpleasant when you are trying to enjoy your balcony when cigarette smoke and ashes are blown onto you or your space. Spa balconies on the Spa deck do not have a roof over them so they are not at all private as people above you will be strolling around, hanging over your balcony, dripping drinks, throwing cigarette butts and other debris on it. I speak from experience on this. It is also blazing hot there during the day and if it rains, you cannot enjoy it. Smoking is permitted only in certain areas on the ships. Don't know about interior rooms but when booking a room, be sure to check the deck maps. If you are above the theater, you will hear everything there. If you are below the lido deck, it will sound like a herd of horses trampling above you. If you are next to elevators, machine sounds. My advise is to book really early for a cruise so you can choose a room which suits you while they are still available. I have been on the Conquest, Dream, Miracle, Triumph and Spirit. Each ship was unique in it's own way. There were pluses and minuses on all but all in all great vacations. Going back on the Dream next January and Glory this coming October. And, going back to Alaska, July 2012. :-D

As far as I know smoking is not allowed inside any of the cabins on Carnival Ships. Smoking is allowed on the balonys so if you are a non-smoker like my husband and I are, it is unpleasant when you are trying to enjoy your balcony when cigarette smoke and ashes are blown onto you or your space. Spa balconies on the Spa deck do not have a roof over them so they are not at all private as people above you will be strolling around, hanging over your balcony, dripping drinks, throwing cigarette butts and other debris on it. I speak from experience on this. It is also blazing hot there during the day and if it rains, you cannot enjoy it. Smoking is permitted only in certain areas on the ships. Don't know about interior rooms but when booking a room, be sure to check the deck maps. If you are above the theater, you will hear everything there. If you are below the lido deck, it will sound like a herd of horses trampling above you. If you are next to elevators, machine sounds. My advise is to book really early for a cruise so you can choose a room which suits you while they are still available. I have been on the Conquest, Dream, Miracle, Triumph and Spirit. Each ship was unique in it's own way. There were pluses and minuses on all but all in all great vacations. Going back on the Dream next January and Glory this coming October. And, going back to Alaska, July 2012. :-D

Smoking IS allowed in all Carnival cabins and balconies EXCEPT for the Spa cabins and balconies.

I can attest to the "gong" sound on the Dream. (Spa cabin Interior)

It was cabin 11223. Our neighbors on either side of us also heard it.

It was only 18 hours out of a 9 day cruise...but it was loud! And while it did not ruin our cruise, since there is no way to guarantee how long it could last...I would be leary.

As for the smoking, in our 40+ Carnival cruises, we have walked into a cabin twice that had clearly been smoked in.

The worst was on the Fantasy (May 2010). It took 2 days to get 95% of stench out.

Personally, if I were going to sail on the Dream...I would book a Spa Balcony.

That way you are assured no smoke AND no GONG....

( if you get a free upgrade to the Spa cabin on the Dream...you do NOT get the Cloud 9 Spa passes.)

Archived