Alaska cruise

Txpeacekeeper

Family is planning a cruise to Alaska in 2012 and trying to decide which cruise line to use. Any suggestions or recommendations on which cruise line offers the best itinerary. Better to sail out of Seattle or Vancouver?.

Your question is very broad. It would help to know what you and your family enjoy, how formal you want to dress, how long you want to cruise, etc.

The other question is easy. Although Seattle is the easiest for embarkation and flying, Vancouver departures nearly always have a much better itinerary.

Vancouver sailings are more scenic with less likelihood of rough waters.

As far as itinerary, it depends on your interests. For me, the best 7 day round trip would be the HAL out of Vancouver that goes to Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay. If you find you want to travel out of Seattle, I like the HAL cruise that goes to Sitka and Glacier Bay. If you have 14 days, HAL offers a round trip out of Seattle with an amazing itinerary. With this itinerary it travels to the east of Vancouver Island when it is going Northbound, so you get the advantage of the extra scenic sailing even though you are leaving out of Seattle.

For a one way, I would go with the SB Princess that goes to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. However, others might prefer more port intensive itineraries. I happen to love glaciers. I suggest you get ahold of a Frommer's or Fodor's Alaska books and do some reading. Find out what you and your family would like to do. Once you realize what you really want to see and do, it will be easier to select a cruise. Although for other destinations many pick a cruiseline first, with Alaska you will find that many choose by itinerary.

You first need to decide on an itinerary.

If you want to spend time in Alaska pre or post cruise then you'll want to take either a North or South Bound Alaska Cruise.

If you not interested in spending time in Alaska a R/T inside passage cruise is quite nice.

I prefer to leave out of Vancouver but Seattle is another option.

There are many fine cruise lines. Ones that have been sailing Alaska for many years include Princess, Celebrity and Holland. Of course there are many others to choose from at a variety of price points.

Keith

Apologize for being so broad..looking preferably at a 7 day cruise that would present the possibility of whale sightings, wildlife sightings, and of course glaciers.

Juneau and Icy Strait are great for whale watching excursions. You might see whales from your cruiseship, but they are little specs in the distance. An excursion will get you much more up close and personal. Sitka is a wildlife gem if you get out on the water with an excursion. The two most popular glaciers areas from cruise ships are Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. Some cruiseships go to College Fjords and others go to Tracy Arm for scenic sailings. Tracy Arm is an amazing journey through the fjord. The thing is, you may or may not see the glaciers at the end of the fjord due to ice jamming. So, if glaciers are a priority, do not choose a tour that goes only to Tracy Arm.

There are good sailings from both Seattle and Vancouver. There are ships from multiple cruiseline that do Glacier Bay which IMHO is the must do for someone that might only go once.

Wildlife can be seen during excursions in ports and in some of the scenic cruising. It matters less IMHO whether you go roundtrip or one way and whether you go east or west of Vancouver Island.

The biggest difference is if you are doing one way or round trip and whether you want to add on a landportion, after that what works for your schedule and budget and plan it up front so you get what you want.

Apologize for being so broad..looking preferably at a 7 day cruise that would present the possibility of whale sightings, wildlife sightings, and of course glaciers.

Head to your library and take out Alaska By Cruiseship and Alaska travel guides. Find out about the differences in ports, glaciers routings. Each is very different from the others. If there are activities that are priorities, then be sure to get to the areas, that offer them.

"Wildlife" whales, are easy, humpbacks are seen on 100% of the tours out of Juneau and Hoonah. IF you are thinking bears- then be sure to look at peak times. These are very costly fly in tours- mostly, and for me, I never consider any off peak areas.

Archived