Is it just me or ??

mprcruiser

Does everyone else suffer from the loud music in the theaters? When we attend the shows on cruises the band always seems to be louder than the performers. I have to put ear plugs in my ears just to be able to understand the singers and performers. Is it just me?

mprcruiser

Movie theaters are horribly loud. I seem to experience the movie through the vibrations the loud sounds create. My husband and I have just stopped going to movie theaters. Have noticed that television shows are increasing the background music to the point one cannot hear the actors voices. And then, there is the sound difference between programs and commercials.

I have pretty much stopped going to the theater shows on my cruises because of the excessively high volume of the music. It actually makes my ears hurt.

I am at that stage of life where I have a very minimal hearing loss, but at the same time, my ears are VERY sensitive to certain type of sounds, especially certain musical tones.

What we could never understand is why a musical group must each have their instruments electronically amplified. Their presence in one of the bars aboard is to entertain and add atmosphere to a room. At the volumes they choose to play, it is almost impossible to hold a conversation or for that matter your waiter to hear your order for a drink. And no amount of requests to tone down the volume is ever honoured

During our latest cruise on the Emerald we found the Wheelhouse bar to be extremely loud. So loud in fact we left with drink in hand! I haven't noticed volumes that bothered me elsewhere.

We all need to complain about the excessive level of sound in the theaters on cruise ships and also in movie theaters and restaurants at home. My husband uses ear plugs when we cruise. I'm already deaf so I don't need them but sometimes it's so loud it even bothers me! We'll soon have an epidemic of hearing loss in this country because of noise and people having music piped directly into their ears all day long.

And there is no cure. Once your hearing is gone it is gone forever and believe me that's not a good thing. Hard of hearing passengers can get special headsets to help them hear in the theaters so there is no need to crank it up that loud.

It seems to me that music in restaurants, clubs, theaters, and on ships, is programmed and controlled by younger people that are not happy unless their music is VERY loud, and I'm sure that the generation of my children, born in 60's and 70's, are all hard of hearing at a very young age. We were in a very nice restaurant for Easter, had an expensive meal (around $100 for two, without alchohol) and the music was heavy metal and very LOUD. It is getting so that we don't like to go to restaurants or theaters any more. DH is hard of hearing and it bothers him too! JMHO.

We imagine that many of today's younger generation will never know the murmuring sounds of a brook or the soft breeze in the trees. The volume at which they address one another indicates that much hearing must have been lost.

But the ear plugs is a great idea and we will bring them with us next week. If the band in the Wheelhouse plays like it thinks it's at Woodstock we plan on standing in front of them and inserting the plugs into our ears so that there can be little question as to our feelings.

We imagine that many of today's younger generation will never know the murmuring sounds of a brook or the soft breeze in the trees. The volume at which they address one another indicates that much hearing must have been lost.

But the ear plugs is a great idea and we will bring them with us next week. If the band in the Wheelhouse plays like it thinks it's at Woodstock we plan on standing in front of them and inserting the plugs into our ears so that there can be little question as to our feelings.

Hey, I'm with you. I am of the "older generation" and, according to the people who test hearing, have exceptional hearing. DH has hearing loss and it seems that, even with that, he suffers when we attend any function with live music.

I like your idea of inserting the ear plugs in front of them and will use it on our next cruise in October.

Thanks so much

mprcruiser

The shows are way too loud. We were on Emerald Princess 11/28/10. We did not see one show because of the loudness. We would last about five minutes and then we we would have to leave. We left the show that had the Beatle's music after two songs (I realy want to see that show). The best thing that I saw at a Princess show was the senior couple (sitting in the row in front of us) could not take the loud music. She had her hands over her ears and he took his hearing aids out of his ears and was holding them up.

I did write that the shows were too loud on the coment card.

Princess are you listening? Or is the music too loud to hear us.:)

Maria

It is too loud.

I have ringing in one ear and loud music makes it worse.

30 years of loud noises at work did it and rock concerts....59 years old now and our son plays heavy metal music...age 22, in basement(drums)

I can't win!!!:eek:

This seems to be a problem for a lot of us so let's do something about. Go to the Purser's desk and request ear plugs for the shows because the loud music is damaging our ears. If enough people complain something might change.

Archived